996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coolant everywhere while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:33 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

don't have a dog in this fight but take the oil fill cap off and partially block the opening .What happened ?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
yeah, no it won't.

A minor vacuum leak doesn't cause cars to just shut off. It might run lumpy or even have a high idle (which would make sense given the unmetered air).
Take the cap off and report back. A cracked filler tube is not a minor leak.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I've run cars without the oil fill cap, idle gets rough as you'd expect, but it does not stall.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:11 PM
mechanicus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that i replaced that coupling for the coolant line from AOS, I Was driving it and a "purge" sound started. like pressure would build up and then the sound and then nothing. but it would be another second or two before it did it again. there's a sweet smell so coolant but no drops on the ground after sitting for a while. it took two gallons of coolant so far (though i didnt do the pressure refill just topped the container off. Two things come to mind: first being the fitting i installed (or another coolant line) isnt tight enough or the coolant system is purging the air trapped in the system. What are your thoughts?
Old 02-25-2019, 10:11 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicus
.......Today I let my car warm up to normal operating temperature and took it out for a fun drive......
You let the car idle long enough to get the car up to operating temp? That's never a good idea for any car, but especially for a car with the M96 engine!

Originally Posted by cds72911
And this ^ is why people don't like buying used cars worked on by do-it-yourselfers.
Originally Posted by Imo000
Only people that can't do the work themselves think this way.
I agree with CDS72911. I'm not sure what you mean. I've worked on all of my family's and my cars since I was 13. Most of the used cars I have bought who did repair jobs themselves often had some entertaining choices for replacement parts in an attempt to not pay the higher prices for the correct parts.

Quick Reply: Coolant everywhere while driving...