Sponsored by:

What a day, now to figure out what's happening with the car

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 11:00 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MattBurns
If the relay wasn't working the fuse likely wouldn't be blown. I guess it's possible there is a short between the fuse and relay, but in my experience that is rare. You could verify by pulling the relay and installing a new fuse. If it doesn't blow your short is on the other side of the relay which is most likely the case.
true, just figured I'd test it to be sure while I could.

i put a new 30A fuse in and it blew immediately ion trying to start the car. It tries to turn over, but can't, not surprisingly one I saw the led on the fuse come on.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:02 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by lowpue
Wow...watching this realtime diagnosis is really great to see. THis is a great example of the power of this forum. I am not even the one this is happening to and yet...Thanks guys and TSG, hope its as easy as it seems.
it's amazing to see.

again, thank you to those that can assist.

tomorrow I'll see if I can pull the coil from cylinder 1. Have to find a way to get the car in the garage first.

cylinder 1 is driver side, closest to rear, correct?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:03 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

If the smart fuse (or any fuse) blows, that means there's an electrical path flowing to ground with very low resistance. This same path makes the LED light up. If you remove the shorted component that provides this ground path, the LED will turn off, then you know the component is thre culprit.

Look at the right side of the engine compartment. Deep inside you will see two big round electrical connectors. Just unscrew and pull apart. One at a time. Check if the LED still lights up.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:04 PM
MattBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatSalesGuy
it's amazing to see.

again, thank you to those that can assist.

tomorrow I'll see if I can pull the coil from cylinder 1. Have to find a way to get the car in the garage first.

cylinder 1 is driver side, closest to rear, correct?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ahsai
If the smart fuse (or any fuse) blows, that means there's an electrical path flowing to ground with very low resistance. This same path makes the LED light up. If you remove the shorted component that provides this ground path, the LED will turn off, then you know the component is thre culprit.

Look at the right side of the engine compartment. Deep inside you will see two big round electrical connectors. Just unscrew and pull apart. One at a time. Check if the LED still lights up.
what are these round connectors? Just curious

pulled each one separately and turned ignition to on. Led came on while each was pulled.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Those connectors (actually one of them) contains the wires connected to the coils and injectors. I suggested this because these are very easy to reach and unplug.

If the LED is still ON even after BOTH are disconnected, you problem is somewhere else. Could be the O2 sensors. You can just remove the airbox and unplug the O2 sensors one by one and keep checking the LED.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:25 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

I crawled under and saw the coil pack.

I'm not a genius, but something is telling me it shouldn't look this way.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:28 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

You found it!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:29 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Those connectors (actually one of them) contains the wires connected to the coils and injectors. I suggested this because these are very easy to reach and unplug.

If the LED is still ON even after BOTH are disconnected, you problem is somewhere else. Could be the O2 sensors. You can just remove the airbox and unplug the O2 sensors one by one and keep checking the LED.
is there a diagram for the O2 sensors? How many?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:30 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

retracted comment after noticed you found the source
Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

You found it!
but wouldn't unplugging the other connectors have caused this short to disappear temporarily?

The more I look at it, the tears appear to be in the rubber boot, not wiring.

edit: maybe is wiring too after zooming in

do you happen to know the size of socket needed to get those star bolts out?
is there a diagram showing where the other end of the wires go? This doesn't appear to be part of the coil pack, but a wiring harness.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatSalesGuy
but wouldn't unplugging the other connectors have caused this short to disappear temporarily?

The more I look at it, the tears appear to be in the rubber boot, not wiring.

edit: maybe is wiring too after zooming in

do you happen to know the size of socket needed to get those star bolts out?
is there a diagram showing where the other end of the wires go? This doesn't appear to be part of the coil pack, but a wiring harness.
when i zoom it that looks like rodent damage and i do see damaged wires not just the boot. Hard to tell by the picture but that does look like it is the coil connector and the wire looks to be black. The black coil wire is on the same circuit as fuse C2 so i think you are on the right path.

I am not as familiar as other with the 996 wiring layout. But i too would have assumed that once the 2 round bulkhead connectors were discconected and the fuse led stayed light - that the problem would have then been inside the cabin. Again that assuming the 2 connector cut all links on the circuit between in cabin and engine compartment. The diagrams i have dont show those connectors so i dont know. Maybe someone else can chime in.

however seeing the the picture you took i think that is going to be your issue. If that does find to be rodent damage, take a good look around for more damaged wiring and in the air filter and cabin filter housings.

its 11pm on the east coast so i am off to bed. Hopefully i wake up in the am to some awesome diag info and a conclusion for you. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:10 AM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
when i zoom it that looks like rodent damage and i do see damaged wires not just the boot. Hard to tell by the picture but that does look like it is the coil connector and the wire looks to be black. The black coil wire is on the same circuit as fuse C2 so i think you are on the right path.

I am not as familiar as other with the 996 wiring layout. But i too would have assumed that once the 2 round bulkhead connectors were discconected and the fuse led stayed light - that the problem would have then been inside the cabin. Again that assuming the 2 connector cut all links on the circuit between in cabin and engine compartment. The diagrams i have dont show those connectors so i dont know. Maybe someone else can chime in.

however seeing the the picture you took i think that is going to be your issue. If that does find to be rodent damage, take a good look around for more damaged wiring and in the air filter and cabin filter housings.

its 11pm on the east coast so i am off to bed. Hopefully i wake up in the am to some awesome diag info and a conclusion for you. Good luck.
yeah, I started thinking the same when zooming in. I have never seen or heard of rodents here in my neighborhood other than rabbits. I will definitely be looking around some more.

trying to track down where to buy this harness and a diagram of where the other end goes. Not finding anything on pelicanparts or suncoast porsche websites yet.

thanks for the help.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

The power to the coils and injectors come from pin4 of one of the big round connector called x59/1, which connects to relay #2 (ignition/O2 sensor), then to fuse C2.

What if you remove relay#2 under the rear parcel shelf? Does the LED stays lit?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:19 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Your better bet would be to repair the harness or get a used set from ebay. A brand new one will probably be more than $1k.

Quick Reply: What a day, now to figure out what's happening with the car