cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Old 02-11-2019, 03:36 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
It can be a bit confusing, I'll try to explain, NOTE : I may confuse you even worse !! lol

Dyno's actually measure torque (twisting force), horsepower is mathematically derived from torque. Torque, times engine speed, divided by 5,252 equals horsepower.
If you are wondering where the 5,252 comes from, it is just the number used in the equation for HP and Torque in ft/lbs, if calculating in Watts and Newton meters a different calculating number is used.

If you notice on all dyno graphs torque and horsepower cross at 5,252, this is not a coincidence, it is part of the equation.

Changing the flywheels weight does not change the torque or horsepower of the engine, it changes the "inertia" of the rotating mass which is not measured by a dyno. A heavy flywheel can store more energy (inertia) and feel like more torque, hence the better launch of a heavy flywheel (up to 60lbs) in a Drag Car, or the tire roasting of a heavy flywheel in a street car, but what you are feeling is "false torque", it is actually inertia, stored energy in the flywheel.
I had always thought there was a thin line between inertia and perceived torque.
I understand how the spinning mass works beneficially in a drag racing application.
But what about our 996 cars being tracked.
How does it relate to acceleration coming out of a corner?
Is there any relationship between the weight of a 996 and where in the power band (as measured on a dyno) we should be at (rpm) for exiting a corner?
I am not sure if you are familiar with WGI, but the toe of the boot, is the turn that comes to mind as needing all of what are 3.6L engines can muster up, it is an uphill 180 degree turn.
This is where Z06s rule, but then that is short lived as they can be caught in the next two corners.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Light flywheels make taking off from a stop more difficult than with a stock flywheel. You will notice this as soon as you install one and roll out of the garage. It is not a stop and go traffic friendly choice. The engine will rev up faster because the rotating mass is less but it also unbalances the rotating assembly. So pick what is important to you. Unlike my diet, I want my engines balanced.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:19 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

This is my kind of thread lol i love hearing everyone’s opinions non of it gives me any confidence in any of my choices and leaves me banging my head all over again lol

i guess ill (just being me) come back to just having fun with my car and learn as i go.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
I had always thought there was a thin line between inertia and perceived torque.
I understand how the spinning mass works beneficially in a drag racing application.
But what about our 996 cars being tracked.
How does it relate to acceleration coming out of a corner?
Is there any relationship between the weight of a 996 and where in the power band (as measured on a dyno) we should be at (rpm) for exiting a corner?
I am not sure if you are familiar with WGI, but the toe of the boot, is the turn that comes to mind as needing all of what are 3.6L engines can muster up, it is an uphill 180 degree turn.
This is where Z06s rule, but then that is short lived as they can be caught in the next two corners.
A lighter rotating mass will ALWAYS accelerate faster than a heavier one, given the same power/torque.

The only way a heavy rotating mass can be of advantage is when the stored energy (inertia) is released at a critical time (launch). A DMFW does help with drivability on take off on a street car, and smooths power pulses/vibration of the engine.

The peak torque is achieved on the 3.6 at 4,250 RPM, that is where you would get the most pull out of the corner. That said Porsche engines have a very flat torque curve to make coming out different corners at different RPM's better than an engine with a peaky torque curve that would coming out of say turn 2 great, but sucking at coming out of turn 5.

You can forget hanging with a Z06 after the turn and on the straight, they are a beast. With a weight of 3523 lbs and power/torque of 650/650 you have a weight to power/torque of 5.42/5.42..... On a 996.2 with a weight of 3000 lbs and power/torque of 320/273 you have a weight to power/torque of 9.25/10.9..The only advantage you have is the 500lb less weight you can handle better, go faster in the turns.

Some other power/weight ratio from cars of the era..
Model weight HP lbs/hp price
1999 Dodge Viper 3,380 450 7.51 $80,000
2001 Corvette Z06 3,115 385 8.09 $48,055
2000 Porsche Turbo 3,400 415 8.19 $118,000
2000 Ferrari 360 Modena 3,241 395 8.21 $179,000
1999 Porsche GT3 2,975 360 8.26 N/A
1995 Corvette ZR-1 3,535 405 8.73 $65,000
1999 Corvette C5 Coupe 3,250 345 9.42 $37,171
2000 Porsche Boxster S 2,855 250 11.4 $54,303
2000 Audi TT 2,655 225 11.8 $36,000
2000 BMW M Roadster 2,899 240 12.1 $43,743

Old 02-11-2019, 05:54 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
This is my kind of thread lol i love hearing everyone’s opinions non of it gives me any confidence in any of my choices and leaves me banging my head all over again lol

i guess ill (just being me) come back to just having fun with my car and learn as i go.
I can't agree more
I never know if I have more or less clarity
Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

It's been mentioned. I'll mention it again. The best money is spent on the nut behind the wheel.

Learn to drive. Then you can figure out where the next improvement should be made. Furthermore, you will know if you've actually taken a step in the right direction.

This is not to go against any of the suggestions regarding vehicle modifications. There are great - proven - lists of upgrades mentioned here. Balancing the money spent on upgrades to the car; should be matched with driver experience. Probably my only point in this thread....

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 02-11-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:48 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

If my explanation of mechanical air filtration was “off the rails,” I suppose you like dirt in your engine.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
It's been mentioned. I'll mention it again. The best money is spent on the nut behind the wheel.

Learn to drive. Then you can figure out where the next improvement should be made. Furthermore, you will know if you've actually taken a step in the right direction.

This is not to go against any of the suggestions regarding vehicle modifications. There are great - proven - lists of upgrades mentioned here. Balancing the money spent on upgrades to the car; should be matched with driver experience. Probably my only point in this thread....

Not debating what you said... don't rip me for saying this!!! Its just fun car talk guys Just a pet peeve of mine when people get bent over disagreeing BUT... BUT I have to say when I got my boxster about 5 years ago and asked these types of questions over in the that forum everyone said "get training" I had to face palm. Most car guys have been driving fun cars since they were allowed to like me.

I went to the track and drove with an instructor who "I have XXX hours of documented track time" and was going to show me how its done....

Never being "trained" I was the 2nd fastest lap around the track out of a group of about 15 people. It was in a Gallardo and not a Porsche but training doesn't make your car faster and if your lacking that much behind the wheel... get a car with a bigger air bag lol I know Scott isn't saying that and I'm sure having someone go over your Porsche with you to help you understand its capabilities will benefit you but it's not a magic shot of Steve McQueen coolness behind the wheel.

Just don't agree with that default line that so many say on the Porsche forums "get training"

My 2cents... worth Half

I'm the short, pale and pudgy guy in that photo

Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Cool. Now I know who's *** to kick when we meet at the track....
Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Not debating what you said... don't rip me for saying this!!! Its just fun car talk guys Just a pet peeve of mine when people get bent over disagreeing BUT... BUT I have to say when I got my boxster about 5 years ago and asked these types of questions over in the that forum everyone said "get training" I had to face palm. Most car guys have been driving fun cars since they were allowed to like me.

I went to the track and drove with an instructor who "I have XXX hours of documented track time" and was going to show me how its done....

Never being "trained" I was the 2nd fastest lap around the track out of a group of about 15 people. It was in a Gallardo and not a Porsche but training doesn't make your car faster and if your lacking that much behind the wheel... get a car with a bigger air bag lol I know Scott isn't saying that and I'm sure having someone go over your Porsche with you to help you understand its capabilities will benefit you but it's not a magic shot of Steve McQueen coolness behind the wheel.

Just don't agree with that default line that so many say on the Porsche forums "get training"

My 2cents... worth Half

I'm the short, pale and pudgy guy in that photo

This was autocross?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Cool. Now I know who's *** to kick when we meet at the track....
ROFL be gentle ... my mom told me I'm a gentle man lol

Originally Posted by Imo000
This was autocross?
now now.... don't make it out to be more than what I'm saying. I'm making the point that taking some lesson isn't going to make you and your car somehow magically faster. Weather its autocross, dragstrip or ripping it up on the street etc. Have some common sense, drive within your boundaries and know the limits of you car.

I live down the street from Lapeer drag way in Lapeer Michigan. When I'm there I can talk to guys who are making smoking times in the 1/4 .. one guy will say "I drop the hammer and let it rip till the end" another guy will say " I've matched up my cam, heads, stall and launch to a bla bla bla" and he to will equally kill it for a crazy fast time. complete opposite methods with awesome results.

my boxster had a 200hp... no class was going to make that car faster lol driving my car and learning the feels of it taught me how to drive it.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

You know what I like about that photo?

Everyone has a smile on their face. And that probably means they're having fun.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:57 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

I'm making the point that taking some lesson isn't going to make you and your car somehow magically faster.
same car, different driver, and they get your car to go faster? Not magic. It's called skill.

Nothing more frustrating than dealing with more powerful cars with poor drivers on a track or on twisty roads.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:08 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

An interesting blog about how to go faster - https://www.windingroad.com/articles...mprove-part-3/

Quick Reply: Let's talk maximizing performance