996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Calibration 996 top with PIWIS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Taffy Flynn
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a play with a Durametric today, kept dropping out on the surface pro 3 windos 8.1 i was using. Possibly a USB 3,0 issue. Will try it on my old dell when i get back home. Its really odd in that you can get in, get the cable connected and then run 1 command before it drops out and 'cannot communicate'.
Grabbed a cheap volt meter to adjust the POT while i am away, will try tonight when it cools down from being 40C outside...
Old 01-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Flatlined
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is top stopping at? When it’s saying that the calibration times out. I had one top that didn’t really show itself through piwis. It took me dissecting the complete system to understand where each part was and when each part was to be initiated and where it is supposed to start and stop at. This particular one was from both left and right worm gear motors that are located near the rollover bars. There’s two micro switches on each. You can also move them manually with an hex to set in open or closed position.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:34 AM
Taffy Flynn
AutoX

I made this video a little while ago and essentially we are at the same stage:
Calibration wise it does nothing, no movement at all.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy Flynn
What am i looking for to see this?
Thanks,
Taffy

Edit: Found an image in the car, but in PIWIS what am i looking for?
http://www.cabriolethydraulics.com/pdf/fig16and17.png
I may have confused you about the 6.2kohm setting on the clam pot at fully open. I'm referring to the clam shell being fully open (service position )and not the convertible top fully open (which would be clam fully closed).

The clam pot should show above 1.0v when clam is fully open and under 3.9v when clam is fully closed.

Actuate side flaps using PIWIS "drive links" and check for open signal and closed signal from end switches shown in PIWIS.

Using PIWIS "drive links" you can open close clam shell, open and close side flaps, open and close convertible top, open and close top latch, ect, and watch pots, and end switches for proper function.

I am familiar with the "plastic cover" breaking off the latch hook causing the micro-switch in the windshield frame not to show when latched. I use a thin piece of plastic and superglue to the microswitch pad as a "quick fix" to make the top work on occasion. That plastic cover may be available as separate part now..I'll check to see.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Taffy Flynn
AutoX

Thanks Porschetech3, will see about resetting the POT and getting access to the PIWIS again to run the tests.
I did get a durametric but having some issues getting it to run, keeps dropping out after running for a short time and wont let me see the convertible module at all before it loses sync. Have emailed the support team to see if they can help.
Thanks,
Taffy
Old 11-21-2022, 12:22 AM
drottz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taffy Flynn
I made this video a little while ago and essentially we are at the same stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC1zFLgt0f4
Calibration wise it does nothing, no movement at all.

Hello I know it's an old thread but I am stuck at the same place after replacing the driving mechanist. Did you find out where the top should be when setting up the 6.2kOhms.?
Also how do you measure the voltage if not using PIWIS?

thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2024, 08:50 PM
virtual_law
AutoX

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I may have confused you about the 6.2kohm setting on the clam pot at fully open. I'm referring to the clam shell being fully open (service position )and not the convertible top fully open (which would be clam fully closed).

The clam pot should show above 1.0v when clam is fully open and under 3.9v when clam is fully closed.

Actuate side flaps using PIWIS "drive links" and check for open signal and closed signal from end switches shown in PIWIS.

Using PIWIS "drive links" you can open close clam shell, open and close side flaps, open and close convertible top, open and close top latch, ect, and watch pots, and end switches for proper function.

I am familiar with the "plastic cover" breaking off the latch hook causing the micro-switch in the windshield frame not to show when latched. I use a thin piece of plastic and superglue to the microswitch pad as a "quick fix" to make the top work on occasion. That plastic cover may be available as separate part now..I'll check to see.
Sorry to butt in but this was the only thread I could find discussing Pot 2 values.
My situation on my '99 c4 cab is a little strange. Top fully cycles, but my clamshell only opens about 95% of the way when lowering the roof. When roof is fully stacked, clamshell closes about 95% again, so that it is not flush with body.
I've looked at all the threads and read the service manuals, and have some theories:
1. When the rams were rebuilt, and before the recalibration, the workshop manual calls for "compartment lid drive screw" to be turned till clamshell reaches a "perceptible stop". I'm guessing my mechanic did not wound that screw out all the way, and started recalibration at 95% of clamshell travel, which the ecu then saved. Is that how it works?
2. The roof itself is working fine. Can I put top in service position using dash switch, go to the rear seats and turn the clamshell drive screw till it's fully open? Does that count as an emergency open and prompt a recalibration?
Here's the pot 2 value readings from my scanner:

Last edited by virtual_law; 03-21-2024 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Calibration 996 top with PIWIS