996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Carrera vs 4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 777 Posts

I have owned both: a '99 C2 and a '02 C4S. Overall, the C4S was my favorite car I've ever owned (I regret selling it to this day). It was the perfect mix of performance, exotic looks, and drivability for me.

With that said, the C2 was more fun to drive. It was lighter, had a more analogue feeling than the C4S (cable throttle, no traction control, factory LSD, RWD) and just felt different when throwing it into the curves.

So, drive both and see which one gets your jimmies ruffled.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:40 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

LOL on some of the comments of folks saying "if you want looks go for a C4s if you want performance go w/ a C2" or "the C2 is better on a track" -- let's not replace facts with opinion. While the C2 is fractions of a second faster to 60, the C4s (according to this Motorweek article comparing the two on the Nurburgring) is a full 4 seconds faster around the North loop. At the end of the day, both are very capable cars in most environments, and performance is roughly the same on dry pavement.

Sticking to my original statement, they do however drive quite differently, so the only way to know which is best for you is to spend some time behind the wheel of both.

As an aside, the linked article above is a good one if you wanna learn more about the 996 production range.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:12 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by e90steve
C4S is heavier than a C2 and has the same engine. Heavier with equal HP doesn't exactly say sportier to me. Now looks yep, she is a looker with those hips and bumpers. But sportier she is not.
Well... actually, as jllphan has mentioned, the 4S is faster on the track than the C2, and also in one so demanding like the Norsdschleife (not by far, though), so... a little bit of sportier also it is
Old 12-12-2018, 01:42 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by djlarz
Hello all,

New guy here trying to decide what the 4S brings to the table from an owners perspective. It looks sportier to my eye but I’m sure there is more to it than aesthetics. Thanks in advance!
If you're tracking I'd get a C2 since it's lighter, more direct driving feel, fewer moving parts to fail, cheaper brakes, cheaper tires, etc. etc. Just a simpler and more "pure" car, which are good things in a race car.

If you're driving on the street I'd get whichever one you like the looks of better.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:44 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The C4S "A version for those who don't know what their doing"
"It's fine if you like that sort of thing"

Perfectly describes the C4S. But everybody always likes what they have better. Fortunately I've had both and did not prefer the C4S. The C4S I'll just say... zzzzz boring. Sold it after a few months. Have had a C2 X51 for a year and it is awesome, plan on keeping it a long time. It's actually fun to drive vs the C4S.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:53 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

The 4 brings a big repair bill to the table when the front diff goes bad. Call the shops around you and ask if they even rebuild it and how much it will cost. For me it's not worth it.The less options a Porsche has, the better. I have a Subaru for the snowy days.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:38 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
The 4 brings a big repair bill to the table when the front diff goes bad.
You could always just remove it to convert to a C2 if it went bad and you didn't want to pay to fix it. I might be worried about subtle changes in handling then but if you're worried about potential future costs, that is one option.

IIRC, it's the same as the turbo so that would also be an issue for anyone looking at a 996 turbo.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:38 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I’m an a$$ man. The back end is sexy.

I had a C2. I have a C4S—both ‘04’s. I haven’t driven the 4 other than a brief test drive last week. I sent it to FL so I won’t be able to wring it out on IN SR58.

I didn’t track my C2 and won’t track this one. But, I don’t believe there will be any real difference around town. We’ll see. I know the C2 felt a little light in the front at 100 mph. (Empty interstate run...) I’ll make a dash across 75 in a couple weeks and see.

TC
Old 12-12-2018, 04:51 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AA717driver
We’ll see. I know the C2 felt a little light in the front at 100 mph. (Empty interstate run...) I’ll make a dash across 75 in a couple weeks and see.
FWIW, someone I know (not me obviously because I don't go over the speed limit) in a C4S did 115 on an empty interstate and felt as planted and as stable as a house. It felt as comfortable and effortless as a Honda Accord doing 60 and if I, I mean that person, didn't see headlights approaching in the distance I have no doubt I they would've gone up to the 130 mark.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:21 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Both the C2 and the C4S are amazing to drive and their full capabilities are beyond the skills of 99% of the people on this forum unless you're signed as a factory driver with Porsche Motorsport.

Pick the one that YOU enjoy driving and looking at the most. Because you will spend equal amounts of time doing both of these activities!

Personally, I chose the C4S for its looks and also because I preferred the heavier feel of the steering with the AWD. Also, the X51 engine is a blast.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:32 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Personally, I chose the C4S for its looks and also because I preferred the heavier feel of the steering with the AWD. Also, the X51 engine is a blast.
Wow, C4S with X51, that's gotta be one of the best variants I've ever seen! Sounds really special. But I don't need it, because .........as you wrote.......I'm definitely and comfortably in the 99%.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:58 PM
misterted
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I own a C4S and I love it. I've gotten it to more than double our local highway speed limit here in NJ and it is rock solid and amazing.
Would have loved to have one with the X51 package but that didn't work out.
Amazing car.
Can't beat the looks either.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:31 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Both the C2 and the C4S are amazing to drive and their full capabilities are beyond the skills of 99% of the people on this forum unless you're signed as a factory driver with Porsche Motorsport.

Pick the one that YOU enjoy driving and looking at the most. Because you will spend equal amounts of time doing both of these activities!

Wow, X51 engine too. That's great. I bought a regular C4S a few weeks ago. My main reason was I like the looks. Don't get me wrong, for the right price I might have bought a C2 or C4 but I got a good deal on a C4S so I pulled the trigger.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 PM
1stz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Still contemplating but it has cross my mind...

Originally Posted by djlarz
Thank you all for the quick and thorough replies! Keep them coming. Not sure its helping with my decision though as now I want one of each.

Maybe I can get one, let my wife drive it for a bit so she wants one too! She is definantly a "looks" kindof person so the 4S sounds like the better of the two in that regard.

Anyone have a 4S they are looking to sell?

Old 12-12-2018, 10:04 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Isn’t there just as much of a difference between a C2 and C4S as there is between an mk1 and mk2?

The later cars should be just as fast, if not a tad faster. That’s typical Porsche behavior for you. Same with adding AWD. They did it for performance just as much as they did it for convenience and marketing. That’s why you can eek out a tad more performance around the ‘ring. The C2, though is just about identical and a talented driver can make it just as fast.

Either one is fine. The early 99 and 00 C2 cars have dual row IMS bearings, are light, simple, no glovebox, mechanical throttle linkage, mechanical truck and hood latches, no cup holders, and Variocam. The late C4S cars are widebody and look much better in my opinion, and have Variocam Plus. The torque curves are noticeable on the later cars - they feel stronger. The early cars have a smoother power delivery and slightly higher redline, which is needed to match the lower power compared to the mk2.

I would drive both and judge the car on its its own merit - how nice is that particular example, what is the color combination, how clean is it, how does it feel to drive, condition of the mechanicals, maintenance records, etc. When it comes to address the handling differences, make no mistake, most of that comes from the alignment and tires. My C2 is so planted you can’t break it loose no matter what you do. Some C4S are loose. It all depends on the setup, which varies car to car for the exact same car, just as much as AWD vs RWD would.

Good luck - they are great handling cars no matter which version you end up with.

Quick Reply: 996 Carrera vs 4S