Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Opinions on tire wear please.... (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1126272-opinions-on-tire-wear-please.html)

JTT 01-27-2019 01:47 PM

Opinions on tire wear please....

Please provide opinions on this tire wear. Michelin Pilot Super Sports, 11,000 kms (6800 miles). Inside edge is to the left.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ebde46a0a4.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c036de61b4.jpg

Byprodriver 01-27-2019 02:03 PM

You need a 4-wheel alignment

JTT 01-27-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Byprodriver (Post 15596295)
You need a 4-wheel alignment

Need new tires too :p. Seriously though, it was aligned actually twice during this period. All within spec except a a tiny bit of excessive negative camber

Scott at Team Harco 01-27-2019 02:27 PM

You either need to corner harder, or reduce the negative camber. :cheers:

Porschetech3 01-27-2019 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco (Post 15596350)

+1

Horsepwr 01-27-2019 05:38 PM

Time for new sneakers and alignment. If it was aligned 2 times during those 6800 miles you have some worn out suspension parts.

JTT 01-27-2019 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco (Post 15596350)

:roflmao: No doubt, a little of both. Does this look like a camber issue or toe issue? The extreme edge wear makes me wonder if it might be toe related, but I'm looking for expert opinion.

Scott at Team Harco 01-27-2019 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by JTT (Post 15596785)
:roflmao: No doubt, a little of both. Does this look like a camber issue or toe issue? The extreme edge wear makes me wonder if it might be toe related, but I'm looking for expert opinion.

It's almost impossible to tell without having it checked. Too much toe out will wear the inside of the tire as well.

golfnutintib 01-27-2019 06:38 PM

+1 on all input given so far...

what about the other front tire?

JTT 01-27-2019 06:49 PM

Thanks Scott, and others. I appreciate the input from those with experience with tire wear and alignment.

I wish I had kept the alignment printout to compare specs. I lowered the car, approx 30mm last winter before putting on these tires and realigning. I had asked for to be at the mildest end of the spec spectrum. With the lowering, negative camber could not quite be brought into spec, but was close to higher negative camber end of the spectrum. Toe was set to as close to zero end of spectrum as they could get (very mildly toed in), and well within spec. Since I have been trying to learn a little about alignment specs and 996 suspension to try to understand how it all works.

From what I've read, it would appear that 996 multilink rear suspension tends to toe out on compression, which seems to make sense looking at the arc of the links with the wheels off. This got me wondering if having almost zero toe in at static, might actually be creating a situation of excessive toe out under load, or accelerating? There is a very good chance I'm way off on this, but I throw myself to the collective of much smarter people than me here at Rennlist. Previous to lowering, tires also seemed to wear most heavily on inside edges, although not quite as bad.

JTT 01-27-2019 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by golfnutintib (Post 15596835)
+1 on all input given so far...

what about the other front tire?

Sorry, missed you comment while I was replying to others....first this is the rear not front. Fronts are wearing evenly. The other rear tire looks virtually identical.

Scott at Team Harco 01-27-2019 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by JTT (Post 15596861)
Thanks Scott, and others. I appreciate the input from those with experience with tire wear and alignment.

I wish I had kept the alignment printout to compare specs. I lowered the car, approx 30mm last winter before putting on these tires and realigning. I had asked for to be at the mildest end of the spec spectrum. With the lowering, negative camber could not quite be brought into spec, but was close to higher negative camber end of the spectrum. Toe was set to as close to zero end of spectrum as they could get (very mildly toed in), and well within spec. Since I have been trying to learn a little about alignment specs and 996 suspension to try to understand how it all works.

From what I've read, it would appear that 996 multilink rear suspension tends to toe out on compression, which seems to make sense looking at the arc of the links with the wheels off. This got me wondering if having almost zero toe in at static, might actually be creating a situation of excessive toe out under load, or accelerating? There is a very good chance I'm way off on this, but I throw myself to the collective of much smarter people than me here at Rennlist. Previous to lowering, tires also seemed to wear most heavily on inside edges, although not quite as bad.

Toe will remain consistent regardless of accel or decel (unless there is slop in the bushings/ ball joints).
Toe-out in compression, in the rear, usually induces oversteer. I doubt that is the way the suspension is designed.

You would do well to have it aligned to spec and have them take a little off the negative camber spec (go more vertical).

Scott at Team Harco 01-27-2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by JTT (Post 15596865)
Sorry, missed you comment while I was replying to others....first this is the rear not front. Fronts are wearing evenly. The other rear tire looks virtually identical.

Oh - that's a whole different story. I thought this was the front.

It's actually so much different that the same things apply. Slightly more wear on the inboard side of the tire is much more common, and less of an issue, at the rear. Dialing out a slight amount of negative camber will help. Much less change than if this were at the front.

Paul Waterloo 01-27-2019 07:11 PM

my tire wear isbasically identical to yours, and I got twenty thousand miles out of my Continental all season tires and I just replace them with some Michelin a few weeks ago. I would not be concerned

golfnutintib 01-27-2019 07:23 PM

glad i asked

i agree w scott above - this is kinda normal

if u want less inside edge wear just dial out some rear neg camber, otherwise leave it if the car feels good to you on the move