Sponsored by:

Let's talk maximizing performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:13 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by NickHolloman
You bastard! now I have to go home and refit the stock box! anybody wanna buy a k&N intake?
You couldn't give it away now!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:19 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
They always sell. People believe the advertising.... I must admit the ads are convincing. Mo powah !!!!!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Do you have enough money to buy another engine when this one pops? Do you know how to fix it?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:20 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Do you have enough money to buy another engine when this one pops? Do you know how to fix it?
Money isn't an issue

Convincing my wife of that? different story
Old 02-05-2019, 01:22 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Gonna have to delete this damn thread!

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS

They always sell. People believe the advertising.... I must admit the ads are convincing. Mo powah !!!!!
They got me for sure!

I actually originally did it for the sound but since deleting the mufflers I cant hear anything at WOT anyway
Old 02-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by NickHolloman
Gonna have to delete this damn thread!

They got me for sure!

I actually originally did it for the sound but since deleting the mufflers I cant hear anything at WOT anyway

I've installed muffler deletes on my 996 and the power drop was really noticeable as soon as I went for a drive. Modifying the OE mufflers with bypass pipes is a much better option as you are not leaving HP on the table for the sake of sound. Speaking of sound. the muffler bypass sounds like crap unless the engine is near redline. I'm putting my B&B mufflers back on when I finally put the engine back together.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you run the numbers - the most impactful thing you can do is weight loss. There's a ton of it in these cars to be had. The theoretical power to weight is about 10hp for every 100lbs. Things like the carpet that covers the rear shock mounts weigh 7#.... finding the first couple hundred aint that hard to do.

The muffler bypass pipes saved weight - but the power loss was too much in the low and mid range. I eventually went to cat bypass X-pipe, headers, and better mufflers by Fabspeed.

The most impactful performance difference on track has been the LSD... it changed the car (on track). Not sure how much use it would have on a public road - but I don't like to throw the car around on public roads anyway.

I had the EVOMS intake - I liked the noise but never noticed anything different. I went back to stock based on dyno results from Flat6. They have been huge proponents of the IDP plenum (and larger throttle body). Those really seem to be the only bolt on mods that they tend to like.

Lots of room for upgrade on the suspension... it just depends on what you want. Ohlins have been a great add for me... all of the other stuff is mainly for additional adjustment and to remove any rubber bushing items. A car that's all solid end suspension parts now is kind of harsh.

Also - if you don't have them - RSS or Wevo semi solid motor mounts are a HUGE improvement. Transforms the feel of the car. Same with a trans bushing (solid) but be aware of the NVH that WILL come along with it.

Get good tires and find a happy medium on brakes... the stock system is great with the right pads.

I've been through most all of the mods possible (I think) so let me know if you have specific questions. If I didn't do something - it was probably for a reason.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:48 PM
bull3t
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've installed muffler deletes on my 996 and the power drop was really noticeable as soon as I went for a drive. Modifying the OE mufflers with bypass pipes is a much better option as you are not leaving HP on the table for the sake of sound. Speaking of sound. the muffler bypass sounds like crap unless the engine is near redline. I'm putting my B&B mufflers back on when I finally put the engine back together.
I've gone back to my stock mufflers after the new CA exhaust law went into effect. You really notice the weight of the mufflers when they're back on. And the sound of the bypass is glorious, especially in a tunnel, it will be missed.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:55 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
When you run the numbers - the most impactful thing you can do is weight loss. There's a ton of it in these cars to be had. The theoretical power to weight is about 10hp for every 100lbs. Things like the carpet that covers the rear shock mounts weigh 7#.... finding the first couple hundred aint that hard to do.

The muffler bypass pipes saved weight - but the power loss was too much in the low and mid range. I eventually went to cat bypass X-pipe, headers, and better mufflers by Fabspeed.

The most impactful performance difference on track has been the LSD... it changed the car (on track). Not sure how much use it would have on a public road - but I don't like to throw the car around on public roads anyway.

I had the EVOMS intake - I liked the noise but never noticed anything different. I went back to stock based on dyno results from Flat6. They have been huge proponents of the IDP plenum (and larger throttle body). Those really seem to be the only bolt on mods that they tend to like.

Lots of room for upgrade on the suspension... it just depends on what you want. Ohlins have been a great add for me... all of the other stuff is mainly for additional adjustment and to remove any rubber bushing items. A car that's all solid end suspension parts now is kind of harsh.

Also - if you don't have them - RSS or Wevo semi solid motor mounts are a HUGE improvement. Transforms the feel of the car. Same with a trans bushing (solid) but be aware of the NVH that WILL come along with it.

Get good tires and find a happy medium on brakes... the stock system is great with the right pads.

I've been through most all of the mods possible (I think) so let me know if you have specific questions. If I didn't do something - it was probably for a reason.
Yeah I've been thinking a lot about more exhaust work. I honestly didn't notice any difference in power when I went to bypasses, but I'd love to have a more proper setup

Love your car by the way, I was checking it out a couple days ago.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:56 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

I've been thinking about gundo-ing mine and throwing them back on
Old 02-05-2019, 02:03 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

Are there ways to maximize the efficiency of the stock box?
Old 02-05-2019, 02:29 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

3.8 997 airbox would be next best thing
Old 02-05-2019, 02:33 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Its an addiction and a lot of folks don't feel comfortable with money in their pocket. That is the power of the Placebo effect.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:53 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

for me... I did headers, x-pipe, fab speed intake, all new coil over suspension, elephant racing control arm bushings along with poly sway bar bushing (frt & rr) and eps front and rear trailing arms. those were the first year I had it... felt quite nice when I put it back on the road. handling was unbelievable and the exhaust FELT like it gave it a little more umph .

currently installing ipd plenum, light weight crank pulley, light weight fly wheel and clutch kit. We shall see

Thiers a few other mods but I cant remember at the moment.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123

Thiers a few other mods but I cant remember at the moment.
That's kind of where I am... I just don't remember. I know that there's a bunch of mods - including a big motor - so it all just kind of blends together... lol

Quick Reply: Let's talk maximizing performance