What about Ohlins coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:31 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default What about Ohlins coilovers?

Hi,

I hear great things about the Ohlins coil overs, but how can they have more comfort than the stock? They are much stiffer.

Currently running JIC ZMS-S and I am not super happy, very bounce ride and a lot of noise. Maybe they are blown but don't think so.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:09 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

I went from JRZ double adjustable to R&T GT3 and the difference was night and day....I love the ride now and also fantastic on the track....However, this is a personal preference thing and only you can decide vs others opinions.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 PM
peteb3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my ohlins R&T
Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Ohlins are reasonable on the street - but I’ve got solid end everything so it’s still harsh.

They are brilliant on track.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:20 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Öhlins R/T*is made for those who want*trackworthiness but are unwilling to*compromise on*streetworthiness. The shock has a separate valve for absorption of quick compressions (bumps/smaller surface imperfections) in addition to the normal valve which controls constant compression (cornering). From what I gather, the Koni Frequency Selective Damping (FSD)*shocks have a similar technology.*

I have read countless reports of the Öhlins R/T having a more comfortable ride than the factory shocks/struts and springs on several platforms (mostly the E9x M3, but also S2K and others). I have also read several reports from those who have switched from more track oriented, more pricey coilover systems*and been much happier with the R/Ts for their*streetability while still being trackable. Those same folks usually said the R/T wasn’t necessarily a*great*performer on track, but was fine for a car which is used for 50% (or more) street driving and 50% (or less) track driving. They’re a bit too soft to be a dedicated track system, from what they say.*

The way I see it is: the*Öhlins R/T is the Pilot Super Sport (or, I guess Pilot Sport 4S now) of coilovers: mostly for a very sporty (yet comfortable)*street car, but (technically) capable*of track duty.*

I have not yet owned a set, though. I had planned to put them on my M3 after many months of reading reviews/threads on forums and asking people at car meets and such who had them what they thought about them and how they stacked up in comparison to relatively similar products. I was never overwhelmed by*the need to get them, however; the M3 was just fine for daily use and didn’t look bad at stock height. If I would’ve kept it instead of (or in addition to) getting this car, I would’ve gotten them because, at almost 80k miles, the suspension was due for a refresh anyway.*

To answer your question directly:*shocks (and all the parts of which most cars are comprised)*from the factory provide*the bare minimum performance*necessary to get the least of what the engineers and designers envisioned while being*competitive enough in the market to maximize returns on investments.*Öhlins is*an OEM manufacturer that develops*aftermarket solutions for those of us that are not satisfied with the bare minimum. Hence, the Öhlins R/T, which*satisfies the market segment that*wants very sporty driving dynamics without having back problems (a rapidly growing market segment).

Simply put,*the*R/T Dual Flow Valve (DFV) technology is the answer to why they can provide both better handling dynamics/road holding and more comfort simultaneously. The factory shocks don’t have that technology.*
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (09-16-2023)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:12 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I swapped out H&R street performance coilovers that was on the car with Ohlins R&T and happy with the ride and how it performed on the track. H&R had Tarret camber plate and quite noisy. The ride was and shock damping was poor. I also installed GT3 antiroll bars with stock shock mount and it is quite without any rattles or squeaks and at 9 from full soft on front and rear, it is firm but not uncomfortable in the DC metro area roads. I had it at 15 but it was too stiff on bumpy track surfaces.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:48 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbse39
I swapped out H&R street performance coilovers that was on the car with Ohlins R&T and happy with the ride and how it performed on the track. H&R had Tarret camber plate and quite noisy. The ride was and shock damping was poor. I also installed GT3 antiroll bars with stock shock mount and it is quite without any rattles or squeaks and at 9 from full soft on front and rear, it is firm but not uncomfortable in the DC metro area roads. I had it at 15 but it was too stiff on bumpy track surfaces.
I think that was the other thing that blew me away when I moved from JRZ to Ohlins….The car was quiet with no suspension noises. Such nice experience.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:30 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts

How do they compare to the adjustability of the Bilstein Pss10 systems?
Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c didy
Can't tell you since I haven't had the chance to play with it. Perhaps others have a perspective.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:55 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

"Santa" bought myself a set of Ohlins R&T before Christmas. Haven't installed them yet.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:39 AM
Northquest
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

They're both great products, but call for instance BBI (site sponsor and I am not affiliated) and ask about JRZ vs Öhlins for your car. Talk to some professionals that has owned a pair of them both... You also need to compare oranges to oranges - are you mounting a "touring" damper with original top mounts, a "racing" damper with camber plates and no isolation between suspension and body... etc. etc. People tend to have a lot of opinions based on the wrong facts and no knowledge what so ever when it comes to vehicle dynamics.
Paolo1 (09-16-2023)
Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
Was thinking the same thing, have always though I'd buy PSS10s but if I found olihns...
Old 01-17-2019, 09:52 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Ohlins are where its at
Paolo1 (09-16-2023)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:42 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Is it possible to set up the Ohlins R&T to standard USA C4S ride height? Or close to it? The web site indicates 20mm drop +- 15mm. I could handle 5mm-10mm drop, but 20mm would result in loud and potentially costly noises every time I left the driveway. Even at an angle.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:16 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Is it possible to set up the Ohlins R&T to standard USA C4S ride height? Or close to it? The web site indicates 20mm drop +- 15mm. I could handle 5mm-10mm drop, but 20mm would result in loud and potentially costly noises every time I left the driveway. Even at an angle.
I have the same fear, last weekend I scrapped my xpipe clamps coming out of a driveway and i've only got ROW M030!

Quick Reply: What about Ohlins coilovers?