Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Advice sought - sledgehammer to kill a fly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 04:21 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The "white" plastic bits will look brownish over time but not "black" and the "brown" will just look more "brown".
The "black" bits ill always look "black".

If you really saw black then it was little bits off the main chain guide...

Remove the sump next time and inspect everything well!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:59 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by joe-1972
The "white" plastic bits will look brownish over time but not "black" and the "brown" will just look more "brown".
The "black" bits ill always look "black".

If you really saw black then it was little bits off the main chain guide...

Remove the sump next time and inspect everything well!
^^This^^... the “white” really isn’t white white - more ivory colored, but it doesn’t take them long to change to brown...
Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I found a few very small plastic pieces in my oil filter in the past. I installed a 2 quart deep sump kit several months ago and found a few larger pieces in the sump. My car has 92k miles and has been tracked a lot.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:35 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

I can't get pics to upload. I hit the upload button, but nothing happens.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Personally I would monitor by changing the oil and inspecting the filter every 3-6 months, and see what yer get
Old 01-03-2019, 06:56 AM
91One
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
I found a few very small plastic pieces in my oil filter in the past. I installed a 2 quart deep sump kit several months ago and found a few larger pieces in the sump. My car has 92k miles and has been tracked a lot.
Did you have any engine work done and find out what the bits were from? Or have you been driving the car and only monitoring?

I've made up my mind to do an oil change a couple of months after season starts, regardless of mileage. Close monitoring now seems more sensible to me than an engine out job.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

The upload worked today. All of those bits were plastic. My sump had been removed early in its life to install an X51 baffle, which probably contributed to the engines longevity. I plan on monitoring until I have the time to drop the engine and replace the accessable chain guides. I did buy a Durametric Pro, but I haven't used it to measure deviation yet.

The engine out is not just for the guides. I don't think the engine has ever been removed from the car. There are multiple parts that need to be replaced or upgraded. AOS, water pump, thermostat, oil pump shaft, plastic vacuum tubes, etc.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:32 PM
91One
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
The upload worked today. All of those bits were plastic. My sump had been removed early in its life to install an X51 baffle, which probably contributed to the engines longevity. I plan on monitoring until I have the time to drop the engine and replace the accessable chain guides. I did buy a Durametric Pro, but I haven't used it to measure deviation yet.

The engine out is not just for the guides. I don't think the engine has ever been removed from the car. There are multiple parts that need to be replaced or upgraded. AOS, water pump, thermostat, oil pump shaft, plastic vacuum tubes, etc.
Thanks for posting the pic. Hard to tell the true scale here; the bits do look quite a lot larger than what was in my oil filter. I'm scared to look in the sump now... LOL
Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 91One
Thanks for posting the pic. Hard to tell the true scale here; the bits do look quite a lot larger than what was in my oil filter. I'm scared to look in the sump now... LOL
The bits were definitely bigger than what I saw in the filter. They were shaped like little flakes, which makes sense. They were shaved off the guides at some point.

You can also see that they used too much sealant when they reinstalled the sump pan. There were two small beads of sealant on my oil pickup tube screen. Fortunately not enough to affect oil flow. I used just a very thin layer when I reinstalled and have no leaks.

Quick Reply: Advice sought - sledgehammer to kill a fly?