Sponsored by:

Tire Rack and Poor Quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:21 AM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Hmmmm..........my Land Rover Discovery has some corrosion on the chassis from years on salty Cleveland roads. Wonder if I can get Land Rover do anything about it?
I know a guy who would take your case...

TC
Old 12-12-2018, 11:49 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
My big takeaway from this and many other rust and salt problem posts is to live way down here where it (almost) never snows.
I love our 50 - 60° winters.
I run summer tires year round!
Ha! Finally someone brought some wisdom to the 996 community. I would argue that the 911 loves the south a lot more than the cold north! Maybe I should be quiet cause this could inflame another civil war among the Porsche nation? North vs South... or... The borescored bunch vs. the oil staved chain breakers? hahaha
Old 12-12-2018, 12:37 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I'd like to know what wheels to stay away from.
TR has been good to me...
Old 12-12-2018, 02:50 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Tire rack has been great over the 20 years I've used them! Bought a set of winter tires and wheels from them once and the lug bolt holes were too narrow they sent me free lug nuts and a lug nut wrench. I thought I was getting oem or at least compatible wheels. They took care of me I had them in 2 days
Old 12-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow, this thread certainly has had broad range of responses, some very professional,others not worth reading, but I guess that is what happens on blogs.

My expectations are not unreasonable. Did I buy top of the line aluminum racing wheels ? Am I expecting to get my wheels replaced ? Of course not. I bought a set with winter tires(which have been great by the way) for the winter season. My issue has simply been all along with the poor service and poor response that TR provided. Poor response time, poor response are the issue here which is what prompted the post. TR could have simply responded in a timely manner that the product is out of warranty and that further issues should be taken up with the mfg of wheels and provided the contact info for the mfg. Done, simple as that and there would have never been a post.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
............... TR could have simply responded in a timely manner that the product is out of warranty and that further issues should be taken up with the mfg of wheels and provided the contact info for the mfg. Done, simple as that and there would have never been a post.
Is it fair to say that a reasonable person would've reached out to TR, and in the meantime reached out to the manufacturer as well? Finding out the manufacture's contact information isn't hard anymore. 5 minutes of searching max? It took you longer to write this post than it would've taken to find their contact information.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:39 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

If you had such a long standing relationship with Tire Rack, even to the point of referring them to family & friends, why wasn't your first point of contact your TR salesperson?

Please post pictures of these 996 winter duty wheels. Let's see the problem.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:01 PM
CYTH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Battery Guy
One additional data point here - bought a tire and wheel package from Tire Rack for my 2013 Mustang GT. Winter tires and "Sport Edition" alloy wheels. Used them three winters with lots of salt and they still look brand new (car is long gone but the winter tires are still in my garage...). Just ordered new tires for my 911 from them. Good company.
Daryll
I'll chime in on my experience with the Tire Rack. I've been using for years with tires for varied vehicles ranging from Triumph, Toyota MR2, BMW and of course Porsche. Also, two winter tire and wheelsets delivered mounted and shipped to my door ready to install. (2003 MINI and 2014 MINI Paceman Cooper ALL4) I've never had a problem nor issue with service or product in all instances. This includes the latter 2014 winter set for the Paceman (albeit alloy wheels that to this day is just fine! At this point with dealing with them on future orders (knock on wood) I'd expect at SOME point there may be a supplier issue or a customer service issue as who knows... Human error? Like a bad day or period (i.e company internal employee "drama"? It happens) and that may have been JUST the time the less than savory experience occurred.

I'd say take multiple experiences dealing with them in the future before a definitive thumbs down. But if one experience or two has been had well I'd go by general consensus.

It appears most if not all are positive.

That said sorry for OP's less than stellar wheel experience...;(
Old 12-13-2018, 11:19 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

This seems more like an false entitlement problem with you than it does a quality problem with tirerack to be honest.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

You also drove those $197.00 & 17" wheels through a Minnesota tunnel car wash too, right? When can you post pictures of the damage?
Old 12-13-2018, 11:51 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

not taking sides in this one, but I also have had good experiences at TR. Others could have different opinions and I respect that.
Out of curiosity I looked on the website, I didn't see any steel wheel options for the 996. Maybe those wheels are no longer offered, or maybe it was for a different car ??
Old 12-13-2018, 12:28 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Why would TR even respond to a complaint 3 years later... unrealistic expectation in my opinion.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:34 PM
Astro
Pro

Pictures below. Just started 3rd season.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:39 PM
Astro
Pro

Old 12-13-2018, 01:02 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

As a person who has been involved in sales and customer service in both retail and highly technical B2B for 30 yrs....your expectations are way out of line. TR is simply NOT going to take any responsibility for, or interest in, a warranty claim on a 3yr old purchase (I laugh out loud when I get one of THOSE emails). If they did this, they would need to start charging more for their goods and services...they are a DISCOUNT dealer. Not even Nordstrom would guarantee that they'd take them back (though Lands End might)….but at stores like this you pay a premium for the product. Your claim is and only should have been with the MFR.

Quick Reply: Tire Rack and Poor Quality