Sponsored by:

Tire Rack and Poor Quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
What should TireRack have done, in your opinion, then?
Simple. You offer a solution that shows you're willing to stand behind the products you sell. Options like covering the labor to have the wheels stripped and refinished for example. That's what keeps customers, not giving them a too bad, tough luck response.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:57 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
Simple. You offer a solution that shows you're willing to stand behind the products you sell. Options like covering the labor to have the wheels stripped and refinished for example. That's what keeps customers, not giving them a too bad, tough luck response.
Does your company offer to have parts stripped and refinished for good/services two years out of warranty?
Old 12-11-2018, 09:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Does your company offer to have parts stripped and refinished for good/services two years out of warranty?

Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

I have used tire rack dozens of times for wheels and tires without issue. I would always recomend them.

with respect, the problem is we as customers expect companies to do more then they have too. Tire rack is only required to do what the warranty states. Nothing more and nothing less. If they tell you to pound sand - deal with it. If they gave you a free set of wheels - kudos to them.

truth is they are a huge company. They do their best to make as many people as they can happy. But they cant as a bussiness bend over for every complaint otherwise they would be out of business.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:40 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
We work with our customers in an effort to keep them. Each problem is different as is each solution, but the point is we don't just tell them to go pound sand.

I've said my peace, they've lost me as a customer and they certainly won't gain any customers from my recommendations(I usedto tell everyone how satisfied I was with them as well).
Old 12-11-2018, 09:55 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
We work with our customers in an effort to keep them. Each problem is different as is each solution, but the point is we don't just tell them to go pound sand.

I've said my peace, they've lost me as a customer and they certainly won't gain any customers from my recommendations(I usedto tell everyone how satisfied I was with them as well).
In other words, no.

Which wheel did you purchase? I'm curious because I looked up a winter wheel package for my GF's lexus and the "Preferred" default package lists each wheel at $116 ea. Even at double this price, these winter wheels are insanely cheap! Any stripping, and refinishing would could waaaay more than just buying a new wheel! If you're that bothered by it, buy a new wheel and move on with your life.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't know the details of what transpired between you and TR's customer service, but it might've been nice if they offered to speak to the manufacturer of your wheels to see if they can do anything. Other than that, I don't fault them.

My dad taught me not all customers are worth having. He would recommend the unreasonable customers to his competitors.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:38 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

It's unfortunate that they didn't respond to the first request. And I am sure frustrating to have to reach out multiple times for any response. I align to this. It hasn't been my experience with them, but if I did experience that, I would also be frustrated.

Tire Rack is not a manufacturer though. They do not warrant the product. They sell a product with a manufacturers warranty. Even with the questions to OP about what they do in their own business aren't the same. I assume OP warrants their work because they actually do the work.

If I buy a TV through Amazon and I get beyond the return window, I go to the manufacturer for support.

The wheels were purchased at the agreed upon price. The wheels were provided. And the wheels were used for 3 years. Seems like Tire Rack fulfilled their obligations. Any additional concerns should be made to the manufacturer to see how they treat you.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:59 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

7 Canadian winters on my tire rack rims
Old 12-12-2018, 12:16 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
I don't know the details of what transpired between you and TR's customer service, but it might've been nice if they offered to speak to the manufacturer of your wheels to see if they can do anything. Other than that, I don't fault them.

My dad taught me not all customers are worth having. He would recommend the unreasonable customers to his competitors.
im in the restaurant business... when a customer eats half their steak and tells me they didnt like it (and they want it taken off their tab), i tell them they’re paying or im calling the cops...

”something for nothing... call Domino’s”
Old 12-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Jnelso
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Plus one for tire rack. Been using them for years and always a good experience.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:43 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Hmmmm..........my Land Rover Discovery has some corrosion on the chassis from years on salty Cleveland roads. Wonder if I can get Land Rover do anything about it?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:03 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Astro, I'm very empathic to you. In today's world, it's always point the finger. I could give you many examples where companies would rather keep stalling a customer and blaming the other instead of owning up to the problem.

"Sorry sir, it's not out fault, our computers are made with state-of-the-art technology. It's more than likely bad code or a bug in the app, contact the software company", replies the hardware manufacturer.

"Umm, sir, our software is tested to run on multiple 64 bit platforms, the manufacturers are probably producing computers with obsolete 16 & 32 bit hardware... you'll have to take it up with the retailer... they shouldn't be selling this crap!", exclaims, the software company.

"Hi, sir, sorry for the three hour wait, but we looked at your case and unfortunately that computer you bought from us has exceeded our 30 day return or exchange period; therefore, you'll need to talk with the computer and software companies to handle your issue. I wish you all the best, sir and thank you for shopping at Everglades.com" replies, the customer service representative.

Astro, I've experienced this kind of thing many times with products that you'd expect to last a reasonable amount of time before they crap out. Think about it, most of the 20 year old BBS and Borbet wheels that Porsche puts on their cars are still running strong and looking great too. However, we must manage our expectations. We can't expect the same quality out of cheapo wheels from Tire Rack to be on the same level as a BBS/Borbet. I don't know what brand of wheels you bought, but I do know that Tire Rack sells high-end and very low quality economical models.

My best advice is NOT to shoot the messenger, but instead, try to contact the people who make the wheels and see if they'll do anything for you. If you're hoping for a freebie, I wouldn't hold your breath given the fact that you've been using them for 3 years. Maybe they'll repair them for a reduced fee? I have a nice pair of Costa sunglasses. They are my favorite. I use them when fishing, driving my car, work, etc. I've cracked the lenses twice. These glasses are sold with a "lifetime limited warranty", but I don't expect them to replace or repair them out of neglect, but the first time I cracked a lens, they fell onto soft vinyl flooring. When I shipped them to Costa, at first they were going to charge me their normal repair rate of $75.00. I called to explain the circumstances and customer rep had the technician closely examine the damage. They later wrote back and said that they determined it was definitely a manufacturing defect and repaired them for free. The second time, I dropped them on cement and cracked them again. I didn't expect a freebie and it was clearly my mistake. $75 and my glasses are like new again. Catch more flies with honey than with vinegar!

If they don't support their product in a reasonable, fair fashion, then post back the name of manufacturer and that will help lots of people to avoid the same issue. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Astro, what exactly is your business? What do you supply as a warranty? You want us to compare your business to theirs as if its apples and apples. Lets say you are in the auto body industry, maybe your paint supplier offers a 10yr, or lifetime warranty so if there is an issue the paint manufacturer pays you for your time to repaint something due to their faulty product. In an instance like that you have the luxury to stand behind your warranty longer because someone else is picking up the tab. Not saying this is the case but we have no idea what you do and how you can back it?I do agree customer service is important but from experience of running my own company there are just some customers you can not please. You know the type I am sure. Ask yourself are you being one of those customers? I feel like you are barking up the wrong tree, your gripe should be with the manufacturer, not Tire Rack.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:13 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

My big takeaway from this and many other rust and salt problem posts is to live way down here where it (almost) never snows.
I love our 50 - 60° winters.
I run summer tires year round!

Quick Reply: Tire Rack and Poor Quality