996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tire Rack and Poor Quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Teekster
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Just get them powder coated and call it a day. I have had similar results with all cheap aftermarket wheels in our climate. You get what you pay for. I have had my wife’s aftermarket Land Rover wheels done locally for $100/ wheel.

BTW, I plastidipped the OEM winter wheels for my 911and they have held up great for 3 seasons.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:09 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Teekster
Just get them powder coated and call it a day.
But why pay $125 to powder coat a $197 wheel? I'd say/vote for Plasti Dip.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow...Steel wheels! Didn't know they still make them. Do you need to put tubes in those things?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Teekster
Just get them powder coated and call it a day. I have had similar results with all cheap aftermarket wheels in our climate. You get what you pay for. I have had my wife’s aftermarket Land Rover wheels done locally for $100/ wheel.

BTW, I plastidipped the OEM winter wheels for my 911and they have held up great for 3 seasons.
Yes, I will be stripping and refinishing them in the spring when they come off. I've thought about the Plastidip route as well since that could be fun.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:39 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
Yes, I will be stripping and refinishing them in the spring when they come off. I've thought about the Plastidip route as well since that could be fun.
I vote for PlastiDip. That stuff is amazing! I just plastidipped my center caps and lugs. Beautiful finish I'm telling ya. I was so excited the way it looked I wanted to PlastiDip my wife. She didn't agree.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:42 AM
thurstonpowers3
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro

Simple. You offer a solution that shows you're willing to stand behind the products you sell. Options like covering the labor to have the wheels stripped and refinished for example. That's what keeps customers, not giving them a too bad, tough luck response.
Honestly as someone in the service industry you don't come across as a customer worth keeping. You bought a cheap product and expected it to last forever. Ask any track guy and they consider wheels an annual wear item, many of them at $500+ per wheel. Things wear out, especially when you abuse them. Had they come damaged that would be a different story and I've had Tire Rack step up every time they have had something be damaged either by them or in shipping.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:28 PM
dereifelfahrer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEk

Lets pillory him, to the stocks you "Knave" C'mon guys loosen up it's the season to be jolly. Frolich Wienachten bis alle.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:31 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry Astro, I have been AWOL a few days because this is our busiest time of year...........

1. Those are not steel wheels. That is an alloy wheel. See the JWL cast into the wheel in the 4th picture? That's a Japanese cast wheel test rating.

2. I have not heard word one from you in regards to this order before reading this.

3. I'm sorry that we have not lived up to your expectations on the finish. Minnesota winters are about as bad as you get on wheels. I want a stab at making it right the best I can. PM me your order number please and I will look into.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Old 12-15-2018, 03:12 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Boom.

Also, what brand are the wheels, Astro?
Old 12-15-2018, 04:36 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Sorry Astro, I have been AWOL a few days because this is our busiest time of year...........

1. Those are not steel wheels. That is an alloy wheel. See the JWL cast into the wheel in the 4th picture? That's a Japanese cast wheel test rating.

2. I have not heard word one from you in regards to this order before reading this.

3. I'm sorry that we have not lived up to your expectations on the finish. Minnesota winters are about as bad as you get on wheels. I want a stab at making it right the best I can. PM me your order number please and I will look into.
Hi Damon,
Thank you for your response, I've emailed you at your Tire Rack email address.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:46 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I said in an earlier post I had just ordered from Tire Rack and the wheels/tires were received this week. I busted them open and then headed to GTechniq for some C5 Wheel Armor since they are 5 minutes from the house and their coatings are great. Set the wheels up on the kitchen island to wash them and to visually inspect them when I find that one wheel has a nick in it.

Call Tire Rack. Speak to CS. Very nice and very direct representative. Send photo. She confirms no wheels in-stock. Offers a couple of other solutions. Emails me same day with an ETA for a new wheel and tire. Confirm the order, packing material ships for the nicked wheel and order confirmation is emailed for the new wheel.

Start to finish in less than 24 hours and follow-up on a Saturday. Once again - zero complaints with how Tire Rack does Customer Service.

Edit - grammar
Old 12-15-2018, 07:27 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com

Wow, I come back to Rennlist to check up on some old threads and noticed that Tire Rack has responded in a professional fashion. This is really good news and reassuring. I would encourage Damon to closely listen to Astro's criticism. I'm hoping that it will be constructive. I worked many years in retail and I learned more from the so called "negative comments" than anything that trickled down from corporate. For every one person that takes the time to share constructive criticism, there is at least 9 others that didn't take the time and moved on to other stores. Those 9 people may never return; therefore, I always tried to show value to people that complain. I never brushed them off. Some you'll never help, but if they had legitimate complaints, then they should always be taken seriously.

Another reason, I came back to this thread is because I'm in need of some new tires. I was going to order them from other companies, but now, I'm going to buy them from Tire Rack. At least this thread has won over one customer.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Folks!

Last edited by NuttyProfessor; 12-30-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:37 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Wow, I come back to Rennlist to check up on some old threads and noticed that Tire Rack has responded in a professional fashion. This is really good news and reassuring. I would encourage Damon to closely listen to Astro's criticism. I'm hoping that it will be constructive. I worked many years in retail and I learned more from the so called "negative comments" than anything that trickled down from corporate. For every one person that takes the time to share constructive criticism, there is at least 9 others that didn't take the time and moved on to other stores. Those 9 people may never return; therefore, I always tried to show value to people that complain. I never brushed them off. Some you'll never help, but if they had legitimate complaints, then they should always be taken seriously.

Another reason, I came back to this thread is because I'm in need of some new tires. I was going to order them from other companies, but now, I'm going to buy them from Tire Rack. At least this thread has one over one customer.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Folks!
Hell im more aggravated at Tirerack that this guy can come in with a "can I speak to your manager" haircut and whine about the crappy wheels he bought years ago and then get coddled by the retailer...
Old 12-15-2018, 07:58 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
Hell im more aggravated at Tirerack that this guy can come in with a "can I speak to your manager" haircut and whine about the crappy wheels he bought years ago and then get coddled by the retailer...
Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Irregardless if you think he is right or wrong, Astro is the customer and attempted to discuss the problem privately; yet, Tire Rack customer representatives ignored his multiple attempts (email, phone, etc.) to talk about the problem with a product they sell or at least help him with contacting the manufacturer. No where in this thread did I see him demanding new wheels. Had the fire been put out when it was small, I think things wouldn't have made it to Rennlist.

Quick Reply: Tire Rack and Poor Quality