996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody wanna buy a superb 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 11:29 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Anybody wanna buy a superb 996 today?

No affiliation, just stumbled across it and thought I’d post up for those you looking...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...11-carrera-27/
Old 01-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Current bid $20k. Any guesses on what it’ll go for?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:10 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Current bid $20k. Any guesses on what it’ll go for?
My guess is 26k to 27k but who knows with these auctions.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:57 PM
HoustonCgrBkr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, who knows. I bought mine via BAT and I overpaid.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:53 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonCgrBkr
Yes, who knows. I bought mine via BAT and I overpaid.
I never used this service but is there a fee for buyers who win the final bid, just curious. This car does look great though Thanks, cheers ...
Old 01-21-2019, 10:33 AM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Before BaT started ending on places like Jalopnik it was a little more realistic but now prices are overinflated. A few cars I was eyeing ended up going for way more than I expected. I am glad mine popped up locally, it needs a little work but I will still end up paying less than some of these cars will go for all said and done.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:58 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Botsy67
I never used this service but is there a fee for buyers who win the final bid, just curious. This car does look great though Thanks, cheers ...
Buyers fee is 5% of sales price capped at $5,000.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Nice looking car.
I didn't look at all the photos, but I looked at the underneath ones which insterest me most.
I noticed they installed a Piersburg water pump.
Also looks like they may not have installed a new thermostat at the same time, or whoever installed it didn't clean the housing.
It also appears that they also reused the bolts.
I always use brand new bolts when they bolt into the engine block.
New bolts are cheap and drilling out an old broken bolt in that area would be a PIA.
Also noticed the sump hasn't been dropped lately.
It definitely was not pre-qualified for the IMSB install.
The oil filter housing looks like it's been on a while.
I would consider changing it at the next oil change.
I also spotted some water hoses that I would probably replace if it were mine.
Man, MA / NY cars are rustier underneath than the ones we see down here where it almost never snows.
If I had to guess how many miles it had on it by the pictures underneath, I would have guessed more than double what it has.

All in all, it looks pretty good.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I agree, that motor looks like it's seen more than the advertised miles on it.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:49 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I agree, that motor looks like it's seen more than the advertised miles on it.
Welcome to the land of ice and snow! It just makes the underside of any car look like crap, and very fast. I found my 996 from a dealer, but it had been a California car then a North Carolina car since new. We were not able to find any rust under it when doing the PPI. So right now my car is trapped in the garage but I need to drive it to the airport tomorrow, ugh. Will run it through our local car wash with underbody spray this weekend.

Agreed that BAT prices are getting very high. I was trying to find a car on that - I think that I actually bid against HoustonCgrBkr on one or two! They do showcase some nice cars though. This one just sold for $27,500 + 5% = $28,875. Seems like a lot of money for a 2002...
Daryll
Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Battery Guy
Welcome to the land of ice and snow! It just makes the underside of any car look like crap, and very fast. I found my 996 from a dealer, but it had been a California car then a North Carolina car since new. We were not able to find any rust under it when doing the PPI. So right now my car is trapped in the garage but I need to drive it to the airport tomorrow, ugh. Will run it through our local car wash with underbody spray this weekend.

Agreed that BAT prices are getting very high. I was trying to find a car on that - I think that I actually bid against HoustonCgrBkr on one or two! They do showcase some nice cars though. This one just sold for $27,500 + 5% = $28,875. Seems like a lot of money for a 2002...
Daryll
Damn, I could have gotten two for what I paid for mine and had $7k left over!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:10 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Damn, I could have gotten two for what I paid for mine and had $7k left over!
Mine was not that low, but even after all the work I had done (IMS, RMS, Clutch, sway bar bushings, complete maintenance service, etc.) I'm still in around $21k. Mine is a '99 and the BAT one has more stuff; maybe a coupe is worth a little more than a cabrio, but still. I would definitely not pay $8k more for this one than for mine. Also this had the same issue that I found with mine - dealer trade in, and all the service records were trashed. Before I bought mine I called all three dealers that showed up in Carfax and was able to confirm that maintenance services were performed, but I still did the whole nine yards after I bought it to make sure that nothing was missed. So its not like the BAT car has a 1" thick folder of service records either.
Daryll
Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

This went for around what I thought it would. I paid under 20k for mine with 50k miles, it does need some work but even adding it in it would not approach the selling price here.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:45 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Battery Guy
Mine was not that low, but even after all the work I had done (IMS, RMS, Clutch, sway bar bushings, complete maintenance service, etc.) I'm still in around $21k. Mine is a '99 and the BAT one has more stuff; maybe a coupe is worth a little more than a cabrio, but still. I would definitely not pay $8k more for this one than for mine. Also this had the same issue that I found with mine - dealer trade in, and all the service records were trashed. Before I bought mine I called all three dealers that showed up in Carfax and was able to confirm that maintenance services were performed, but I still did the whole nine yards after I bought it to make sure that nothing was missed. So its not like the BAT car has a 1" thick folder of service records either.
Daryll
In fairness, my purchase was unique and not for the faint of heart. I bought a roller with a blown engine for $4k and then sourced a low mile factory replacement motor out of a wreck for $6K. Doing all the work myself saved a fortune...
Old 01-22-2019, 02:23 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

In fairness, my purchase was unique and not for the faint of heart. I bought a roller with a blown engine for $4k and then sourced a low mile factory replacement motor out of a wreck for $6K. Doing all the work myself saved a fortune...
Very nice! Your skill level is orders of magnitude beyond mine, so I was looking for something that had been well cared for and was willing to pay a premium. Fortunately I did not have to go crazy money (that was not a possibility anyway). I wish that I had more mechanical ability, or at least time to learn!

Quick Reply: Anybody wanna buy a superb 996 today?