996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Let's talk maximizing performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 03:02 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"now now.... don't make it out to be more than what I'm saying. I'm making the point that taking some lesson isn't going to make you and your car somehow magically faster. Weather its autocross, dragstrip or ripping it up on the street etc. Have some common sense, drive within your boundaries and know the limits of you car."

Different types of racing all carry different skill sets, and they don't necessarily translate from one type of track or car to another. This doesn't mean that a great driver on one CAN'T do well on another - but it's certainly not automatic. The only things that translate directly are the physical and mental abilities of the driver - everything else is LEARNED. The best way to learn anything is through repetition. If you can get this repetition with guidance from a professional driver/instructor you will undoubtedly progress faster than you would without said guidance/instruction.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:36 PM
CLR
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Take a look at:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...clr-intro.html

He has his car down to 1086kg or 2395 lbs, probably for cheaper than you could really add 50 HP to these cars.
If you follow the great wise words of Colin Chapman you can't go too wrong:

"Simplify then add lightness" or "adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere".

I pretty much stuck to this philosophy; not so much to gain any advantage on a track but in order in improve the driving experience: control weights, connection, tactility, sound, weight transfer during cornering, braking characteristics and so on... I took a total of 559 lbs out of my car with the aim of retaining almost all of the design functionality such as 4 seat layout, NVH levels, carpets, trim...
Adding power would never meet the objectives I set out to achieve: which in simple terms was to produce the best 'drivers' 996 possible. Now the project is pretty much complete I guess I'll have to go out and drive the thing to see if I got anywhere close
Old 02-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Greg Holmberg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, if I was taking a 996 to the track, my priorities would be:
  1. Safety equipment
  2. Engine reliability: IMS, RMS, deep sump, engine oil cooling, power steering cooling, gearbox oil cooling.
  3. Braking: better rotors, pads, SS lines, fluid, cooling.
  4. Handling: weight, tires, suspension, set up.
  5. Power
As for specifics, I would select from the items listed in the Spec 996 rules.

http://pcaclubracing.org/wp-content/...cing-Rules.pdf

SP996 rules start on page 26.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:20 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by CLR
If you follow the great wise words of Colin Chapman you can't go too wrong:

"Simplify then add lightness" or "adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere".

I pretty much stuck to this philosophy; not so much to gain any advantage on a track but in order in improve the driving experience: control weights, connection, tactility, sound, weight transfer during cornering, braking characteristics and so on... I took a total of 559 lbs out of my car with the aim of retaining almost all of the design functionality such as 4 seat layout, NVH levels, carpets, trim...
Adding power would never meet the objectives I set out to achieve: which in simple terms was to produce the best 'drivers' 996 possible. Now the project is pretty much complete I guess I'll have to go out and drive the thing to see if I got anywhere close
Cool build, who makes the wheels and what do they weigh?

Last edited by 808Bill; 02-27-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:08 AM
CLR
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Cool build, who makes the wheels and what do they weigh?
Hi Bill, the wheels are genuine Fuchs RSR wheels. They are a very light forged design. I went for these not only for weight and strength reasons but also to maintain the heritage/historical ties of Porsche. They weigh 7.5kg front and 7.7kg rear. Prior to these I did have a one-off set made in a custom off-set but they are no longer fitted to the car:

Old 02-28-2019, 07:47 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

CLR, good to see you back. Any updates on that amazing car of yours?
Old 02-28-2019, 01:27 PM
40jarhe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 996 Street AutoX and/or track

Originally Posted by NickHolloman
Let's start with the car as it sits. a 2001 Carrera with H&R sport springs, K&N intake and Muffler bypasses made by beluga racing (The say racing so they have to be good right!?) The car has had IMS/RMS done along with Clutch, coils/plugs, AOS, etc. The basic safety maintenance stuff.

I'd like to slowly start making the car into a track car that I can go out and enjoy on a lot of these Alabama back roads. Ride quality around town and noise are not concerns. I will probably gut most of the interior and I've got a plan for the suspension but looking for sort of a "road map" to getting the most out of the 3.4. I'm not looking to make huge HP gains or anything like that, just maximize the power available and get it to the ground.

what are some of the standard upgrades for theses engines? I see a lot of talk about plenums and pulleys, etc. Without getting into internals what is sort of the ideal setup to maximize the engines potential? Not looking for "search function" replies, looking to start a conversation. Thanks fellas
These three things will not just save you money, but help you spend the money (you will spend money and it will be more than you think) smartly:
  1. Knowing what you want (see the caption) Street, AuotX or Track Day - and (big and) you must realize that the more devoted the car becomes to one of those the less adequate it becomes at the others! The factory built it for the street, everything you do will make it less a street car.
  2. Asking for advice - you're here (rennlist) now and that's very smart! Learn from our mistakes and save yourself a ton of money.
  3. Know this for a fact - if you are not already a successful professional road racer - you most likely cannot drive the car you have to it's full potential - get lessons and get seat time.
So, it's that simple. I rebuilt the engine in my car not for more power, but because there were traces of plastic and metal in the oil filter...ugh! And, so we tore it down. Scored cylinders, worn through cam chain shoes and an about to fail IMS bearing. Okay, so once you've paid for the labor of a teardown - you might as well put it back together with the best available stuff - we went LN 4.0 and all the goodies mentioned in this discussion from IPD, etc etc down to the ARP bolts n studs. We're getting 350WHP and 340 WHT on the dyno - the extra torque makes it easier to drive than it was stock and the extra HP makes it more fun when you put your foot in it. New upgraded clutch because the engine is already out. Now, that's a big financial investment and you need to protect it! If you build the suspension and put big track tyres on it - you are going to toast that investment due to oil starvation in corners. So, do the insurance thing: deep sump system.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:15 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Holmberg
Personally, if I was taking a 996 to the track, my priorities would be:
  1. Safety equipment
  2. Engine reliability: IMS, RMS, deep sump, engine oil cooling, power steering cooling, gearbox oil cooling.
  3. Braking: better rotors, pads, SS lines, fluid, cooling.
  4. Handling: weight, tires, suspension, set up.
  5. Power
As for specifics, I would select from the items listed in the Spec 996 rules.

http://pcaclubracing.org/wp-content/...cing-Rules.pdf

SP996 rules start on page 26.
^This^
Old 03-01-2019, 04:10 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

+ 1 on the LSD, you'll gain a ton of time with that and you'll have a way bigger smile on your face. I wish I had one at every single autox and track day Ive done in this car. Someone mentioned engine mounts and transmission mounts and I think this can be a huge improvement from a pure enjoyment standpoint. These rubber mounts flex a lot, especially when old or hot, and sometimes it can be hard to find a gear when accelerating hard with any lateral load on the drivetrain. Stiff mounts suck on the road, but they make the car feel so much more precise on track in a number of ways.

Tires and brakes cant be underestimated, so much time to be gained in those two places alone.

I have a LWFW and don't think it adds much other than snappy down shifts and a lot of noise at idle.

I run the M&M catless x-pipe (bought from FVD) and it's great for track use. Loses some power between 3-4k on my 3.6, but it really feels strong all the way to 7k now. Changed the character of the power delivery entirely IMHO. Plus it sounds brilliant. Sounds faster = faster right? lol
Old 03-03-2019, 11:45 PM
40jarhe
AutoX

Guard Transmission - GT for short...always a big advertisement in Panorama.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:25 AM
40jarhe
AutoX

Wink Nothing more

Originally Posted by 85eurocarrera
same car, different driver, and they get your car to go faster? Not magic. It's called skill.

Nothing more frustrating than dealing with more powerful cars with poor drivers on a track or on twisty roads.
Oh my goodness, well said...
Old 03-04-2019, 12:33 AM
40jarhe
AutoX

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
I think Porsche has already given us 90% of the performance in stock form. Additional mods get exponentially expensive on very small performance increase. First and foremost are the brake mods. For regular street driving the stock pads are great because when you need it, you get the initial bite right away even when it is cold and wet. On the track, after repeated heating, the pads will overheat, not fluid boiling which is a different cause, and the pads become ineffective.
I might get flamed by this suggestion. Spending on driver education to me is the most effective investment. Secondly is track time. Nothing reward you more than getting your butt meter calibrated to know exactly where the limit is. You will be surprised how capable the car is after getting to know how it drives and behaves.
Words of wisdom!
Old 03-04-2019, 12:46 AM
40jarhe
AutoX

IMHO any ECU tune done without benefit of a dyno and 5 gas analyzer is a shot in the dark.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:49 AM
40jarhe
AutoX

Learn to drive. Then you can figure out where the next improvement should be made. Furthermore, you will know if you've actually taken a step in the right direction.

Said another way.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:47 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
I have a LWFW, I purchased a balanced set from Patrick Motorsports, one of the only places I had found that offered a lightweight flywheel that had a pressure plate centifically balanced to flywheel.
I know this does not mean the same as a crankshaft balancing procedure that would include all rotating parts that are attached directly or indirectly to crank.
But it does aid in reducing the unbalanced spinning mass.

I know from the "old days" in drag racing, the heavy steel flywheels would increase measured "dyno" and actual torque, leaving the line at high rpms in a heavy car required the heavy fly wheel.
Direct contrast to LWFW that speed up revs, drastically, but the loss of applied torque would be very obvious.

Are there any engineers or engine builders here that know what the torque loss is when a LWFW is utilized in a build?
I can say from my experience , my rear tires are 12.5" of tread contact each.
Before LWFW, when the 5000 RPM launch control was installed via Evoms Stage VI tune, the car would ignite the rear tires. After the LWFW, the engine bogs and drops from 5000 rpm to less than 2500 rpm.

But......, the acceleration coming out of a turn, hitting the apex at the bottom of power band, the LWFW is awesome. It is a huge advantage in autocross.

This contradictory comments on applied torque to the rear wheels has confused me since I installed it.

Any thoughts?

-David
torque is the same. your heavier flywheel is storing more energy when you have it revved to 5k and drop the clutch....apparently enough such that you don't bog. For rolling acceleration light is better

Quick Reply: Let's talk maximizing performance