996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

125,000 mile "tune up"

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 01:38 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Yes, I took a transfer to Asheville, a calculated pre-retirement move, paid for by the company.
Now: job...I don’t need no stinkin’ Job!
Retired 13 months ago.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Yes, I took a transfer to Asheville, a calculated pre-retirement move, paid for by the company.
Now: job...I don’t need no stinkin’ Job!
Retired 13 months ago.

Nice. I'm about 17 months away from it myself. Almost to the day. You probably can't tell I'm keeping track...
Old 02-26-2019, 08:35 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

OK - enough of the re-acquaintance sideshow. Actually quite cool on its own.

I don't think I did much yesterday. Did order a magnetic drain plug. Want to have that available when I do drain the oil.
Today I set out to work my way toward removing the front bumper cover. Want to clean out all the leaves and debris around the radiators. Also want to test the right side fan. I know the driver's side works. Figured I'd start removing everything I can from the cowl and boot area. The more I see of this car, the dirtier it looks. The area under the taillights were a prime example. Let's not get started on the engine. I sure hope it's clean on the inside.

Removed the panels near the cowl. One of the M5? nuts (r/s) may need to be replaced or, at the very least, re-tapped. The battery tray is a mess. It needs a good cleaning and a coat of paint. The threads for the clamp (missing) bolt holes should get chased. I'll need a clamp, the battery was just placed on the tray and wasn't even captured by the beads. Not a big deal - but I want the battery properly mounted. Noticed a couple of open connectors up closer to the base of the windshield. Then I uncovered their mates (left side hanging on battery tray). Figure they must be the headlight washers. Also found an unplugged hole in the firewall (top, just right of center). Haven't located a part in my diagrams yet. Should be able to come up with a generic plug. I did find a plug that I can't place. It's also on the battery tray in this photo, but was found between the battery and the firewall.

Here's a view of the mystery plug and its part number.

After removing the battery tray, I set out after the drains. I've seen where these are known to clog and promote swamp conditions. Mine were well on their way. I vacuumed in the cowl area and then pulled two out without working too hard with the vacuum. Bet you can't tell which ones.

Need to get in with hot water and wet rags. Need to go through this entire car to clean and check just about everything. Needs a cabin filter. Not as bad as some I have seen here. Finding a lot of little covers and plugs missing. Will have to judge their true value.

I'm seeing a lot of red under the blue. I assume this is a primer coat. Blue seems to be the original color. Might have been partially, or fully resprayed, but not over a red car. Haven't found the tags for paint and options yet. Might want to investigate that, at some point.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:45 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

The plug on the battery tray is supposed to be behind the side carpets covering the hole for the headlight removal tool to be inserted.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
The plug on the battery tray is supposed to be on the side carpet covering the hole for the headlight removal tool to be inserted.
I'll have to check that. I figure the headlights need to come out anyway. Maybe I'll find the hole for the plug. Don't recall seeing an opening that would match it, in that carpeting. It's going to come out too. Thanks for the lead.

Ah - the photo helps. I haven't pulled that carpeting out yet.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 02-26-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:53 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
I'll have to check that. I figure the headlights need to come out anyway. Maybe I'll find the hole for the plug. Don't recall seeing an opening that would match it, in that carpeting. It's going to come out to. Thanks for the lead.
Yeah, I typed on, but I meant behind.
Check my picture above, in my previous post.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:57 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Here’s a video showing the plug and headlight removal
Old 02-26-2019, 08:59 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I went through the same issues when pulling the batterg tray.

ended up buying a replacement tray (ebay) and new hardware (dealer)

front bumper removal and radiator cleaning is easy. I had to order new hardware for bumper but my local dealer is very helpful. Helps that parts guys are all regulars at our local Cars and Coffee and have older porsches of their own... they understand the struggle lol
Old 02-26-2019, 09:03 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Now I'm no expert, and I normally don't use the underhood VIN when recording VINs when I work on other people's 911s and Boxsters, but I think your car has definitely been painted.
On my 2002 the metal the VIN is stamped into is painted the same color as the rest of the car.
I think it is covered by a clear label, so that might be why your VIN plate area was not painted with the rest of the car.
Man someone went to a lot of trouble to completely change the color of your car though.
From seeing factory assembly videos it appears that the entire body (except for perhaps doors hood and fenders are painted at one time in the same color.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:04 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Here’s a video showing the plug and headlight removal

Great stuff. I love two-minute tutorials. He does a good job of explaining the tabs, alignment and the crank lever. Those shorts were a little distracting though...
Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Now I'm no expert, and I normally don't use the underhood VIN when recording VINs when I work on other people's 911s and Boxsters, but I think your car has definitely been painted.
On my 2002 the metal the VIN is stamped into is painted the same color as the rest of the car.
I think it is covered by a clear label, so that might be why your VIN plate area was not painted with the rest of the car.
Man someone went to a lot of trouble to completely change the color of your car though.
From seeing factory assembly videos it appears that the entire body (except for perhaps doors hood and fenders are painted at one time in the same color.
That's interesting. When I first noticed the red, it was under the driver's seat. Unless the car was fully stripped, that's not a place that could get painted. You may be right, but the records I have from registration by previous owners, list the car's color as blue. Will be interesting to see if the tags are still on the car or if they were removed. Such as prior to a respray. I'm not sure if I would prefer it in red. I do like red cars, though.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:34 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

It's amazing what get trapped in those drains. Mine had a very fine dust/mud after a hard rain backed it all up.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:16 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

Is the paint color decal still on the driver side “frame” rail in the frunk under the carpet? That would be a good data point.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:52 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cds72911
Is the paint color decal still on the driver side “frame” rail in the frunk under the carpet? That would be a good data point.
Will get the carpet out by tomorrow, at the latest. May not have time to mess with anything tonight.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:59 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

Just so you know, you don’t need to remove the carpet, just peel it back (as if you were going to remove the headlight). It’s one of the things I always check when I am serious about a 996.

Quick Reply: 125,000 mile "tune up"