Sponsored by:

Wheels for Millennium Edition Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 03:38 AM
geek
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels for Millennium Edition Porsche

Hi - Firstly I want to wish you all a Happy New Year ahead. So I am researching online to get 4 wheels for my 996 Millennium Edition. Currently the wheels are not original.
One thought is that I should go for brand new sets of wheels, whatever the latest technology and design has to offer.
Another option is to try to find original looking ones. Do you know any OEM or manufacturer which are making retro model NEW wheels ? Saw listings on ebay for used ones, however I need some assurance on the quality. I found this site called originalwheels.com and saw 18" polished ones. Slightly expensive but the website says that the wheels are used but condition is "Like New" .... Have you folks any experience / opinion buying from this site? I am wondering about the quality and safety of 18 year old used wheels.....
Thanks.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by geek
Hi - Firstly I want to wish you all a Happy New Year ahead. So I am researching online to get 4 wheels for my 996 Millennium Edition. Currently the wheels are not original.
One thought is that I should go for brand new sets of wheels, whatever the latest technology and design has to offer.
Another option is to try to find original looking ones. Do you know any OEM or manufacturer which are making retro model NEW wheels ? Saw listings on ebay for used ones, however I need some assurance on the quality. I found this site called originalwheels.com and saw 18" polished ones. Slightly expensive but the website says that the wheels are used but condition is "Like New" .... Have you folks any experience / opinion buying from this site? I am wondering about the quality and safety of 18 year old used wheels.....
Thanks.
Hey geek,

If you want OEM I'd say take your time and you'll find reasonably-priced polished twists will eventually pop up. In my case I wanted something more than the stock twists but also era-appropriate. Finally found a set of BBS Sport Classic II's on ebay, had them refinished inside and out all for about half the price of what originalwheels.com charges.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:48 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Thanks.
Do you have a photo of the retro model styling that you are interested in? Rotiform offers a wheel called the FUC that is custom built per order and can be spec'd in any sizing. Feel free to PM or email me for more info - David@WheelsBoutique.com

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 01-04-2019, 04:24 PM
geek
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simonriply - Thanks for the tip. Those BBS SC II looks awesome !

WheelsB - I shall check out your site as well. At this point I am not tied to any styling. Trying to evaluate which wheel would be appropriate. Don't want to choose a wrong design but don't want old beaten up rims either. Offcourse all should be at a reasonable price.

btw - I am open to any good design and material suggestion as well which will work with 996 ME. It need not be period correct.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:16 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Offcourse all should be at a reasonable price.

This was the dilemma I found when I was looking for new wheels. I wasn't super into the offerings that "budget" manufacturers like Victor Equipment make: https://www.victorequipmentwheels.com/ (budget in quotes because $3,000 is still a lot for wheels...) Whom, by the way, is TSW doing business as Victor... Not a knock on TSW or anything, but I consider them nothing special... or the "Tire Rack Special."

I seemed to have a habit of falling in love with wheels whose price tag was approaching $7,000+ for a full set (plus rubber.) Most of the forged wheels sets fell into this range.

My two cents is that used wheels aren't any more prone to damage than new wheels if they are in original condition. I've read other users on these forums state that even wheels that are properly repaired are safe to run. Check out offerings in the Rennlist marketplace. Lots of guys ditch their OEM wheels for aftermarket, and sell the OEM's for a good price. If you're patient, I'd be willing to bet you could snag up some polished twists to match the Millennium OEM look sometime this year. I see them pop up fairly regularly.

Good luck, and keep your sanity shopping for wheels. I almost lost mine

Full disclosure: I ended up buying used TechArt Formulas and had them refinished. They were the wheel I settled on mentally, but couldn't afford new.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:55 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I love those Fuch replicas!
Old 01-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Alpina68
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsB
Do you have a photo of the retro model styling that you are interested in? Rotiform offers a wheel called the FUC that is custom built per order and can be spec'd in any sizing. Feel free to PM or email me for more info - David@WheelsBoutique.com

Can you use the factory center cap?
Old 01-05-2019, 11:24 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

WheelsB - I shall check out your site as well. At this point I am not tied to any styling. Trying to evaluate which wheel would be appropriate. Don't want to choose a wrong design but don't want old beaten up rims either. Offcourse all should be at a reasonable price.
In addition to Rotiform we carry over a dozen other premium wheel brands that span across a wide range of pricing. The brands we specialize in build their wheels from scratch so I'm sure if you jump over to our website you will find many styles that you'll fall in love with and within your budget - www.WheelsBoutique.com

Originally Posted by Alpina68
Can you use the factory center cap?
Yes, the wheels can be cut to have the center area opened to utilize Porsche OEM caps.

Quick Reply: Wheels for Millennium Edition Porsche