Sponsored by:

125,000 mile "tune up"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

After the car had gotten up to temperature, I allowed it to run for a while. Then I heard the same "noisy bearing" sound I had heard when I first looked at the car. Hoping it would be corrected with the pulleys, waterpump and alternator, I was obviously disappointed to note its return. I raised the car high on the lift so I could try to isolate the location of the noise. Even took a couple of videos with my phone. How - 21st century...

It was clearly coming from the area of the IMS. Center of the engine, near the flywheel. May possibly be a little offset toward the second bank (passenger's side). Got real scared and started thinking the worst. I'm better now. Did a lot of reading and will walk slowly through a methodical course. The fact that the filter was so clean gives me some comfort. There is also the LNe retrofit barcode sticker and receipt that provide a fair amount of confidence the bearing is still sound. I've got some theories to work through and a lot more testing and analysis.

Did a few little things today. Ran the engine for a little while. No strange sounds. Also didn't let it run long enough to get up in temps. Had I heard anything unusual, I was prepared to drain the oil and drop the sump. Still will at the first hint of it again.

Decided to get extra ambitious and remove a bolt. Took out the bolt that holds the left taillight. Rerouted the engine cover release to an accessible spot.

Discovered I don't have OE taillights. Wouldn't know exactly what to look for. The lights seemed fine and from what I could tell, all the lights worked. But, only by reflection. My suspicions were peaked when I thought I saw a couple of cracks in the lens. Upon a closer look, they were flies. The little wispy ones that emerge on that special day, or two, in the middle of summer. Yeah - those flies. edit: one of those flies is visible at the far left of the photo immediately above.

That's what got me wondering. The "Made in Taiwan" tag was also a pretty good clue. But how did the flies get in? Oh - look, one of the plugs (rear fog?) isn't installed. I blew out the debris and capped off the open holes. These look to have LEDs in running and reverse lights.
Then I moved to the front to check the side markers. Both bulbs are blown. Hope they're not too expensive...

Last task for the day was reinstalling the engine cover and finding out which switch controlled the spoiler. It's the right one.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 02-25-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:16 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Do those ABS and airbag warning lights concern you at all? Warning lights of any kind bug the crap out of me and I would need to get them off. Ironically, I’m less concerned with the actual functionality of those two systems in particular.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:31 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Do those ABS and airbag warning lights concern you at all? Warning lights of any kind bug the crap out of me and I would need to get them off. Ironically, I’m less concerned with the actual functionality of those two systems in particular.
Not yet. I will research them later on. Got any leads on where to start that search?

By the way Coop, do you have a thread that covers your adventure? I'd like to learn more about your car and what you did to bring it back to life.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:47 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Old 02-25-2019, 10:24 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Great work! Thanks for the link. Your experience and choices will be a guide for me should I encounter issues worse than what I am hoping for.

In a former life, I worked for a company that had facilities in NC. One of them was in Asheville. Took more than a few business trips there. Recall beating on rental cars on the BRP and some of the unpaved ancillary roads. Always flew into Greenville/ Spartanburg. Don't recall the road - but it was always fun - even in a rental. Went through Bat Cave and past Chimney Rock. Recall taking a co-worker up Chimney Rock (shortly after they stopped running the hill climb event). He was a little white and needed to get out for a few minutes, after that. The exhaust on that car was clicking like mad. Probably did it some good...

Here's little segment that never failed to put a smile on my face. Between Bat Cave and Asheville....

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 02-25-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Ok confession time. Actually we know each other and worked together at one point. I recognized you from your list of cars. I’ll let you guess who I am for a while. If you think you know, PM me.
hint: I’m not that guy you rode with up chimney rock. I believe we called him “the great spherical one”!
Old 02-25-2019, 11:33 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Ok confession time. Actually we know each other and worked together at one point. I recognized you from your list of cars. I’ll let you guess who I am for a while. If you think you know, PM me.
hint: I’m not that guy you rode with up chimney rock. I believe we called him “the great spherical one”!

Wow! I thought there was something 'fishy' about you when you questioned my purchase of a cab. Did you work in Auburn Hills? You must have. I don't think I got to know many of the guys in Asheville, Hendersonville? or Morganton. Were you in foundation brakes, by chance? You've got a lot more (car) skills than what I would have judged most of the guys I worked with. It's going to be palm slap when I figure it out (or you let on). Any more clues you can share?

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 02-25-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:37 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Yes, worked in A.H. We both worked for a guy with initials B.S.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:44 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Yes, worked in A.H. We both worked for a guy with initials B.S.
I'm going with C.G. How the hell are you?
Old 02-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Getting close. I’m one of the two you mentioned. Last clue, should be a no brainer.
We both got totally inebriated and subsequently thrown out of a bar in Morgantown. Next morning had to drive back to Asheville with killer hangovers to catch a plane back to DTW.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Getting close. I’m one of the two you mentioned. Last clue, should be a no brainer.
We both got totally inebriated and subsequently thrown out of a bar in Morgantown. Next morning had to drive back to Asheville with killer hangovers to catch a plane back to DTW.
Could have been the beer - but I thought you were Charlie.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:25 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

������small world, ain’t it?
Old 02-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

������small world, ain’t it?
Yeah - but I sure as hell wouldn't want to paint it.

What got you into a Porsche?
Maybe you remember my first one - Herbie? Not sure I drove it much when I was still working there. Maybe not at all. It needed a lot of work to become drive-able. Had to do a little memory download - it was Mary McVeigh's car. Probably part of a divorce settlement....
Old 02-25-2019, 01:22 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

I don’t remember Mary’s Porsche. Anyway, you may remember I had a ‘67 Mini project car. I. Sold that many years ago and didn’t have Anything interesting for a while. Then my sons started driving and my free time was spent fixing their wrecks.
About 8 years ago we moved to Asheville, kids grew up and started their adult lives and I slowly started thinking about projects again. I decided British cars didn’t have the performance I was looking for, and I always wanted a Porsche. It turns out there are four in my neighborhood and it made me crazy hearing the flat six accelerating uphill past my house. That settled it, and after research I became aware of the issues with these engines and decided it would be a prefect project.
I found the roller in South Carolina, was a southern car all it’s life, no rust concerns, etc. but was neglected by its prior owners and finally it bit the last one in the butt. He had no mechanical skills and in his words “was tired of throwing money at it”, basically just wanted it out of his life. Perfect for me. My car has many desirable options; manual trans, sport seats, LSD, sport suspension, PSE, two sets of wheels, including a set of hollow turbo twists. Even though I’ll never race it, an occasional DE or track day is not out of the question. Mainly for me it’s just a fun road car.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:27 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Very cool. I do remember the Mini.
When you moved to Asheville, were you still working for the same company? If so, are you still there?
I could also see choosing that area to retire. May have been part of your plan, anyway.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 02-25-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 125,000 mile "tune up"