Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure at Startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:13 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Oil Pressure at Startup

Hey guys...everyone has helped me out a lot on here, and looking for some new advice.

I recently got my car back after having the Variocam solenoid replaced at 108k miles. I noticed yesterday that my car is making a somewhat loud knock/rattle sound for about 5 seconds when starting up first thing in the morning. The oil light stays on for about 5 seconds and I do not see oil pressure building on the gauge. After about 5 seconds, the light goes off, the oil pressure builds, and the engine smooths out and sounds fine. The car will start fine for the rest of the day with no odd noises or low pressure at startup.

Oil level is normal. Oil is changed every 5k. 108k miles on car.

Any my thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

At startup when cold, it’s always had a bit of clatter, which seemed normal based on other people experiencing the same thing.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:21 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Post a sound clip with your device as close to where the sound is coming from.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Does not sound normal. Oil pressure should go up much sooner. Mine does in 1 second.

Perhaps oil is draining out of the filter - is there an anti drain-back valve that prevents oil from draining out of the oil filter housing on these cars?

Old 01-20-2019, 11:27 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

one thousand one....one thousand two....one thousand three....5 seconds to bring up oil pressure is not good. Something is wrong. You say oil was changed...was the filter changed? Stock oil filter? What weight oil? Your oil pressure relief valve might be sticking. There is an upgraded valve and you might consider replacing that. You need some experienced help with this, because not only is it not normal, but with knocking and rattling, and no oil pressure, you are going to destroy your engine. Do not start again until you have someone on hand that knows these engines.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:52 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

You might have a twisted filter element if it's been over tightened it collapses the filter element inside the canister making flow difficult I'd bet it's this , worth checking if it was ok before!
Old 01-20-2019, 06:35 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 208 Posts

Might even pull the pan and check your oil pick up tube and o-ring to make sure your not sucking air or allowing oil to drain.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:11 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
Might even pull the pan and check your oil pick up tube and o-ring to make sure your not sucking air or allowing oil to drain.
+1 And do this ASAP! I wouldn't drive or start the car until this is sorted out, you could be doing big damage to the engine.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:05 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

Oil pressure sender, Maybe? Wouldn't explain the knock noise. When mine went glitchy, it was while driving and would suddenly drop to zero, then back to appropriate pressure quickly. Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:43 PM
MattBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5 seconds seems like an eternity. If it is really that long then you definitely need to do some investigating. Mine will rattle the timing chains if it's been sitting for a couple of days, but it isn't for more than a second.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Mine has oil pressure when cranking.
I wouldn't start yours until I'd figured out what's going on.
I would start with checking the oil filter and then dropping the pan.
If you're not a DIY'er, have it towed to an Indy to have them diagnose.
Don't drive it even if they're just a few blocks away.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Thanks for all of the input. I use 5/40 LiquiMolly Oil and have the LN Spin On filter. One piece of information that might be relevant is that I had the Variocam Solenoid/Actuator replaced at my Indy about two days before I noticed this issue. Before I call them back up, I'm wondering if any of their work coudl've caused this oil pressure issue. I've read about poor re-sealing jobs that could lead to potential issues.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:41 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

To replace the solenoid/actuator the cam cover has to come off. If the cam cover was leaking oil and causing the oil pressure problem, you would know it. What else did they do? Seems almost like the oil sump pickup tube is sucking air, the pickup tube is clogged with debris, or something is clogged internally. It might be wise and a good precaution to replace the oil filter and cut it open. Oil pressure should be there the moment the engine turns over.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:10 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaycote
Thanks for all of the input. I use 5/40 LiquiMolly Oil and have the LN Spin On filter. One piece of information that might be relevant is that I had the Variocam Solenoid/Actuator replaced at my Indy about two days before I noticed this issue. Before I call them back up, I'm wondering if any of their work coudl've caused this oil pressure issue. I've read about poor re-sealing jobs that could lead to potential issues.
Its possible, absolutely. However, it’s easy to blame a mechanic based on “it was fine before,” however you must try to find the source of the problem first. I would suggest doing what the other folks suggested - pull the filter first, check the pressure relief valve, then the sump plate. If the oil filter canister is dry, that’s a great hint as to the problem. It should be full of oil.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Jaycote
Instructor

What is the Pressure Relief Valve? Is this within the oil filter? I have the spin on adapted filter and I'm not familar with any valve.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:59 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaycote
I would have called them first.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure at Startup