C4S brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
1. If you got RBF600 for less than ATE200, please provide the link
2. If you can lock up your tires, your larger rotors will not be an upgrade and add reciprocating and unsprung mass.
3. Larger rotors won't decrease your pedal effort or give you any sort of feel increase.
Not sure how to provide a link to my co-worker. He runs rally cars and is sponsored by Motul. He gets stuff a little cheaper than we can. I also don't want to turn this into an argument. You have you views. I have mine. To each his own. I will do my upgrades and be happy. If its money in the trash, then i learned a lesson.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:19 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
My intent is to just make them a little better. I already ordered 997 GT3 cooling ducts, Motul RBF600 Brake fluid and intend to do the 997 turbo rotor upgrades. I suspect i will be more than happy with that. I strongly agree about the pedal effort. I even considered doing the 997 GT3 Master Cylinder upgrade but it looks like cars with PSM will have codes set afterwards and my OCD won't allow for that. Again, a little better is all i am looking for.
Unfortuately the GT3 ducts aren’t really any better than the turbo ones. You need to shell out for the GT2 ducts to have a noticeable improvement. Some argue there is still no benefit unless you also modify the fender liners, cut the dust shields, etc. more like the GT2. I did notice less mushy pedal on track though without the additional mods. Cool down lap and/or Post session cool down is still vital in any case.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:15 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
2. If you can lock up your tires, your larger rotors will not be an upgrade and add reciprocating and unsprung mass.
I'm not sure this is quite right. On the surface it makes sense, but I'd imagine that the surface area of the rotor has a benefit in terms of heat dissipation and reduction in brake fade.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:09 PM
9SIX4-C4
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
I'm not an expert, but I have driven my C4S on a track + quite a bit of street driving, and I never once thought the brakes were lacking in any capacity. I mean, they're specced for a car with 30% (100hp) more power, so they should be overkill for a C4S. I've also read every car magazine review for the C4S I've come across and I can't remember ever seeing anyone complain about braking. To each his own though - just wanted to post here so that down the road someone isn't saying "Literally everyone on the 996 forum is saying the C4S brakes are garbage and I should upgrade".

I will agree that a lot more pedal effort is needed in this car vs other's I've driven. I initially thought this was because the car is bigger and heavier - but I learned it has nothing to do with that. Its actually the amount the brakes are assisted by the booster. Porsche apparently assist less in order to give the driver more control and more feedback through the brake pedal (which I've come to appreciate). But, if you stomp on them, you stop fast.
great feedback! I assume that each car model can have different levels of "brake assist". It's great to know that the amount of brakes applied (pushing the brake pedal) is by design and not because there is something wrong with brakes.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:14 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You are just going to throw away money and not solve anything. I've had Brembo reps on the track in the passenger seat and they even asked me if I had aftermarket brakes. I've run the OE rotors/calipers/brake lines since day one. NEVER had an issue where the brakes were either too much or too little. The pad compound is going to give you much greater variability. I run normal Pagid street pads and the Pagid Race only pads on the track. Motul RBF 660 on the track/street. You shouldn't be boiling fluid at all.

As far as feel, that's a piston/master cylinder combo but again, you're going to throw money at it without even seeing any benefit. Unless you're storming up and down the autobahn, you'll never achieve temperatures that start to impact your braking. Brake fade is about cooling and pad compound.

Look at your tires (make and compound along with sizing) and tire pressures as that's going to give you different results and feel on the braking.

If you up the rotor size to 350, all you're doing is impacting the heat capacity of the rotor and maaaaaaaybe brake torque, not feel. Changing the caliper piston sizing will affect pedal feel but again, you're throwing good money away. Look somewhere else.

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
Not going to argue the point about larger rotors, thats a no win argument. There is nothing wrong with my O.E. Porsche pads (other than they are 75% worn). Also don't see the issue in using a higher boiling point fluid when i got it for less than the price of the ATE 200. My car has nothing wrong with it. I agree with everyone on this thread as well as dozens before about the brakes work exactly as Porsche designed them too. I'm just not happy with that. I don't see any reason why upgrading would be a bad thing. Do you??
Old 02-15-2019, 10:36 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoteen
You are just going to throw away money and not solve anything. I've had Brembo reps on the track in the passenger seat and they even asked me if I had aftermarket brakes. I've run the OE rotors/calipers/brake lines since day one. NEVER had an issue where the brakes were either too much or too little. The pad compound is going to give you much greater variability. I run normal Pagid street pads and the Pagid Race only pads on the track. Motul RBF 660 on the track/street. You shouldn't be boiling fluid at all.

As far as feel, that's a piston/master cylinder combo but again, you're going to throw money at it without even seeing any benefit. Unless you're storming up and down the autobahn, you'll never achieve temperatures that start to impact your braking. Brake fade is about cooling and pad compound.

Look at your tires (make and compound along with sizing) and tire pressures as that's going to give you different results and feel on the braking.

If you up the rotor size to 350, all you're doing is impacting the heat capacity of the rotor and maaaaaaaybe brake torque, not feel. Changing the caliper piston sizing will affect pedal feel but again, you're throwing good money away. Look somewhere else.
I had looked at pagid pads but wasnt sure what to pick. Any advice on which pad front and rear i should do for a car that will see 99% street driving?

Quick Reply: C4S brake upgrade