Sponsored by:

996 Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 02:44 PM
cmoody127
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 996 Search

I've posted in here a few times looking for another pcar to replace a 2002 Cab I sold a few years ago, but prioritized saving for my upcoming wedding (dang it's getting expensive) and finally feel comfortable enough to search again. Located in Atlanta (but will travel or ship for the right car) and looking for the following:
2002+ 996.2 or 997.1
Manual
Coupe
C2 or C4S
I have had a few close deals, but have not closed one on the ideal car. Looking to spend somewhere around $25k, but obviously price is based on the car in question. Looking for under 100k miles, but my focus in on the maintenance and history of the car, not necessarily the mileage. Thanks in advance for any leads of recommendations! Even more eager to get back into a Porsche after searching and some test drives.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

99 C2, 6MT, 95k Miles. Early 4/98 build so none of the IMS issues. Could be yours for a mere $20k.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You should be able to find a decent C2 in Atlanta for that. That's about what I paid in September 2018 for mine. I found mine using autotempest.com which found the listing on ebay. I've only been following the market since middle of last year, but I've see a TON of cabs for sale and just a few coupes and probably only half of those are manual (I think I saw somebody in another thread on here say about the same thing for another city). There seem to be a few dealers where most of the 996s pop up.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:40 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

I should have said 996 C2. I haven't seen a 997 near that price unless it had been wrecked two or more times. 997s will likely be more like $35K on up.

I just looked on cargurus and there wasn't a single 996.2 coupe for sale within 50 miles of Roswell.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:56 AM
pcasanova
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Expand your search a little more & you'll find much more.

Here are some a little further away.

03, Blk / Blk, Manual, 64K miles asking $24.9K in TN
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AA29953S620625

05, Slv / Blk, but Auto + has 107K miles but asking $26K
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AA29905S716360

A little over with asking budget with asking price of $29K, but 07 Red / Tan, Manual, 93K in Rosewell
https://www.atlantamotorsportsga.com...e-911/50744810
If you are open at this price point, another (that is further away) is selling in the marketplace with less miles https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1125973

Just do a search up to 500 Miles, and you will be amazed. Find that Carfax.com & cargurus.com are pretty user friendly for searches.
Also keep an eye on the Marketplace here & on 6speed.

Good Luck. The hunt is sooo much fun!
Old 02-19-2019, 09:59 AM
cmoody127
Advanced

Originally Posted by TechSavvySam
I should have said 996 C2. I haven't seen a 997 near that price unless it had been wrecked two or more times. 997s will likely be more like $35K on up.

I just looked on cargurus and there wasn't a single 996.2 coupe for sale within 50 miles of Roswell.
Cargurus and autotemptest are great resources!
I was very close to buying an 84k mile 2005 C2 997.1 for $25k on the dot, but couldn't get out there fast enough (located in Dallas). I've heard from quite a few people that Atlanta is a great place to buy a 911, but you are right, once you take the cabs, autos and salvage out of the equation, there are not as many options.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Originally Posted by pcasanova
cargurus.com are pretty user friendly for searches.
meh. cargurus saved search is *very* weak, especially with OP searching for two types of 911s (996.2 and 997) because it only allows you to create one search for a given make and model. I know this because I was unsure of which model I was going to get when I was looking and tried to create two separate searches. I still have this one active and notifying me of the current market:

I'm a web application developer and I view cargurus as a company that is not innovating (at least on the consumer user interface side) and just trying to squeeze out as much money as they can. This is kind of a a shame because it seems they have better quality listings now than Autotrader. IMO *** Automotive has turned Autotrader into a marketing tool focused at car dealerships.

As you know if you live in Atlanta, if you go with a search more than 50 miles from north Atlanta suburbs, there's almost nothing Porsche-wise until you get to other states.

Also, when you set up a search, don't limit it by coupe or manual because it may exclude viable options for you because the options were set wrong on the listing--I've seen this a lot on the transmission. There aren't so many listings for 996s and 997s in Atlanta that you need a computer to sort through them for you.

Good luck in your search and *WHEN* you get a PPI, I recommend you be there for it. The indy that did the PPI on my car failed to notice one of the insides of the rear wheels was severely bent and the tire sidewall was bulged. I knew I was going to get new tires at some point, but that advanced that expense quite a few months from what I had planned. Also the indy said the clutch "seemed" good, but it was pretty much worn out (at 44K miles) when Flat6 looked at it.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:37 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Check out Facebook marketplace. I just did a 100 mile search around the atlanta area and found quite a few Porsche 996 and even 997 within your budget.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:37 AM
cmoody127
Advanced

meh. cargurus saved search is *very* weak, especially with OP searching for two types of 911s (996.2 and 997) because it only allows you to create one search for a given make and model. I know this because I was unsure of which model I was going to get when I was looking and tried to create two separate searches. I still have this one active and notifying me of the current market:

I'm a web application developer and I view cargurus as a company that is not innovating (at least on the consumer user interface side) and just trying to squeeze out as much money as they can. This is kind of a a shame because it seems they have better quality listings now than Autotrader. IMO *** Automotive has turned Autotrader into a marketing tool focused at car dealerships.

As you know if you live in Atlanta, if you go with a search more than 50 miles from north Atlanta suburbs, there's almost nothing Porsche-wise until you get to other states.

Also, when you set up a search, don't limit it by coupe or manual because it may exclude viable options for you because the options were set wrong on the listing--I've seen this a lot on the transmission. There aren't so many listings for 996s and 997s in Atlanta that you need a computer to sort through them for you.

Good luck in your search and *WHEN* you get a PPI, I recommend you be there for it. The indy that did the PPI on my car failed to notice one of the insides of the rear wheels was severely bent and the tire sidewall was bulged. I knew I was going to get new tires at some point, but that advanced that expense quite a few months from what I had planned. Also the indy said the clutch "seemed" good, but it was pretty much worn out (at 44K miles) when Flat6 looked at it.
Thanks, good advice on the PPI, I've never been there through a PPI, but will definitely remember that now.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:39 AM
cmoody127
Advanced

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Check out Facebook marketplace. I just did a 100 mile search around the atlanta area and found quite a few Porsche 996 and even 997 within your budget.
Will give Facebook marketplace another shot, but when I was looking for a new DD last year, I spend some time on there and at least 3/4 of ads (which appeared to be legit) ended up being scams. Not sure why or how, but an alarming amount of listings include real photos, etc. but are not legit.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:49 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoody127
Will give Facebook marketplace another shot, but when I was looking for a new DD last year, I spend some time on there and at least 3/4 of ads (which appeared to be legit) ended up being scams. Not sure why or how, but an alarming amount of listings include real photos, etc. but are not legit.
I found that to be the case on Craigslist too. You have to be extra careful with these types of cars. You have to use sound investigative techniques to avoid getting scammed out of money. Make sure you're dealing with a honest person. Go view the car in person. Trace the VIN. Check the title. You can always verify it at your local tag office.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:10 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Yeah, one really good thing about cargurus is most of the cars have the VIN listed and it then shows you accident history. I've only seen one or two that didn't have VIN and were listed by private sellers.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:19 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Also, if you don't have a Porsche at the moment, you can sign up for a PCA "test drive" and get access to see their classifieds. When I was looking, I saw a 997 in Florida that I was thinking about pursuing.

https://www.pca.org/pca-test-drive

I did a quick look and there are some 996.2 for sale in the southeast from the mid $20Ks on up.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoody127
Cargurus and autotemptest are great resources!
I was very close to buying an 84k mile 2005 C2 997.1 for $25k on the dot, but couldn't get out there fast enough (located in Dallas). I've heard from quite a few people that Atlanta is a great place to buy a 911, but you are right, once you take the cabs, autos and salvage out of the equation, there are not as many options.
I had recently realized that I had not stepped foot in a car dealership to investigate, pursue or purchase a vehicle since November 1998, when I leased my '99 GMC.
Over the last 20+ years all of our cars were purchased from the internet, up to last week when my wife leased a new Jeep. Then it all came back.
Note to self: Buying/selling hasn't changed at a dealership in 20 years.

Expand your search to find what you really want, transporting a car is nothing these days, if it is what you want.

When checking car history, do your due diligence in any geographic area that has gone through a national disaster at the same time the car the was serviced, registered and titled in that area.

If you are buying from a dealer, the first thing you should request in the trade in shop report (intake sheet). This is an internal document letting mgt know exactly what they have, think of it as an additional Post Trade Inspection.

lt will let you see what was suggested and what was done, all dealers can provide this.

Obviously carfax and autocheck, both.

Porsche authenticity certificate, but not really important in telling what has happened since build.

Check with Charles N. to see if the IMS repair has/has not been registered.

PPI from Porsche Dealer, pay the money

Investigate local PCA Club for anyone who might know the car, contact the club administrators. Be open minded about their opinions.

See if you can locate a relative, friend or even a member here on rennlist to go by and drive the car.

Not all is what it appears.

Last edited by NYoutftr; 02-19-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:16 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Also, if you don't have a Porsche at the moment, you can sign up for a PCA "test drive" and get access to see their classifieds. When I was looking, I saw a 997 in Florida that I was thinking about pursuing.

https://www.pca.org/pca-test-drive

I did a quick look and there are some 996.2 for sale in the southeast from the mid $20Ks on up.
Agreed. I found mine via the test drive program. PCA members are prone to be much more meticulous with their maintenance and record-keeping.

Quick Reply: 996 Search