Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's the sweet spot currently for water pump, low temp thermostat, belt, etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:47 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Sula
Right.

But I replaced my OEM water pump with a non-OEM Pierburg that is (at least under close visual examination) indistinguishable. Absent evidence, I'm assuming their quality is unlikely to be vastly different.

I think it's probable that Porsche went to Pierburg and said "We're planning to build a water-cooled flat 6 - please supply us with a good water pump." without adding "It needs to be somehow special in a way that isn't evident - and even though we're trying to keep costs down we'll of course be happy to pay the extra that this will inevitably cost."

It may possibly be worth noting that the OEM water pumps originally installed in 996 models are nothing special in terms of demonstrated service life.

Yes, the real question is what the service life of the oem, aftermarket, and official replacements actually is.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:43 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Sula
Right.

But I replaced my OEM water pump with a non-OEM Pierburg that is (at least under close visual examination) indistinguishable. Absent evidence, I'm assuming their quality is unlikely to be vastly different.

I think it's probable that Porsche went to Pierburg and said "We're planning to build a water-cooled flat 6 - please supply us with a good water pump." without adding "It needs to be somehow special in a way that isn't evident - and even though we're trying to keep costs down we'll of course be happy to pay the extra that this will inevitably cost."

It may possibly be worth noting that the OEM water pumps originally installed in 996 models are nothing special in terms of demonstrated service life.
Visual inspection is only small part of QC. Two parts can easily look exactly the same and not be. You are mixing up OE and OEM. OE is what come in a Porsche box. OEM is the aftermarket version made by the company that made the OE part. In this case Porsche is OE and this is what was installed on the engine at the factory or at the dealer. OEM is Pierburg but only if they actually make the OE pump for Porsche.
Also, Porsche didn't go to anyone asking them to make a water pump or anything else for that matter. That's not how this works. Porsche and everyone else, specs a products that the intersected manufacturers can submit bids on. They might have a list of approved manufacturers to weed out all the crappy ones. The bid prices are often down to the 7th decimal (I've seen a quote like this myself) and then they pick a supplier and the process of getting their product approved for the contract starts.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:57 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
This isn't necessarily true. Just because the part is made by the same manufacturer, doesn't guarantee it's the same exactly part and only the packaging is different. Often the OE (Porsche) has different/higher quality standards than the ones the manufacturer sells under their own brand. Commonly when the OE makes a part that doesn't meet the standards of the client (Porsche), but does for their own brand, the part will be sold as their own or another brand. This doesn't mean the non OE brand is bad, it just that it meets a different set of standards.
There's a good chance it is the same part , the manufacture processes and tooling etc needed to produce a part will out way using different processes with lower cost materials, a water pump is a pretty basic part really , trust me it's the same !
Old 02-22-2019, 09:37 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Last edited by docmirror; 02-24-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:55 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I just installed a Porsche water pump, LN Thermostat and Contitech belt.
Thats what I would recommend.
The water pump and thermostat was what was suggested during a class I attended recently.
The belt was my personal choice.
I also replaced all the bolts.
They’re cheap.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:48 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I just installed a Porsche water pump, LN Thermostat and Contitech belt.
Thats what I would recommend.
The water pump and thermostat was what was suggested during a class I attended recently.
The belt was my personal choice.
I also replaced all the bolts.
They’re cheap.

Interesting discussion guys.

Basically it sounds like there aren't many successfully using anything but OE, OEM, water pumps or LN thermostats. Is that correct?

Or, to put a point on it, all other water pumps and thermostats fail miserably in comparison?

Has anyone had a different experience?
Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 PM
Sula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
Has anyone had a different experience?
I used a Pierburg water pump and a Wahler low-temp thermostat, which have thus far given excellent service. I'm not sure if this counts as a different experience.

To be fair, these are parts that should be trouble-free for many miles and years - so it may be quite a while until I can say whether they've demonstrated acceptable quality.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:24 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Last edited by docmirror; 02-24-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:32 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

I used a wahler in my 2000 too. They seem like a simple device to me. They either work or they don’t. If you’re concerned, you can test the thermostat on the stove in a pot of hot water with a thermometer. Somebody will probably come along and explain that the better one opens faster or further... I opted to save a few bucks.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:18 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cds72911
I used a wahler in my 2000 too. They seem like a simple device to me. They either work or they don’t. If you’re concerned, you can test the thermostat on the stove in a pot of hot water with a thermometer. Somebody will probably come along and explain that the better one opens faster or further... I opted to save a few bucks.

Thanks guys. Perhaps this thread needed a bit more clarity. It seemed to me that there were enough guys using enough water pumps and thermostats that they would be able to give us some feedback regarding the different ones they have installed. Something beyond mantra and marketing.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:33 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

thanks for your help guys. I was hoping to create a bit of a database that would help those who come later. Apparently it was a little too oblique. In retrospect maybe I should have asked a more direct question such as which parts have failed. With a topic like water pumps there have been so many removed and replaced at this point that you would think there was some kind of trend slash pattern that might be useful.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:24 AM
MY03911
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long have your OE water pumps been lasting?
Old 02-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pierburg Water Pump
https://www.warehouse33auto.com/PIER...996-106-011-57

Low Temp 71* C Whaler Thermostat
https://www.warehouse33auto.com/WAHL...996-106-013-59

Continental Belt
https://www.warehouse33auto.com/CONT...996-102-151-66

-Jason
Old 02-27-2019, 03:06 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03911
How long have your OE water pumps been lasting?
My Porsche water pump was installed by Flat6Innovations in late 2013, about 33K miles back.(During The IMS Solution installation)
I replaced it in January 2019 with another Porsche water pump because Jake suggested it. (He said do it, and the next weekend I did!)
It looked fine, which is a good thing.
I replaced it because a failed water pump can be bad, VERY bad.
I considerate it a maintenance item, and will replace it every 4 years from now on.

I also replace my thermostat with an LN low temp one at the same time.

Quick Reply: What's the sweet spot currently for water pump, low temp thermostat, belt, etc.?