Sponsored by:

Removing Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:24 AM
langg
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing Oil

How do you sample the oil or remove oil without removing the drain plug?

Thanks,

Lang G
Old 12-20-2018, 10:41 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Samples should be taken when it's time to change your oil. Mid stream for best results.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:05 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by langg
How do you sample the oil or remove oil without removing the drain plug?

Thanks,

Lang G
Hi Lang, 808Bill is right. Oil samples should be taken at oil change intervals. I think someone had suggested sucking it out of the oil filler hose if you wanted to get a random sample, but I wouldn't do it. The best method is drive the car and when it comes time to change the oil, remove the drain plug, let it drain for at least 5 seconds and then capture the sample.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:51 AM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Here are some videos on how to do it. The fact that the during-oil-change video is 2 minutes long and the vacuum pump video is 6 minutes long tells you which method is easier

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information/videos/
Old 12-20-2018, 01:32 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I’ve done both methods on various makes and model.
I suggest doing a during an oil change method when possible.
I’ve used through the dipstick method only when the vehicle was immobile and was trying to decide whether to buy it and flip or not.
If you do it correctly, you’ll be getting oil from down in the bottom of the sump.
I use the pump sold by Blackstone.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:21 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Pull the oil filter you will lose about a quart.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:33 AM
langg
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I have been taking the samples when I change the oil. However, I read the LN Engineering piece on correct oil level for DE. I usually run at the full mark on the dipstick (still has one) but LN recommends running lower level and I was wondering how to accomplish that without dumping 10 quarts of practically new oil.

Last time I tried to put something down the fill tube it would not go far enough before it hit an obstruction.

Lang
Old 12-21-2018, 10:41 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

You need smaller diameter tubing if you can’t get down low enough to extract oil.

The Blackstone pump, or a Mitivac should work fine.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:17 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Then just change your oil filter and top off to desired level.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:46 AM
dkraige
Pro

Thanks. I have been taking the samples when I change the oil. However, I read the LN Engineering piece on correct oil level for DE. I usually run at the full mark on the dipstick (still has one) but LN recommends running lower level and I was wondering how to accomplish that without dumping 10 quarts of practically new oil.

Last time I tried to put something down the fill tube it would not go far enough before it hit an obstruction.

Lang
If you just open the drain plug slowly you can let it drip at quite a regulated rate. I did this when the dealer changed my oil after some engine work and over-filled it. I'm sure they just blindly dumped in 10 quarts even though it doesn't take that much. If you take the drain plug loose until it's only got about 1-2 threads hanging on, it'll drip slowly. Put a cup under it and let it drip until you've removed as much oil as you want. You can literally remove one drop at a time by this method and get it exactly where you want it.

With that said, I kind of fundamentally disagree with the idea of running these low on the track. Everybody claims they starve for oil when driven hard, and yet we're *removing* oil? It doesn't add up. I run mine one mark below the top on the electronic gauge, since it's known that over-filling, or being right at the top, can be bad for the AOS.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:04 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,638 Posts

I was also reading that recent LN Tech piece and thinking the same thing about running it "one bar above minimum fill level which allows for expansion of engine oil once it reaches operating etmp for vehicles operated both on the street or track." I personally would prefer it closer to the middle of the dipstick/marks rather than 1 bar above min. But either way, my recent oil change has left mine at FULL after sitting over night. So I wouldn't mind taking that down a tad. I know these engines do not like to run over full.

I have a vacuum can that I used to use for my Mercedes (their preferred "white glove" method) so I guess I could just use that.

Can someone confirm that you use the dipstick tube (and not the fill tube) and will this work on my 1999?

Oh, and if you loosen the drain plug, aren't you technically then reusing the crush washer which could cause a leak?
Old 12-28-2018, 03:28 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Oh, and if you loosen the drain plug, aren't you technically then reusing the crush washer which could cause a leak?
Key word being "technically". Chances of a leak are nil if you torque the plug correctly. You can re-use those gaskets over and over without problem. Yes, best practice dictates replacing it every time, but in a pinch I've reused both copper and aluminum ones on many cars without leaking a drop.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:47 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
If you just open the drain plug slowly you can let it drip at quite a regulated rate. I did this when the dealer changed my oil after some engine work and over-filled it. I'm sure they just blindly dumped in 10 quarts even though it doesn't take that much. If you take the drain plug loose until it's only got about 1-2 threads hanging on, it'll drip slowly. Put a cup under it and let it drip until you've removed as much oil as you want. You can literally remove one drop at a time by this method and get it exactly where you want it.

With that said, I kind of fundamentally disagree with the idea of running these low on the track. Everybody claims they starve for oil when driven hard, and yet we're *removing* oil? It doesn't add up. I run mine one mark below the top on the electronic gauge, since it's known that over-filling, or being right at the top, can be bad for the AOS.
I think that method of getting a test sample would risk contamination of the sample due to the oil seeping over the dirty oil plug....
Old 12-28-2018, 05:09 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by islaTurbine

I think that method of getting a test sample would risk contamination of the sample due to the oil seeping over the dirty oil plug....
Correct. OP was interested in just lowering the oil level at this point, not necessarily taking a sample. For the best sample I'd take a mid-stream sample during a full-drain oil change.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:35 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Lang
I've drawn excess oil out through the dipstick tube. You need a fairly small diameter tubing, but it works fine. I used a large syringe with clear tubing.

Quick Reply: Removing Oil