Sponsored by:

New Battery and Refinished Tray

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:29 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts
Default New Battery and Refinished Tray

Last battery Die Hard lasted 5.5 years. Replaced with this Duralast Platinum AGM battery. Boy does it have some cold cranking amps. Spins the starter like I've never heard before. Got it from AutoZone for $203 including tax. It has a sticker on it that says "Made in Germany". Go figure. Had the battery tray sand blasted and refinished at a local metal shop. They did an awesome job. Replaced all tray hardware with stainless steel because one of the nuts was so corroded I had to remove it with vise grips. Just passing along some positive information.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:36 AM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get my battery tray cleaned up this winter.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:00 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I see that you don't have the tube connected (my Bosch battery donesnt have the otuput for the tube neither)

Have you guys ever seen a battery (aftermarket) with that connection?
Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

No vent tube connection on this battery, nor on the Die Hard battery. I don't know if it is because they were both newer type AGM batteries. The old style lead acid batteries needed to vent.
Maybe debatable but I did find this - AGM Batteries. A VRLA battery (valve-regulated lead–acid battery), more commonly known as a sealed battery or maintenance free battery, is a type of lead-acid rechargeable battery. Due to their construction, they do not require ventilation, can be mounted in any orientation, and do not require constant maintenance.

A long read but a lot of information - http://www.hendonpub.com/law_and_ord...ery_technology

Last edited by DBJoe996; 12-14-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:25 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

My Bosch AGM battery has a vent. It didn't come with a fitting or tube so I transferred them from the old battery. I guess it's sealed vs non-sealed, not necessarily battery type.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:36 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

IIRC Interstae batteries have the vent tube. My Interstate battery in my 2000 996 is six years old and still cranking strong. Interstate customer for life.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:24 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

I just replaced my battery with an Interstate AGM and must agree, I have never heard a 996 starter spin over so quickly.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by parris
I see that you don't have the tube connected (my Bosch battery donesnt have the otuput for the tube neither)

Have you guys ever seen a battery (aftermarket) with that connection?
Check your Bosch a little closer. There should be vent outlets (holes) on both sides with one side plugged. Connect your tube to the outlet on the positive terminal side. This was the setup on the Bosch AGM H7.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:55 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice looking tray
Old 12-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

AGM batteries under normal operation don’t vent. Only in very extreme circumstances. So you will find probably a vent line on them for when the battery gets placed in the interior. Anyway always good to connect the vent line. AGM batteries eliminate acid spilling in accidents because they are sealed. They can also be installed at odd angles.

An AGM battery does not like higher temperatures, so it needs to be located away from any possible heat source, less suitable for in-engine bay placement. So perfect alternative for the 911 with the battery located under the frunk.

The real advantage for our cars is that they are more resistent against deep cylce discharge then conventional flooded cell batteries, which results in longer longevity of the battery. They state up to 2-3 times.

AGM batteries have a lower internal resistance and can be charged at a much faster rate. This shouldn't cause a problem on the majority of vehicles as the wiring in the car is designed to handle the maximum rated output of the alternator.

I think it is certainly worth the extra $, even more when you do not drive the car that regularly or put the car away for winter hibernation. A trickle charger is always a good extra support to keep the battery charged at a good level.

Be aware you need a battery charger which is able to recharge AGM batteries. Especially when they are (almost) dead they need a different recharge cycle then a regular battery.

Last edited by Silk; 12-15-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Last battery Die Hard lasted 5.5 years. Replaced with this Duralast Platinum AGM battery. Boy does it have some cold cranking amps. Spins the starter like I've never heard before. Got it from AutoZone for $203 including tax. It has a sticker on it that says "Made in Germany". Go figure. Had the battery tray sand blasted and refinished at a local metal shop. They did an awesome job. Replaced all tray hardware with stainless steel because one of the nuts was so corroded I had to remove it with vise grips. Just passing along some positive information.

I must ask, are you sure that is the correct battery? I just replaced mine for an interstate AGM and it is a group H7 which is vented. Your picture shows you have an H6. Maybe that is why its not vented? Wrong battery?
Old 12-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
I must ask, are you sure that is the correct battery? I just replaced mine for an interstate AGM and it is a group H7 which is vented. Your picture shows you have an H6. Maybe that is why its not vented? Wrong battery?
That is definitely not the original size battery, which should have been a group 49 or an H7 AGM. You can see that it is about an inch or so shorter in the long dimension than the battery tray. Likely this will work OK, especially if the OP lives in a warmer climate. But the group 49 will provide more CCA and reserve power than this battery.

The battery tray refinish looks great!

Edit - just realized he is in Florida. The smaller battery should be fine.

Last edited by Battery Guy; 12-15-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added a correction.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:11 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Yes, I'm good with the H6 battery here in Florida. Was the same with the Die Hard that lasted for 5.5 years. In a much colder climate I would think about the larger H7 battery. The H6 uses the second bolt hole over in the tray. The Duralast H6 still comes in at a hefty 48 pounds. The battery tray definitely looked pretty beat up when I removed it. I tried to wire brush it and put a lick of paint on it but it really looked bad, so I turned it over to East Coast Custom Metal shop for a sand blast and coal black automotive paint. 2 hours and $30 for the refinish. They also were able to preserve the foam gasket underneath. I priced out a new replacement tray for $141 ($198 at AutoAtlanta), so I think I got a bargain deal and the shop did a perfect job.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:29 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

As you can see from the picture of the refurbished tray (great job by the way!) there are 4 mounting holes; however, not all 4 may be threaded. The H6, H7 and H8 all have the same width and height specs with the H7 and H8 each about 1.5 inches and 3 inches longer than the H6, respectively. The H7 is a perfect fit for a replacement and it uses the hold down hole that for sure will be threaded. Both the H6 and H8 will work too but you might need to modify the hold down holes. BTW, all batteries vent, some (AGM) less than others.

Quick Reply: New Battery and Refinished Tray