Sponsored by:

C4S brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts
Default C4S brake upgrade

Close to needing brakes all around. I was considering jumping up to the 350mm rotors that i have seen other talk about on the forums. I am trying to figure out exactly what i need. Has anyone done this? Is it the 997 turbo rotors that i order? What about pads? I am aware that i need spacers and bolts - saw them on flee bay for 125$.

any help would be great.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:09 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

I can only speak to the Turbo, but yes it is 997 T rotors. No change for the pads, but they’ll ride just up to or perhaps a bit past the top of the rotor with the spacers. I’d strongly recommend to take the opportunity to switch to caliper mounting studs before you strip the threads on the uprights, which is inevitable after 2 or 3 removals of the caliper.

The 350s really full out the wheel nicely

Last edited by jayzbird; 02-15-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

why? what are you trying to achieve?
Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Not much. I just happen to be surfing forums and agree with the guys on the turbo forum that these brakes suck. Normal operation is ok, but if you need to stop quick there is little to be desired and a lot of pedal effort is needed. I figured since its already time for brakes why not upgrade to something a little bigger. Since i am already going to replace the pads and rotor all around it would only cost me a little more for spacers and bolts. Even if this only gave me a few feet of better stopping distance at 60mph it would be worth it to me. Street car only. I plan on doing some track events in the future but that is not the intent for the car. Car currently has OE Porsche pads and Rotors.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jayzbird
I can only speak to the Turbo, but yes it is 997 T rotors. No change for the pads, but they’ll ride just up to or perhaps a bit past the top of the rotor with the spacers. I’d strongly recommend to take the opportunity to switch to caliper mounting studs before you strip the threads on the uprights, which is inevitable after 2 or 3 removals of the caliper.

Is their a source for a stud kit?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

This is the first time that I’ve ever heard that the 996 C4S or turbo brakes suck. I though they were excellent when I owned a C4S.

You could always upgrade to PCCB. I think you can buy a conversion kit on Suncoast. It’s not cheap, but it should provide better brake performance.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dennis C
This is the first time that I’ve ever heard that the 996 C4S or turbo brakes suck. I though they were excellent when I owned a C4S.

You could always upgrade to PCCB. I think you can buy a conversion kit on Suncoast. It’s not cheap, but it should provide better brake performance.
A brief searched and i am sure you will find similar results that share my opinion. No way in hell am i spending that kinda dough for PCCB for a street car. Not needed and WAY too expensive. I am looking for an affordable upgrade. Not looking for track car braking capability.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:58 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not an expert, but I have driven my C4S on a track + quite a bit of street driving, and I never once thought the brakes were lacking in any capacity. I mean, they're specced for a car with 30% (100hp) more power, so they should be overkill for a C4S. I've also read every car magazine review for the C4S I've come across and I can't remember ever seeing anyone complain about braking. To each his own though - just wanted to post here so that down the road someone isn't saying "Literally everyone on the 996 forum is saying the C4S brakes are garbage and I should upgrade".

I will agree that a lot more pedal effort is needed in this car vs other's I've driven. I initially thought this was because the car is bigger and heavier - but I learned it has nothing to do with that. Its actually the amount the brakes are assisted by the booster. Porsche apparently assist less in order to give the driver more control and more feedback through the brake pedal (which I've come to appreciate). But, if you stomp on them, you stop fast.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:56 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

The only other German auto I have driven was a 1979 Leopard I mk 4 tank. The brake pedal is large enough to put both feet on. So my frame of reference might be a little skewed.

I think the brakes on my C4S are great, however, the next time I do my rotors, I am upgrading them to 350mm because reasons.

The rotors are a little more expensive, but more brakes = better.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:33 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
Is their a source for a stud kit?
Here is a link Tarett makes them. If you go this route I’d recommend calling them as you want the proper length studs for use with the spacers.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:56 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
I'm not an expert, but I have driven my C4S on a track + quite a bit of street driving, and I never once thought the brakes were lacking in any capacity. I mean, they're specced for a car with 30% (100hp) more power, so they should be overkill for a C4S. I've also read every car magazine review for the C4S I've come across and I can't remember ever seeing anyone complain about braking. To each his own though - just wanted to post here so that down the road someone isn't saying "Literally everyone on the 996 forum is saying the C4S brakes are garbage and I should upgrade".

I will agree that a lot more pedal effort is needed in this car vs other's I've driven. I initially thought this was because the car is bigger and heavier - but I learned it has nothing to do with that. Its actually the amount the brakes are assisted by the booster. Porsche apparently assist less in order to give the driver more control and more feedback through the brake pedal (which I've come to appreciate). But, if you stomp on them, you stop fast.
With proper fluid and pads, and cooling ducts, I’ve found the brakes adeqate for a 550hp turbo driven briskly on track, so I can’t image they’d ever be a problem for a C4. There is zero reason you’d ever need more on public roads. No joke about the pedal effort though. I had major issues with locking up trying to adjust to a spec Miata after the Porsche.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jayzbird

With proper fluid and pads, and cooling ducts, I’ve found the brakes adeqate for a 550hp turbo driven briskly on track, so I can’t image they’d ever be a problem for a C4. There is zero reason you’d ever need more on public roads. No joke about the pedal effort though. I had major issues with locking up trying to adjust to a spec Miata after the Porsche.
My intent is to just make them a little better. I already ordered 997 GT3 cooling ducts, Motul RBF600 Brake fluid and intend to do the 997 turbo rotor upgrades. I suspect i will be more than happy with that. I strongly agree about the pedal effort. I even considered doing the 997 GT3 Master Cylinder upgrade but it looks like cars with PSM will have codes set afterwards and my OCD won't allow for that. Again, a little better is all i am looking for.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

larger rotors will do nothing to shorten your stopping distances unless your stock brakes can't induce lockup (if thats the case, you have a mechanical problem).

You may want to have a closer look at your pads. RBF600 is a total waste for a mostly street driven car. ATE 200 is more than fine for street and occasional track use
Old 02-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
larger rotors will do nothing to shorten your stopping distances unless your stock brakes can't induce lockup (if thats the case, you have a mechanical problem).

You may want to have a closer look at your pads. RBF600 is a total waste for a mostly street driven car. ATE 200 is more than fine for street and occasional track use
Not going to argue the point about larger rotors, thats a no win argument. There is nothing wrong with my O.E. Porsche pads (other than they are 75% worn). Also don't see the issue in using a higher boiling point fluid when i got it for less than the price of the ATE 200. My car has nothing wrong with it. I agree with everyone on this thread as well as dozens before about the brakes work exactly as Porsche designed them too. I'm just not happy with that. I don't see any reason why upgrading would be a bad thing. Do you??
Old 02-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
Not going to argue the point about larger rotors, thats a no win argument. There is nothing wrong with my O.E. Porsche pads (other than they are 75% worn). Also don't see the issue in using a higher boiling point fluid when i got it for less than the price of the ATE 200. My car has nothing wrong with it. I agree with everyone on this thread as well as dozens before about the brakes work exactly as Porsche designed them too. I'm just not happy with that. I don't see any reason why upgrading would be a bad thing. Do you??
1. If you got RBF600 for less than ATE200, please provide the link
2. If you can lock up your tires, your larger rotors will not be an upgrade and add reciprocating and unsprung mass.
3. Larger rotors won't decrease your pedal effort or give you any sort of feel increase.

Quick Reply: C4S brake upgrade