Sponsored by:

Better Analogy (Hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:25 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyCapranica

Value is the exact concept to which I am referring in this thread. This forum is obsessed with price. I am trying to help bring the conversation away from price and toward the value of the experience of 911 ownership. I don’t understand why everyone is so set on fighting me on this.
There is a direct correlation between price and value. One cannot exist without the other...
Old 01-24-2019, 01:25 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NuttyProfessor, that is the kind of response I’ve been hoping to inspire. Thank you for that response.

I agree with some of it and sincerely appreciate the thoughtful analogy. I don’t agree with it totally, but it’s pretty close to accurate except that I don’t think the 996s are anywhere near as problematic, when compared to the automobiles of that generation, as the internet made them out to be. I would concede, however, to the very real possibility of the internet being a big reason cars got so much better and more reliable in the very next generation - 997.1 included - in addition to being part of the reason behind the extremely low 996 and extremely high 964 sale prices.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:27 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Originally Posted by dporto
There is a direct correlation between price and value. One cannot exist without the other...
Wrong. Value and cost are codependent. Cost and price are supposed to be directly correlated, but aren’t always. Cost and price are not the same thing.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:35 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Why do you seem so bothered about cost and value of a 996? I'm assuming you bought a car, and people gave you some heat for "spending too much". You're putting way too much effort into beating a horse that has been dead for many years now, as you've seen between the two sides discussing their beliefs on current price points and the potential (or non-potential) of the future. Maybe if you give it time the horse will have a second coming around the same time as Jesus. Or it might just stay dead and get nibbled on by buzzards, but until then, might as well just enjoy what you have and stop worrying so much about speculative arguments.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:46 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Originally Posted by Billup
Why do you seem so bothered about cost and value of a 996? I'm assuming you bought a car, and people gave you some heat for "spending too much". You're putting way too much effort into beating a horse that has been dead for many years now, as you've seen between the two sides discussing their beliefs on current price points and the potential (or non-potential) of the future. Maybe if you give it time the horse will have a second coming around the same time as Jesus. Or it might just stay dead and get nibbled on by buzzards, but until then, might as well just enjoy what you have and stop worrying so much about speculative arguments.
Why are some people so interested in making this discussion about me? I specifically addressed exactly what you say in this post already. Did you even read this thread? This has NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW MUCH I PAID FOR MY CAR. Is it easier to read in all caps? I don’t know how else to communicate that fact other than to type it. This is not about me specifically. If you think this is a dead horse, then move on. There are plenty of other threads. There isn’t a single thread on this forum that directly addresses this particular issue.

There are plenty of threads that endlessly discuss the sale prices of different cars. This is not talking about the purchase price of a particular car. It is a discussion about the effect on public perception of value when 996 owners tell potential buyers that they’re paying too much money for a car they’ve never even seen. Why is this so difficult for people to understand? There are threads about the most obscure, nonsensical stuff on here and this topic could actually be useful. Why is it being fought against by some of you so vehemently? Is there a way I could’ve posted it anonymously so as not to make the thread about me? If the OP doesn’t interest you, why the hell would you post in the thread?
Old 01-24-2019, 01:51 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Both of these threads are just gross. No amount of drivel on a message board is going to change anything in regards to 996 pricing. Step away from the computer and go take a ride in your car, which the only reason you should have purchased is to put a smile on your face every time you drive it or look at it. Any other reason is something you've otherwise convinced yourself matters. Stop worrying so much about how much yours and others cars are worth or will be worth and start having some fun. You will be a lot happier person for it. Join PCA, go on a caravan ride with other Porsche owners, turn the radio off and take a weekend ride with a friend on a sunny winter day into the country, stop for lunch and take in the experience. That's what owning a Porsche is really about, the journey not the destination. Stop worrying about being right.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Why are some people so interested in making this discussion about me? I specifically addressed exactly what you say in this post already. Did you even read this thread? This has NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW MUCH I PAID FOR MY CAR. Is it easier to read in all caps? I don’t know how else to communicate that fact other than to type it. This is not about me specifically. If you think this is a dead horse, then move on. There are plenty of other threads. There isn’t a single thread on this forum that directly addresses this particular issue.

There are plenty of threads that endlessly discuss the sale prices of different cars. This is not talking about the purchase price of a particular car. It is a discussion about the effect on public perception of value when 996 owners tell potential buyers that they’re paying too much money for a car they’ve never even seen. Why is this so difficult for people to understand? There are threads about the most obscure, nonsensical stuff on here and this topic could actually be useful. Why is it being fought against by some of you so vehemently? Is there a way I could’ve posted it anonymously so as not to make the thread about me? If the OP doesn’t interest you, why the hell would you post in the thread?
People make it seem like they're making it about you, but you use the words "me and I" an awful lot in your OP.

It is easier to read in all caps, the lower case a's and e's tend to get blurry in my old age.

Public perception varies. Just like the values. I posted because this discussion has been discussed before, day in and day out. In fact, it's one of the main talking points of a 996, aside from *cue spooky music* IMSB.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:04 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Joey, I spent 3 years obsessing about buying a 996 and searched and looked at 100's of them (online) before pulling the trigger.
When someone starts a post asking for opinions I share my opinion! Mine may be different than yours and that's ok, but does it make me a dumb 996 owner?

I went in with my eyes wide open and hope one day the market goes through the roof...I bought a really nice roller for $4K and a really good (so far) motor for $6k. Did all the work (not a mechanic) myself and hope to keep it forever!

I hope you enjoy your 996 for many years to come, get out and drive!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:08 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

I think we’re just on different wavelengths on this topic. Now I know for sure it wasn’t just the way it was put. I can’t seem to convince you all that this has nothing to do with what I paid for my car. The market will always correct to whatever it “should” be, so I’m not worried the sky is falling or anything. I identified what I thought I to be an issue at least worth discussion. It is clear that I was wrong about that. I don’t know how to communicate complex topics like this over the internet without causing an argument no matter how much effort I put into it, so you’re right: I’ll just go for a drive in my car and let it be.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:11 PM
MattBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“in discussion you are searching for the truth, and in argument you want to prove that you are right. In discussion, therefore, you are anxious to know your neighbor’s views, and you listen to him. In argument, you don’t care anything about his opinions, you want him to hear yours.” Frank Cane, The Business Of Living, 1920
Old 01-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Wow, thanks for that useful contribution, Scott. You’re so clever!
Hey - I'm here to help.

I really don't get your fixation on the aftermarket and "support" from Porsche. Porsche supports everything they have ever sold. You could take a 912, a 914 and even a 924 to any dealer and get it serviced. As for aftermarket, you can buy nearly any part for just about any Porsche ever made. Pelican, Paragon, Vertex, Automobile Atlanta, to name a few, can get any part you will ever need. Am I missing your point about support?

As for market value and perception of value - you seem to be obsessed by this for some reason. I guess I can't get my clever mind around worrying about such trivial matters. The cars are worth what the customer is willing to pay. It really is that simple. Opinions on value are just that, opinions. The buyer must decide whether the price is right for them. Again, it's quite simple. Making more of it than actually exists, is what has me poking at you. It's really not a problem that needs to be (over) analyzed.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 01-24-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:14 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I learned at a young age "not to throw rocks at a hornets nest"...I knew what would happen, but I did it anyway.

Last edited by 808Bill; 01-24-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:24 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MattBurns
“in discussion you are searching for the truth, and in argument you want to prove that you are right. In discussion, therefore, you are anxious to know your neighbor’s views, and you listen to him. In argument, you don’t care anything about his opinions, you want him to hear yours.” Frank Cane, The Business Of Living, 1920
This is much appreciated and I plan to apply it today at work and at home!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025

This is much appreciated and I plan to apply it today at work and at home!
+1 Thanks for that quote. Great philosophy.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:52 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I learned at a young age "not to through rocks at a hornets nest"...I knew what would happen, but I did it anyway.
You weren't kidding about spelling....

Quick Reply: Better Analogy (Hopefully)