996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wife surprised

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:47 PM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Something is wrong with the database. I answered this a different day. I wasn’t even awake at this time these two posts of mine indicate.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:29 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Hi Gary, would you by chance be a street photographer? If so, we have run into each other over the years AND I can give you decent advice on your questions!
Old 01-19-2019, 02:23 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andy7777
Hi Gary, would you by chance be a street photographer? If so, we have run into each other over the years AND I can give you decent advice on your questions!
Hey Andy... that would be me. Tell me where we've met? Looks like you drive Caymans? Let's take it off line. Looks like you're in Michigan?
Old 01-19-2019, 03:10 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Sent you pm .
Old 01-19-2019, 03:32 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Gary,
I am in Portland area too. Hope you find your way into a 911, but I’d involve the wife.

My story. I’ll keep it brief. Two years ago, with support from my wife I bought an Audi TTS. Gateway drug. 8 months later, I sold it back and ordered a TTRS (I should have just gone top-of-the-line to begin with). But. Never told wifee... I thought it would be fun, and I was curious whether she would notice the red trim around the vents, and the extra two buttons on the steering wheel. But, Audi TTRS got stuck in port, had an extended delay. So I bailed and bought the ‘dream’ 911.

My wife loves the 911. It makes our drives about ‘us’. Not a kid interference thing. I never thought she’d be telling me to put the loud exhaust on. But, she likey. We go to wineries in the Gorge.

Get a white one. We want to see your B&W photos of it. :-)
Old 01-19-2019, 05:03 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Gary,
I am in Portland area too. Hope you find your way into a 911, but I’d involve the wife.

My story. I’ll keep it brief. Two years ago, with support from my wife I bought an Audi TTS. Gateway drug. 8 months later, I sold it back and ordered a TTRS (I should have just gone top-of-the-line to begin with). But. Never told wifee... I thought it would be fun, and I was curious whether she would notice the red trim around the vents, and the extra two buttons on the steering wheel. But, Audi TTRS got stuck in port, had an extended delay. So I bailed and bought the ‘dream’ 911.

My wife loves the 911. It makes our drives about ‘us’. Not a kid interference thing. I never thought she’d be telling me to put the loud exhaust on. But, she likey. We go to wineries in the Gorge.

Get a white one. We want to see your B&W photos of it. :-)
Oh, she's involved. It keeps coming up in conversation. I've been vacillating back and forth right now between a Cayman S and a base level 911 of the '07 vintage. I really like the 997 body over the 991, and while I do have the liquid funds for the 991 don't like the style of it as much. Your note pushes me back toward the 911 camp. I've read that the mid-engines are a lot harder for DIY.

I've seen a few white and black examples and don't think they show off the curves well enough... I might have to go with 18% grey or seal grey. I am not a fan of the arctic silver with black interior.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:28 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

GT Silver does look good b&w!

Old 01-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by gumanow
Oh, she's involved. It keeps coming up in conversation. I've been vacillating back and forth right now between a Cayman S and a base level 911 of the '07 vintage. I really like the 997 body over the 991, and while I do have the liquid funds for the 991 don't like the style of it as much. Your note pushes me back toward the 911 camp. I've read that the mid-engines are a lot harder for DIY.

I've seen a few white and black examples and don't think they show off the curves well enough... I might have to go with 18% grey or seal grey. I am not a fan of the arctic silver with black interior.
If you don’t need the rear seats, I’d take a strong look at a Cayman...

Also, regarding driving too fast and getting hurt, I recommend taking some performance/safety DE (Driver Education) classes or events. First of all, it’s a blast. Secondly, you get to drive fast in a controlled environment (more controlled and safer than the street anyway). Make sure you get Lockton insurance for the car those days. Third, you will meet great people. Fourth, you will learn a ton and learn the safest way around your car, which is to say, know the limits and how to handle the car at the limits, which is the best way to get your butt out of trouble .

Good luck on the hunt. Oh, by the way, if you haven’t checked out Turo, I recommend it. You can rent all sorts of cars for a day or weekend
Old 01-21-2019, 07:36 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

If you don’t need the rear seats, I’d take a strong look at a Cayman...

Also, regarding driving too fast and getting hurt, I recommend taking some performance/safety DE (Driver Education) classes or events. First of all, it’s a blast. Secondly, you get to drive fast in a controlled environment (more controlled and safer than the street anyway). Make sure you get Lockton insurance for the car those days. Third, you will meet great people. Fourth, you will learn a ton and learn the safest way around your car, which is to say, know the limits and how to handle the car at the limits, which is the best way to get your butt out of trouble .

Good luck on the hunt. Oh, by the way, if you haven’t checked out Turo, I recommend it. You can rent all sorts of cars for a day or weekend
I've never been at fault in an accident; women plowed through an intersection/ran red light, and have had that conversation with my wife... so, I'm a safe driver and made that point. But taking a class would put her mind at ease.Great suggestions. I love it. I checked out Turo before but have forgotten about that option.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 01-21-2019, 07:46 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gumanow
I've never been at fault in an accident; women plowed through an intersection/ran red light, and have had that conversation with my wife... so, I'm a safe driver and made that point. But taking a class would put her mind at ease.Great suggestions. I love it. I checked out Turo before but have forgotten about that option.

Thanks,
Gary
You aren't going to get the car and just start to drive like an A-Hole lol. Maybe goose it occasionally but I actually tend to drive slower than my other cars and just take in the fun of the car.

Quick Reply: Wife surprised