Sponsored by:

airbag fault has me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 05:22 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts
Default airbag fault has me stumped

I have a '99 C2 that had an issue with the door latch in the passenger side that required me to remove the inner door panel and airbag. I fixed the original issue but when I put the airbag back in I got an airbag fault light on the dash. I expected this because I know a code gets stored whenever an airbag is disconnected. No problem, I figure, I have a durametric enthusiast version to reset it. When I opened it up it gave me a code 30 ( passenger airbag side circuit). Here's where the problem begins. I cleared the code and it stays off for about 1 second, but immediately comes back on. I took everything apart to double check the connections, etc., everything looks ok, but the light stays on and I'm unable to clear it. It's making me crazy! Anyone else had this problem?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:41 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

to test the wiring to the airbag others have used a 2.8 ohm resistor as a airbag substitute
Old 02-14-2019, 08:40 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

First of all always disconnect the battery for at least 15 minutes before disconnecting any airbag. I know that that is moot at this point. Do you have the latest version of Durametric? 6.5.5.12
Uninstall any current version of Durametric and the USB drivers. Reboot. Go to the Durametric website and download the latest version and USB drivers. Install and run and see if you can clear the airbag light.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:15 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Glad I saw this, my Durametric is 6.5.5.9
Good luck finding a fix.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Problem solved!!
I did 3 things at the same time, not sure which one was the true solution.
1. Disconnected the battery, let it sit overnight. Don't really think this was part of the solution.
2. Went inside the door again, unplugged everything, including the large connector from the door hinge to the car, and reconnected.
3. Downloaded the Durametric software 6.5.5.12. I had 6.5.5.5. Thanks Joe for that suggestion.

Put everything back together, airbag light still on. Connected Durametric and cleared the code...Light went out and stayed out!
Went for a spirited 25 mile test drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway as a test run, all ok.
Unexpected benefit: I stopped for gas on the way back, and to my surprise the gas gauge registered completely full. Previously it never read more than 7/8 after a fill up. This may have been a result of leaving the battery disconnected overnight. No complaints!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:58 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Problem solved!!
I did 3 things at the same time, not sure which one was the true solution.
1. Disconnected the battery, let it sit overnight. Don't really think this was part of the solution.
2. Went inside the door again, unplugged everything, including the large connector from the door hinge to the car, and reconnected.
3. Downloaded the Durametric software 6.5.5.12. I had 6.5.5.5. Thanks Joe for that suggestion.

Put everything back together, airbag light still on. Connected Durametric and cleared the code...Light went out and stayed out!
Went for a spirited 25 mile test drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway as a test run, all ok.
Unexpected benefit: I stopped for gas on the way back, and to my surprise the gas gauge registered completely full. Previously it never read more than 7/8 after a fill up. This may have been a result of leaving the battery disconnected overnight. No complaints!
Great news! I was going to add that I've experienced this problem when I was fully with my seat controls. Unplugged the seat and turned the car on and gulp, got the airbag light. Fortunately, I have a scanner that would reset it. I really want to get one of those fancy Durametric systems. Seems like the way to go with these cars aside from the Porsche PIWIS tools - which probably cost more than our cars are worth.

Quick Reply: airbag fault has me stumped