Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

125,000 mile "tune up"

Old 06-14-2019, 03:06 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Nothing major to report on. Speedy has been driven daily since Walter was killed. Rolled over 126,600 this morning.

Did get something to fix a minor issue. In exchange for three used coils, Bruce sent me two new trim caps. Fair trade...

Speedy does need a good bath. We seem to be in the monsoon season. Poor thing just keeps getting dirtier and dirtier. Maybe a few laps of the RallyCross course would knock some of the dirt off...
Old 06-15-2019, 09:25 AM
808Bill
Super User

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Try some of the Back to Black plastic product...or, leave it.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill View Post
Try some of the Back to Black plastic product...or, leave it.
Treat or don't treat. Those are the two primary options.

Should hit 127,000 on the way home today. Lots of smiles per mile...
Old 06-20-2019, 10:18 AM
sasilverbullet
User

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco View Post
Treat or don't treat. Those are the two primary options.

Should hit 127,000 on the way home today. Lots of smiles per mile...
I've tried about every product out there and my favorite is Lexol Vinylex. It removes the old Vinlyex when you renew it, doesn't yellow, and actually blocks UV rays! I also use this on my tires...
Old 06-20-2019, 07:19 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet View Post
I've tried about every product out there and my favorite is Lexol Vinylex. It removes the old Vinlyex when you renew it, doesn't yellow, and actually blocks UV rays! I also use this on my tires...
Found that product at a very fair price online from Sprawlmart. Need to add enough other stuff to get free shipping and therefore avoid any interaction with the people of Walmart.

Get to order at least one tire now. Found a flat after sitting here so pleasantly chatting on Rennlist.

By the way. Speedy was actually somewhat clean for about a day and a half. It has been raining all day. And, on my way home, I now recall hitting a very large pothole less than a mile from home (opposing traffic on our unpaved road). Most people would correctly identify it as a small pond. The damage is a tear in the sidewall from the rim impact.

For all you haters, racists and kunts - Black Wheels Matter.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:09 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

New tire arrived yesterday. Will drop things off at a tire shop that can do 35 series tires; hopefully tomorrow. My tire machine limitations seem to be around 45 series and nothing larger than 17". Two strikes - when it only takes one...

Had to get creative with packaging.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 07-11-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:32 PM
YYCporsche
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc View Post

...and DT40 engine oil.
Agreed! ( No mention from the OP of what type of Liqui Moly 5w40 was purchased for this maintenance)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:10 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YYCporsche View Post
Agreed! ( No mention from the OP of what type of Liqui Moly 5w40 was purchased for this maintenance)
See post #63. Do you have data that would indicate this was a bad choice?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:39 AM
YYCporsche
User

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco View Post
See post #63. Do you have data that would indicate this was a bad choice?
Thanks for pointing that out. Synthoil appears to be a good oil.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:19 PM
sweet victory
User

Just read from start to finish. Great thread! Were you able to find the source of your leak?
Old 07-11-2019, 02:12 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweet victory View Post
Just read from start to finish. Great thread! Were you able to find the source of your leak?
Thank you. I'm just enjoying the car, everyday.

Assuming you mean the oil leak(s). If so. I'll try to recap. After the AOS failed I messed with a few iterations to vent to a catch can; then ultimately to the air-box snorkel. One iteration involved a restrictive set of fittings and hose. This resulted in (in theory) excessive pressure in the crankcase. This led to oil being let out in the area of the AOS and the RMS. Then I discovered a fair amount of oil at the rear of bank #2. The actual source of this has not been determined.

I can say, that oil spots on the garage floor have not been a problem since I went to my "final" venting configuration (nothing noted as fresh drops). I just added a little oil to the engine this morning to raise the electronic level indicator up one bar from one above the low level (which means it's two bars from the low level, now). This brings a total of less than one liter added since the oil change at 124,980. Current mileage is 127,820. At this rate, I figure I am using a little more than a liter per 5000 miles. So any leak is not significant and no obvious telltale drops on the floor.

Unfortunately, I have been very busy messing with other cars and have not put Speedy back on the lift since the oil change. My hope is that my observations have been diligent enough that there are no serious issues yet undiscovered. Will perform another oil change by the end of the month, or at 130,000 (should that come up first). Will send a sample for analysis. I'm a little torn by the fact that I am using a different oil from what was originally in the car when I bought it. I have been thinking of using Mobil 1 0W-40 (what was in the car) strictly for the winter months and then stay with Liqui Moly 5W-40 the rest of the year. Maybe the next UOA, or two, will offer clues as to the direction to go in.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 07-11-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:33 PM
808Bill
Super User

Scott, here's a quote from JR on the subject...
People who are constantly changing oils, labs, and etc will never learn anything from UOA, other than how to worry themselves to death, by inconsistencies that their “research” and “desire to learn”.

For UOA to be beneficial, use the same engine, the same oil, the same lab, the same service intervals (until oxidation values prove you can alter them) and be consistent with everything that is done. These things create baseline trend data, then when a change is noted, you can truly trust that a real mechanical change has existed. Remember a UOA that suddenly shows BETTER wear metals, while showing a loss of viscosity, or a loss of the anti- wear package simultaneously may mean that the engine is failing. Those wear metals are NOT better, you just have wear that is now generating debris too large to be detected.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:27 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Bill - I read that earlier today. That is part of the reason I am torn between my idea and the recommendation of the expert. Clearly the engine is the same, as will be the lab. I'd like to use the same oil year round, if I had confidence in the right stuff. Personally, I am not sold on DT40. I know that is what the expert recommends. My plan is to follow proper warm-up procedure and change intervals (per the expert) while using more readily available oil. If I get a less than stellar report on my next analysis, I will do a short-change on the oil and either go back to M1 or convert at the alter of Driven. Still not even sure if that next fill will be with LM, but that is my current plan.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 07-11-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:28 PM
808Bill
Super User

M1 every six months is what I'm using for the time being. Once I get a few samples and establish a baseline, then I will make a decision as to change or not.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:10 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

It's good to have a plan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: