996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

125,000 mile "tune up"

Old 03-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Didn't do much today. Cleaned the windshield and the door glass. The hardtop should be next. I'll probably mess with the convertible top a bit, before putting the hardtop back on.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:49 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Is that gap in the cluster pad normal? Never noticed on mine, think I'll have a look.

Yup, mine's the same.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:59 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Got the latest shipment of parts yesterday. Covers just about everything that I need (that I know of).

Parking lights work.

Luggage compartment light and trim plugs installed. Will wait to install the big plug for the firewall. Don't see a good reason to tear into that just now...

Old 03-13-2019, 10:09 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Put the hardtop on. Never messed with the convertible top. Would do that with the engine running. Can't open the side doors yet. It's supposed to hit 60F on Thursday.
Hope it will melt enough of the snow and ice so I can get at least one of the sliders open. Should have cleaned the inside of the rear window before installing the top. It's going to be a real pain now...

Haven't built a carrier for the hardtop yet. Had it placed on a blanket on the hood of Nico (944). Had plans of driving Nico to work today. Found the reservoir was low on fluid for brakes and clutch. Need a master cylinder. It never ends...
Looks like Speedy will be on the road sooner than Nico.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:14 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking good!!! Dont think for a second that your last parts shipment will cover all the loose ends... ask me how I know
Old 03-13-2019, 10:51 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DGI
Looking good!!! Dont think for a second that your last parts shipment will cover all the loose ends... ask me how I know
Oh, I know. There will continue to be new discoveries. From all my poking and prodding, I think suspension, brakes and steering should all be good for a while. Time will tell what I don't know about yet.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:13 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Had a mini-Christmas yesterday. Got a toy car, electrical connectors and terminal lugs. Finished wiring up the battery maintainer. Used a lug bolted to the battery tray to complete the circuit. Installed the firewall plug while the battery was out. Also discovered a missing bolt from the frunk striker. Found a very special M6 bolt from my collection that might stand-in as a replacement. Messed with the bump rubbers so the boot-lid won't rattle. Seems the misaligned striker helped keep things tighter.

Toy car will need a paint job.

Terminal lug mounted to battery tray. Completes the positive circuit for the battery maintainer.

The big present was a set of exhaust tips from Secret Santa (some know him as Ratchet1025, here). Pics to follow.

Oh - took care of transferring the title and getting a plate. Speedy is legal for use! It's raining, and has been raining (if not storming) for the last two days. Looking at next week for some actual driving. We live on a dirt road and our driveway is also unpaved, and very swampy. Hope things dry out soon.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 03-17-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:00 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Nice exhaust tips. Will install when I get the replacement clamps from Auto Atlanta.

Started hacking the old clamps out with a sawz-all. Naturally the nuts were not going to come off. Will wait to complete the cuts when the new parts arrive.

So while the car was on the lift, I installed the two undertray panels. Used the new clips for the front section.

Will maneuver cars around in the garage today. Speedy will move up to spot #1. Walter goes to #2 and Nico goes to the lift.
Figure to start driving Speedy on Tuesday. We've finally turned the corner on the weather....
Old 03-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Started hacking the old clamps out with a sawz-all. Naturally the nuts were not going to come off. Will wait to complete the cuts when the new parts arrive.

Reminds me of how much I don’t miss the Michigan winters.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Reminds me of how much I don’t miss the Michigan winters.
Yeah - the salt is the worst part. I am starting to enjoy winters less and less, of late. I really love driving in winter conditions. It's even rewarding when not in competition. The last few snow storms we've had - I had the left lane all to myself most of the way to work. You never know what the other idiot is going to do. But this idiot is prepared for winter driving.

Current winter ride is shown here in spot #2. Speedy has been allowed to occupy spot #1. Still planning on Tuesday for the maiden voyage.

Found a 944 jack and jack handle. Odd, it's as if Porsche has decided all jacks and jack points should match. Trimmed some Kaizen foam to fit inside the spare wheel to fit the tool kit and compressor. Jammed the rest of the junk in around the tire.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 03-17-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:46 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Drove Speedy to work today. Heard the "singing" IMS again. Will need to drop the sump plate soon and have a look around. No matter what it is, it can't be good.

Some other minor things observed:
a) left turn signal doesn't work. Indicator in the gauge is dimly lit at all times. I'm fairly certain all of the bulbs are good.
b) the air bag warning light is on.
c) a warning light came on for an instant a couple of times when coming off throttle and stopping. Might be the oil light.
d) the stereo also did an instantaneous drop that seemed to coincide with the above (c).
e) passenger side window will drop and rise incrementally when I mess with the driver's seat fore/aft switch.
f) noticed the engine felt a little "lumpy" while stopped and idling at a light.

The IMS noise is a big concern. I'm worried the bearing or the chains/ guides are worn. Any thoughts/ insight from the enlightened, here? Any possible connection between the IMS noise and c, d and f?

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 03-19-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Beg, borrow, or steal a durametric. Ok, maybe don’t steal one, buy it instead as a last resort. It will let you look at cam deviations, any pending codes and allow you to reset the airbag light. Once the airbag light illuminates it stays on even if the fault is fixed, it must be reset with the durametric or PIWIS.
At 125k all tensioner pads are likely worn out, could result in the cam deviations. Mine were severely pitted and grooved after only 60k.
Not sure what a singing IMS sounds like, maybe “Deutschland Uber Alles”??
Old 03-19-2019, 11:26 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Beg, borrow, or steal a durametric. Ok, maybe don’t steal one, buy it instead as a last resort. It will let you look at cam deviations, any pending codes and allow you to reset the airbag light. Once the airbag light illuminates it stays on even if the fault is fixed, it must be reset with the durametric or PIWIS.
At 125k all tensioner pads are likely worn out, could result in the cam deviations. Mine were severely pitted and grooved after only 60k.
Not sure what a singing IMS sounds like, maybe “Deutschland Uber Alles”??
It gets worse. A co-worker mentioned he was behind a blue Porsche on the way in today. It left a big cloud of smoke! I told him, that was me.

Just got back from starting the car. It is smoking badly. Maybe it's 'just' the AOS. Doubt that would account for the sound though. Coolant level is also a little below the min mark. Might be due to an air pocket, or it might be something worse. Can't say anything about the chain tensioners other than, supposedly from 2001 onward, they were redesigned.

Need to get the car home and start digging deeper. The Durametric may not be the highest priority right now.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 03-19-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Sorry to hear this and I hope it's not serious.
I wouldn't start it again until you rule some issues out first.
When you say singing, what does that sound like?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Sorry to hear this and I hope it's not serious.
I wouldn't start it again until you rule some issues out first.
When you say singing, what does that sound like?
I'll drive it on the trailer and take it home. The best way to describe it would be like a bearing that is not getting lubricated. Sump cover will be removed right after getting it back on the lift.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 125,000 mile "tune up"