Sponsored by:

3.6l Damaged Cam Cover Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:53 PM
BigBen762
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3.6l Damaged Cam Cover Repair?

I purchased a 3.6l from a 2003 C4S at a good discount from a reputable ebay seller that has a chunk missing from the 4-6 cylinder bank cam cover around one of the seals. What would be an economical and robust way to repair this and not have the seal leak? I attached a picture of the cam cover damage.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:11 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

A good welder could fix that. But I'd find a new/used cover.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:50 AM
BigBen762
Rennlist Member

The issue with using a used cover is that the head and cam cover are line bored together since two journals for each cam are part of the cover. So a different cover could be used, but it would be risky.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:55 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,709 Posts

I think either way, a new cover or welding, u would have to pull the head and have the seal surface machined. I dont think i would try alumiweld or jb weld in this situation.

just currious, do u know why that section is broken?
Old 12-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Do you still have the piece that broke off? If not, it's probably going to be difficult to find a permanent solution, at least for a reasonable price.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BigBen762
The issue with using a used cover is that the head and cam cover are line bored together since two journals for each cam are part of the cover. So a different cover could be used, but it would be risky.
Forgot about that.
I hope OP got a great price on this motor!
Old 12-21-2018, 06:45 PM
BigBen762
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I think either way, a new cover or welding, u would have to pull the head and have the seal surface machined. I dont think i would try alumiweld or jb weld in this situation.

just currious, do u know why that section is broken?
The car was in a rear end collision, I purchased it from a dismantler from Ebay. He had a video of the engine running before removal from the car and disclosed the damage. Can anyone recommend machine shop near Pasadena, CA?
Old 12-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I would buy a used cam cover and have it checked for alignment at a competent machine shop. If you repair the current one, you will be putting a lot of heat into it. It will require machining of the hole on the end and will also need to be checked for alignment.

It wouldn't surprise me if a unit off a different engine fit with little or no adjustment/machining.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:14 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

To use another cover, you have to have the cam bore journals checked and if out of spec would need to be adjusted, which just to check, would require the head removed and cams removed then the cover bolted back together to measure the bearing bore.

I would go with having the damage welded on the cover from a professional aluminum welder, the hole for the rubber cap is not terribly critical and can be a little off, just use some silicon sealer to make sure no leaks, and possibly even bolt a retainer plate over the cap to keep it from popping out. The big brown plug has been notorious about popping out due to back pressure surges when hitting the rev-limit. Race teams such as TRG ( The Racers Group) ALWAYS bolted retainer plates over the big brown cap !!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:31 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
To use another cover, you have to have the cam bore journals checked and if out of spec would need to be adjusted, which just to check, would require the head removed and cams removed then the cover bolted back together to measure the bearing bore.

I would go with having the damage welded on the cover from a professional aluminum welder, the hole for the rubber cap is not terribly critical and can be a little off, just use some silicon sealer to make sure no leaks, and possibly even bolt a retainer plate over the cap to keep it from popping out. The big brown plug has been notorious about popping out due to back pressure surges when hitting the rev-limit. Race teams such as TRG ( The Racers Group) ALWAYS bolted retainer plates over the big brown cap !!
Curious what this "retainer plate" looks like.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Curious what this "retainer plate" looks like.
It is nothing fancy, just a flat plate of 3/16 aluminum with two holes in to mount to existing threaded holes in the head. The holes are offset from the cam cap but still provides adequate tension on the cap since the backpressure surges are only a few PSI, but is enough to pop out the caps.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3

The process for checking the bore alignment is more complicated than I assumed in my post #8.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:37 PM
Southernman
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprised that no one has offered up 2-part epoxy (JB Weld etc.) as a solution. And I'm only half kidding. It wouldn't be pretty oh, but it would work.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:27 PM
Dan951Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a car I planned on keeping for a long time, I’d attempt a fancy JB job. If I ever sold the car I would certainly be up front with it and let the price reflect what is definitely a new cylinder head

Quick Reply: 3.6l Damaged Cam Cover Repair?