Sponsored by:

New 996 owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:07 AM
merlot
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 47 Posts
Default New 996 owner with a few questions

Hi everyone, I fulfilled a lifelong dream and purchased a 2003 Carrera 2 in Guards Red (I'd like to thank the deer that totaled my motorcycle for this purchase). It has some cool options like sport seats, red seat belts, and the sport exhaust. Before delivery, I had the IMSB replaced along with the A/O separator. The mechanic told me the clutch was in near new condition (46,000+ miles on the car). I'm not sure if it was replaced or not so I opted to skip a replacement based on his advice. Unfortunately, the sport seats are a bit narrow for me. I'm going to try and get used to them, otherwise I may swap out for standard seats and keep the sport seats for autox and DE.

First question - the dealer said they fixed a rattle in the exhaust by having it welded in the "right place". I assume this means they welded the flaps open? It's loud and glorious, but I would love to be able to quiet it on startup when I leave early in the morning. As such, the button on the dash does nothing. Is this something I can have brought back to original? If not, is there aftermarket brands that work with the dash button?

Next, my interval wiper does not work - the wipers stay on constantly. I assume maybe it's the round dial that may not be working correctly?

How can I check that the rear spoiler works? I only had it over 70mph on the highway briefly at night and could not tell by looking in the rearview.

Finally, thanks to this forum I purchased the iSimple TranzIt BLU to add to the Bose CDR23 system, so I'll be visiting a few threads this winter as I work out how to install it. I'm happy with the stock sound, so this seems like the most cost effective solution to get hands free and streaming music.

Anyway, here's "Reddy" (thanks to my 6 year old daughter who named it - I think she loves it more than me!)

Last edited by merlot; 12-20-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:29 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Spoiler Alert! Look in the driver's side foot well. This switch allows you to manually raise and lower the spoiler.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:30 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

It sounds like they welded the sport exhaust system in the open position. Maybe they can show you (or you can look for a weld spot) to see what they did.
The wipers, stalk in up position is regular wipe, next up is fast wiping. Down one position is where the interval wiping occurs, and the dash dial determines the speed.
Look at the fuse panel next to your left leg...there is a flat manual button for the spoiler. Push it and the spoiler will go up.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:24 AM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Just wanted to say congratulations!
What a nice unit with "sporty" touch (Seats, belts, exhaust).
Regarding the wipers, try changing the rele
Enjoy!
Old 12-20-2018, 10:33 AM
merlot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Spoiler Alert! Look in the driver's side foot well. This switch allows you to manually raise and lower the spoiler.

Ah, thanks!

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
It sounds like they welded the sport exhaust system in the open position. Maybe they can show you (or you can look for a weld spot) to see what they did.
The wipers, stalk in up position is regular wipe, next up is fast wiping. Down one position is where the interval wiping occurs, and the dash dial determines the speed.
I'll shoot a quick email to the dealer (great guy, retired pro racer) about the exhaust. I did have the wiper stalk in the correct position - 1 down from off. turning the delay dial does nothing.

Originally Posted by parris
Just wanted to say congratulations!
What a nice unit with "sporty" touch (Seats, belts, exhaust).
Regarding the wipers, try changing the rele
Enjoy!
Thank you.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats - super sharp looking car!

As someone else said, make sure you're putting the wiper lever one click DOWN for the interval to work.

As for the spoiler - ignore the comments about that switch in the footwell (it will help you verify but isn't nearly as fun). I check mine each time I get on an on ramp. Once you hit 74mph it will come up. It goes back down around 38 I believe.

Without seeing your exhaust its hard to say what they welded. I would be surprised if they welded it open, as the sport exhaust is fairly uncommon and very expensive to completely replace. My guess is that the solenoid isn't closing the valve for one reason or another - but the rattle/weld was unrelated. You can do some visual inspection from under the car - or go back and ask them for specifics.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:37 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92

As for the spoiler - ignore the comments about that switch in the footwell (it will help you verify but isn't nearly as fun). I check mine each time I get on an on ramp. Once you hit 74mph it will come up. It goes back down around 38 I believe.
Why would you suggest that he ignores the comment about the switch in the footwell? It's a switch, there is nothing to ignore about that. Also how do you check yours when you get on a ramp? You can't see it from inside the car.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:00 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
Why would you suggest that he ignores the comment about the switch in the footwell? It's a switch, there is nothing to ignore about that. Also how do you check yours when you get on a ramp? You can't see it from inside the car.
On the C4S, it raises higher than the C2/C4, so you can actually see it. But that doesn't help the OP.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:27 PM
su8pack1
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats, car looks great.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:32 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 208 Posts

there is a intermittent relay for your wipers, had same problem on mine.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:35 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
Yep, thats what I meant with "rele". Usually they go bad and the intermittent doesnt work.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:46 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Nice car!
Too bad your sport seats are not in Savannah, I would have been first in line to offer swap.
-David
Old 12-20-2018, 01:52 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 383 Posts

Awesome car! I have a soft-spot in my heart for guards red Porsche's!

Everyone's already answered your technical questions, but the spoiler goes up at 75 and down at 37, it's in the owner's manual.

Don't forget, "DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:13 PM
merlot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Congrats - super sharp looking car!
Originally Posted by su8pack1
Congrats, car looks great.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
Originally Posted by parris
Yep, thats what I meant with "rele". Usually they go bad and the intermittent doesnt work.
Where do I find this relay?

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Nice car!
Too bad your sport seats are not in Savannah, I would have been first in line to offer swap.
-David
Thanks. I'm not going to get rid of them. I'm just going swap them in for autox events and track days. Or I might just have to loose weight as it will be cheaper, lol.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Awesome car! I have a soft-spot in my heart for guards red Porsche's!

Everyone's already answered your technical questions, but the spoiler goes up at 75 and down at 37, it's in the owner's manual.

Don't forget, "DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"!
Thanks! I'll make sure to approach redline at least once a week day to keep her throat clear
Old 12-20-2018, 02:45 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
But driving is a more fun way to test.
When I had an adjustable spoiler, I could see when it was in the up position during the day in the rear view mirror.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 12-21-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: New 996 owner with a few questions