Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's the sweet spot currently for water pump, low temp thermostat, belt, etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 05:57 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Default What's the sweet spot currently for water pump, low temp thermostat, belt, etc.?

I'm digging this new car. It deserves new bits. I'll buy from the stealer if it's worth it.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Apollo76
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you asking where the best deals on parts are to be found online? If so, it pays to shop around, as you may not find a "one stop shop." I usually start with Pelican and then go from there. Others here can chime in on their trusted sources.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:12 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

More a question about which ones.
Oem, aftermarket? What works, what works less.

1. Water pump
2. Low temp stat
3. etc
Old 02-20-2019, 10:17 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Get the plastic impeller water pump. Go ahead with a low temp T-stat too, there’s not much downside unless you live in very cold climates where temps are freezing and you drive all winter long. As for v-belt, I’m not sure. When it doubt, choose OEM unless the cost is stupidly high.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:59 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Most people here would recommend the OEM Pierburg water pump. Get a metal gasket and low temp thermostat. Try Warehouse33 and enter "Rennlist" to get a 10% discount. I don't think there is a downside to the low temp thermostat in cold climates.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:46 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Most people here would recommend the OEM Pierburg water pump. Get a metal gasket and low temp thermostat. Try Warehouse33 and enter "Rennlist" to get a 10% discount. I don't think there is a downside to the low temp thermostat in cold climates.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:13 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

I've heard Pierburg for the waterpump, sounds like reasonable logic to avoid the metal impellers, there are lots of options though.

Wahler for the low temp thermostat?

Old 02-21-2019, 08:19 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

FCP Euro offers a life time warranty on parts purchased through them for what its worth. But they do seem to be a couple bucks more than the competitors so weigh your options.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:45 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

The Pierburg water pump works very well and is totally acceptable. Don't forget the gasket. LN Engineering sells a low temp thermostat that is verified low temp. A bit of a premium cost but worth it. I use a Gates serpentine belt K060832 (99 C2 3.4 with AC). Good quality, reasonable price, available at the local auto parts store.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:17 AM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I have just used Piertburg waterpump, low temp termostat, Continental belt and OEM for the tensioners.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:43 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DGI
FCP Euro offers a life time warranty on parts purchased through them for what its worth. But they do seem to be a couple bucks more than the competitors so weigh your options.

Yes, they carry the Wahler 180 degree stat, not the160 though.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Sula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Most people here would recommend the OEM Pierburg water pump.
To clarify: Standard wisdom is that the Porsche OEM water pump is made by Pierburg. If you buy it from a source other than Porsche, you get the same pump at a substantially lower cost.

You definitely want a plastic impeller: a failing pump with a metal impeller can score the engine block. I believe (but don't know for certain) that Pierburg pumps made for the 996 all have plastic impellers.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:49 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Sula
.........Standard wisdom is that the Porsche OEM water pump is made by Pierburg. If you buy it from a source other than Porsche, you get the same pump at a substantially lower cost........
This isn't necessarily true. Just because the part is made by the same manufacturer, doesn't guarantee it's the same exactly part and only the packaging is different. Often the OE (Porsche) has different/higher quality standards than the ones the manufacturer sells under their own brand. Commonly when the OE makes a part that doesn't meet the standards of the client (Porsche), but does for their own brand, the part will be sold as their own or another brand. This doesn't mean the non OE brand is bad, it just that it meets a different set of standards.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:26 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Imo000
This isn't necessarily true. Just because the part is made by the same manufacturer, doesn't guarantee it's the same exactly part and only the packaging is different. Often the OE (Porsche) has different/higher quality standards than the ones the manufacturer sells under their own brand. Commonly when the OE makes a part that doesn't meet the standards of the client (Porsche), but does for their own brand, the part will be sold as their own or another brand. This doesn't mean the non OE brand is bad, it just that it meets a different set of standards.

Good point. That's why I'm asking for what people are using. Guys, what is working vs. what is not?
Old 02-21-2019, 06:21 PM
Sula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
This isn't necessarily true...
Right.

But I replaced my OEM water pump with a non-OEM Pierburg that is (at least under close visual examination) indistinguishable. Absent evidence, I'm assuming their quality is unlikely to be vastly different.

I think it's probable that Porsche went to Pierburg and said "We're planning to build a water-cooled flat 6 - please supply us with a good water pump." without adding "It needs to be somehow special in a way that isn't evident - and even though we're trying to keep costs down we'll of course be happy to pay the extra that this will inevitably cost."

It may possibly be worth noting that the OEM water pumps originally installed in 996 models are nothing special in terms of demonstrated service life.

Quick Reply: What's the sweet spot currently for water pump, low temp thermostat, belt, etc.?