Sponsored by:

DIY rear wiper delete, "alloy and carbon"

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:37 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default DIY rear wiper delete, "alloy and carbon"

[Posted this up in the 996 Turbo section but thought I'd post it here as well...]

I just did it yesterday and thought I'd post up my how to... I used an Alloy & Carbon kit. Super easy to do, maybe 20 minutes tops. Probably took longer to create this post.

The vendors website is down right now (www.alloycarbon.com) but they have them on ebay as well (here). They had a few styles, carbon fiber, anodized, and many OEM paint to match colors. An out of country vendor (Greece), but shipped promptly. Was about $40 shipped.

Remove old rear wiper arm and motor assembly

Outside car:
  1. Pull up plastic cover on rear wiper arm
  2. Remove nut. 13mm??
  3. Remove wiper arm.
Inside Car:
  1. Move front seats all the way forward for more room, climb in back seat area facing backwards
  2. Remove trim panel directly under window glass. Work your fingers under an edge and pull straight towards the front of the car. It will take some force but the clips will come undone.
  3. Make sure you account for all five clips after removing trim.
  4. Unbolt two 10mm nuts holding in wiper.
  5. Pull wiper motor down until shaft clears, then towards front of car until fully removed.
  6. Disconnect single wiring connector, tuck car wiring out of way.
Install Cap

Outside car:
  1. Ensure gasket is in place on cap
  2. Thread bent rod into cap.
  3. (clean around hole in car if needed)
  4. Place cap and rod in hole.
  5. Get friend to put finger on cap and say "hold here" .
Inside car:
  1. Make sure bent rod is at proper angle, adjust if needed.
  2. Place gasket, large machined metal piece, small plastic piece, metal washer, and knurled nut on shaft in that order.
  3. Tighten knurled nut.
Put inside trim back together:
  1. Take clips off plastic trim piece of they stayed on.
  2. Put all five clips on metal portion of car.
  3. Push trim onto clips until you hear them all click.
Overall, happy with the mod for $40. Paint match is pretty good, though Arctic silver is notorious for being hard to match. Perhaps a slight bit of texture difference between the cap and my seventeen year old paint. Looks like it will make a nice, tight, weatherproof seal and looks cleaner than the wiper.

I know bumperplugs also has a solution, I think theirs is a plastic cap that is siliconed on to the car rather than a metal cap "sandwiched" into the opening with a fastener. But at $87 shipped for bumperplugs vs $40 shipped, I decided to try the alloy and carbon solution, though I think bumperplugs is a great company with awesome products.

The kit. I ordered the domed cap, Arctic Silver.

Before:

After removing arm:

Trim piece inside and clips:

Two nuts to remove wiper motor. Pull down and toward front to remove motor, only part that was a tiny bit tricky...

Wiper motor:

Disconnect electrical plug, tuck or zip-tie out of the way:

Hole you are left with. Clean if needed:

Place cap, gasket, and threaded rod on outside. Have someone hold it in place:

Put on pieces in order shown above, tighten:

After:

Looks great!
The following 3 users liked this post by pfbz:
kingroon (07-13-2021), paddlefoot64 (10-19-2023), Wirebender (02-22-2024)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:20 PM
su8pack1
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice job, looks good.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:50 PM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice job, but I like my wiper!
Old 06-10-2023, 10:39 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 446 Likes on 208 Posts

Thank you for an excellent and very helpful post OP.
One minor thing I noted my wiper motor was secured by three 10mm bolts on my 2001 996 C2 Coupe, not two :

Unfortunately a previous owner fell victim to the dreaded wiper blade scratching the rear quarter panel paintwork scenario whilst it was raised during the process of washing the car, and on more than one occasion by the looks of it.
So deleting the wiper was rather closing the stable door after the horse had bolted.
But irrespective, I think the rear wiper is a “monstrous carbuncle” (© the current King Charles, Google it) on the otherwise pure and simple shape of the 996, so I was adamant it had to go :

The EBay vendor wasn’t able to offer the painted, colour matched service , so I did it myself, the plug prepped with a Scotchbrite pad, degreased, then etch primed with 5 light coats of aluminium compatible etch primer in a rattle can, this was left to dry for 4 days, flatted with 2000 wet and dry, then overpainted with 5 coats of Zanzibar Red basecoat, which was again left 4 days to dry, before flatting that too with 2000 wet and dry.
Finally, five coats of clear lacquer were applied and left to dry for a week before wet sanding the finish with old/used 2000 wet and dry, and then buffing the flatted surface with medium and fine cutting compound.
Here’s the result :

And a comparison with the freshly 3 stage corrected paint on the car prior to fitting the delete plug :

Not a bad match for 22 year old paint !!
Suffice to say I’m very pleased with the new “cleaner” look the deletion of the rear wiper has provided

Last edited by Atgani; 06-10-2023 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (10-19-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 03:52 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Rear wipers are one of my favorite options.
Old 06-10-2023, 05:08 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 446 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by dougn
Rear wipers are one of my favorite options.
Good for you, not sure why you felt the need to post that on this particular thread though
Old 10-16-2023, 11:38 AM
QwikKotaTX
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

How does the carpet back there come out below the plastic trim panel?

I'm actually trying to replace the Turbo emblem on the front of the carpet but there does not appear to be any mating pieces for the male pins to snap in to.

Bumping an old thread rather than creating a new one...

Last edited by QwikKotaTX; 10-16-2023 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY rear wiper delete, "alloy and carbon"