Sponsored by:

Wife surprised

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:53 PM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 996 is my first Porsche.

When the opportunity came up to buy a 996 from the estate of a friend's brother, she looked at me sideways and said "no way"... then in her second breath was "How much does a car like that cost anyhow?". I responded "Well, they are asking 30K but I think it's worth less than that". Her response? "Oh, that's not that much".

At that point I figured I had permission. And started looking for the right car in earnest. When she said "Find out how much our insurance is going to increase before you do anything stupid" I knew that it was a done deal.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:27 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bplein
My 996 is my first Porsche.

When the opportunity came up to buy a 996 from the estate of a friend's brother, she looked at me sideways and said "no way"... then in her second breath was "How much does a car like that cost anyhow?". I responded "Well, they are asking 30K but I think it's worth less than that". Her response? "Oh, that's not that much".

At that point I figured I had permission. And started looking for the right car in earnest. When she said "Find out how much our insurance is going to increase before you do anything stupid" I knew that it was a done deal.
That's an awesome story! Looks like you got a 40th Anniversary Edition 996? Is that a 2004 with the X51 power option? How much did it increase your insurance? I think I'm looking at about $75 per month in addition to what I'm paying now, including my home, income property, and two cars, all with the same insurance agency. Your wife sounds like a very reasonable person. You lucked out. Mine is coming around.

Does she drive your 911?

Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Adding our Porsche to the insurance raised it just about $38/mo. This is for full coverage. That being said its billed as a "3rd vehicle, recreational" what ever that means. There is not restriction on when and how we can use it unlike the "antique insurance". They just assume that we will not be using it gull time because I have 3 other cars in the household.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:02 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

It's kind of eye-opening, reading all these family stories. It's not really about the car we buy, or the plane, or boat, or what we do for leisure, it's about the strength of the bond with our SO. Collectively, 911 owners tend to show pretty clear traits of success, reliance, and overall power/results in business, and family. We also seem to have spouses who think enough of THEIR partner that they get that part of our need to walk a little on the wild side.

Upper socio-economic groups like this and pilot forums let me know it's not all bad, like I was worried about back as a single guy.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:12 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
It's kind of eye-opening, reading all these family stories. It's not really about the car we buy, or the plane, or boat, or what we do for leisure, it's about the strength of the bond with our SO. Collectively, 911 owners tend to show pretty clear traits of success, reliance, and overall power/results in business, and family. We also seem to have spouses who think enough of THEIR partner that they get that part of our need to walk a little on the wild side.

Upper socio-economic groups like this and pilot forums let me know it's not all bad, like I was worried about back as a single guy.
Find the right woman, one who has the same goals and likes and you will never feel the "trap of commitment".
I couldn't be happier, she will pretty much stand behind anything I do, in turn that makes me want to treat her better than most men treat their S.O. because I wouldn't want to lose her. Too many of my friends can't sneeze without permission from their wives. Leads them to do all kinds of **** behind their backs. Unacceptable in my eyes. Most my friends want to go out without their wives drinking, watching the game etc, I want her to come because we have more fun together than apart. Now dont get me wrong, we do a lot apart because everyone needs space too.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:15 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by gumanow
Last night I casually mentioned that there are Honda Civics on the market with more power than a 911. She is coming around to it now and is probably wondering when I'll show up with it now. I think she is now expecting to see a 911 in the driveway.
I told my wife I was thinking of a ZL1 Camaro (650 hp). That made it easier to accept a Porsche.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:29 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got to the real reason. 300 horse isn't very much these days. My wife's station wagon has that. Honda Accords, Camry's, and minivans are reaching those numbers. If you've got a heavy foot, there's a lot of places to get in trouble these days. The Porsche actually helps with good brakes and handling.

Happy hunting! You just have to figure out a way to hide the running costs now haha.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:33 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My girlfriend is a "car gal", growing up in England and driving primarily stick cars her whole life. We enjoy car shows and auctions regularly. She saw the rear of an Audi R8 at a recent event and fell in love with the look. She currently drives a BMW 228i. But, she did not like the ride and engine noise in my previous 06 C2S Cab. I plan to get another P-Car this year but will probably spend way less time in it with her than I would like. Considering other cars, but I keep coming back to the 911. She won't be upset at all though if I get one though.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:13 PM
bplein
Racer

That's an awesome story! Looks like you got a 40th Anniversary Edition 996? Is that a 2004 with the X51 power option? How much did it increase your insurance? I think I'm looking at about $75 per month in addition to what I'm paying now, including my home, income property, and two cars, all with the same insurance agency. Your wife sounds like a very reasonable person. You lucked out. Mine is coming around.

Does she drive your 911?
  • Yes, it's a 40AE and I love it!
  • All 40AEs (only offered in 2004) included X51, sports suspension (variant of M030), limited slip diff, ligt weight wheels, and 2 front radiators from the C4S (including Turbo/C4S nose), GT3 side skirts and some other nice but cosmetic upgrades.
  • My insurance increased by $100/month but I carry higher limits and a personal umbrella and have two young adult children on our policy.
  • My wife is awesome, I agree, and thank you.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:14 PM
bplein
Racer

Oh, and she's free to drive it but she hasn't. I think she's scared to (she hasn't driven a stick since the early 90's)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:04 PM
gumanow
Advanced

I started this hunt thinking I wanted a 930 or 964. I test drove a few and couldn't get used to the floor pedals again. I drove VW Bugs back in college but its been a while now. Then I thought about AC and how that would be nice to have so I've settled on the 996 and 997.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:38 AM
bplein
Racer

I started this hunt thinking I wanted a 930 or 964. I test drove a few and couldn't get used to the floor pedals again. I drove VW Bugs back in college but its been a while now. Then I thought about AC and how that would be nice to have so I've settled on the 996 and 997.
The 996 (non-Turbo and not GTx) was offered in so many configurations that there is not a single “best”. But as a biased owner I’d submit that the 40AE is a great combination of performance options plus some cosmetic options and that many of them have been well preserved. In return you are optioned into a single color combination. They are a lot of fun however.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:41 AM
bplein
Racer

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
My girlfriend is a "car gal", growing up in England and driving primarily stick cars her whole life. We enjoy car shows and auctions regularly. She saw the rear of an Audi R8 at a recent event and fell in love with the look. She currently drives a BMW 228i. But, she did not like the ride and engine noise in my previous 06 C2S Cab. I plan to get another P-Car this year but will probably spend way less time in it with her than I would like. Considering other cars, but I keep coming back to the 911. She won't be upset at all though if I get one though.
Try a non-Cab. Open top vehicles are a complete different experience. Worth a try anyhow.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

There's a nice AE being sold in Kentucky (I think) for $21K which is a great deal FWIW!
Old 01-18-2019, 11:15 AM
gumanow
Advanced

Originally Posted by 808Bill
There's a nice AE being sold in Kentucky (I think) for $21K which is a great deal FWIW!
Do you have a link? Is it on this site?

Quick Reply: Wife surprised