Sponsored by:

Alarm or Door problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:40 AM
snoopybee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm or Door problem?

Hi there, recently got a problem with my 2000 996 cab. Let me try to explain here and see if anyone could help.
  1. When I get off the car and try to arm the alarm system, I got a single beep (which indicates a door hasn't been closed properly).
  2. I checked all 2 doors, bonnets and trunk lid and all closed properly, retried a few times to ensure that as well.
  3. I discovered that if I try to pull the passenger side door handle, something acted weird. Normally once the alarm system has been armed, when one tries to pull the door handle, nothing should react. However in my case, when I tried to pull the passenger side handle, the window slightly slide open just as if I want to open the door (in unlock mode). BUT, the door has been locked because I armed the alarm system. The most irritating part is that the alarm sets off.
  4. This only happens with the passenger side door only, driver side door still behaves normal.
I asked my garage and they haven't came across this before. Does anyone of you experienced this, or have any clues?

Million thanks.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:15 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

One beep indicates an open zone...somewhere. The alarm systems checks: both doors, frunk lid, engine lid, center console and fuel filler door (I think glove box too if you have one). If you have narrowed it down to the passenger door, then one of the microswitches on the door latch system is wonky. You may have to pull the passenger side door card to access the door latching mechanism. It is not uncommon for one of the microswitches to go bad resulting in the symptoms you have noticed.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
One beep indicates an open zone...somewhere. The alarm systems checks: both doors, frunk lid, engine lid, center console and fuel filler door (I think glove box too if you have one). If you have narrowed it down to the passenger door, then one of the microswitches on the door latch system is wonky. You may have to pull the passenger side door card to access the door latching mechanism. It is not uncommon for one of the microswitches to go bad resulting in the symptoms you have noticed.
It would be nice, since our cars have such sophisticated security systems, that when there is an open circuit it would tell you what it is. Our cars do tell us if the lights are left on or if the key is left in the ignition, but why can't it tell us why it's giving us a single honk? Why WHy why!!!!!???
Old 12-13-2018, 10:00 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Actually it does, but you have to use Durametric or Porsche PIWIS to read the specific alarm codes. A simple OBDII reader won't work. After exhausting all simple methods to figure it out, sometimes it is best to have the alarm codes read and take it from there.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:06 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Are the door pockets (storage) monitored to?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:12 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Actually it does, but you have to use Durametric or Porsche PIWIS to read the specific alarm codes. A simple OBDII reader won't work. After exhausting all simple methods to figure it out, sometimes it is best to have the alarm codes read and take it from there.
Can you imagine the scene? You're taking your beautiful wife out to dinner. You arrive at the restaurant, open the door and help your wife out, and turn to lock the car. It honks once. Your wife continues to walk to the restaurant but turns to see you pulling out a laptop and sitting it gently on the roof of the car. She asks, "Honey, what are you doing? We have reservations!" You reply, "Oh no worries, I'm just booting up my Durametric to see why the car is alerting that something is not secured. Open circuit, ya know. You go ahead and get us a table and order for me. I shouldn't be more than an hour or so." lol
Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 AM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

^^^^
Old 12-13-2018, 10:56 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Can you imagine the scene? You're taking your beautiful wife out to dinner. You arrive at the restaurant, open the door and help your wife out, and turn to lock the car. It honks once. Your wife continues to walk to the restaurant but turns to see you pulling out a laptop and sitting it gently on the roof of the car. She asks, "Honey, what are you doing? We have reservations!" You reply, "Oh no worries, I'm just booting up my Durametric to see why the car is alerting that something is not secured. Open circuit, ya know. You go ahead and get us a table and order for me. I shouldn't be more than an hour or so." lol
And your laptop's battery won't hold a charge so you pull out a 100' extension cord and search for the nearest outlet...
Old 12-13-2018, 11:08 AM
snoopybee
Intermediate

Thanks, will go towards the microswitch direction.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:23 AM
levita594
1st Gear

I have a 1999 C2 with a very similar issue. I've been trying to figure out what is causing it but I've only had the car for a few months and didn't know if it was a common issue so I don't really know where to start.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

There is also a circuit that connects to the stereo headunit chassis, too, I believe. I think this one is the source of my single honk issue.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:47 AM
snoopybee
Intermediate

Default Update

Haven't got much time to work on this. Finally I managed to take out the left passenger door panel (I'm a RHD) today, dunno where to start but I managed to put the panel nicely again. The problem goes away for a while. Then the problem recur.

I managed to figure out there were a few screws missing, especially the one behind the door handle. (But the screw at the driver is missing as well)

Then this is what I did:

1. Sit inside the car
2. Close all doors
3. Use my entire body force to push the door panel near the handle (marked in the picture)
4. Lock the door with the remote
# It works with no beep

5. I release my hand at the door panel, the beep came immediately.

Now, I'm curious how sensitive these switches could be and why all of a sudden this happens. And most important of all, I dunno what to do to fix this. Appreciate any suggestions.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:55 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Replace the door latch. It's mechanical as well as electrical, and it's 20 years old.

Quick Reply: Alarm or Door problem?