Bought a 996 Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 6L6
Congrats! They are a barrel of fun!

If I had changed my cam chain at 72,000 miles, I'd still be driving my '02 cab. I'd add that to your "to do"list for sure.
Ouch! Did not realize that was a wear item, or at least not at that low mileage. Did you have any warning before it broke?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:28 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Battery Guy
Ouch! Did not realize that was a wear item, or at least not at that low mileage. Did you have any warning before it broke?
I don't think it is a maintenance interval wear item. After reading this I got worried and did a quick search and found this as reference: https://pictures.dealer.com/porscheo...4bfcf1cb92.pdf
Old 12-13-2018, 10:42 AM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
I don't think it is a maintenance interval wear item. After reading this I got worried and did a quick search and found this as reference: https://pictures.dealer.com/porscheo...4bfcf1cb92.pdf
Thanks! Great reference!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:22 PM
6L6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No warning whatsoever. Was cruising at about 25mph downtown, top down, second gear loafing when the most god-awful metal-against-metal sound I've ever heard erupted from the back.

I shut it down and had it trailered to my tech. The engine grenaded when the chain broke and the engine was toast. Nothing but chunks of metal in the pan.

Sold it to my techie for $4500 as a roller.

The car was in my family since new and perfectly maintained all its life. No warning, just utter and complete destruction.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Which LN bearing are you going for? "The Solution" or just the standard retrofit kit (needs to be replaced again in the future)?
Old 12-14-2018, 05:32 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

PICS!!! This thread is worthless without pics!!!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by MadIrish
Which LN bearing are you going for? "The Solution" or just the standard retrofit kit (needs to be replaced again in the future)?
Just doing the standard replacement LN kit. “The Solution” would be nice but realistically it will be a long time before I put another 75,000 miles on this car, so will just replace the bearing when I do a clutch again.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
PICS!!! This thread is worthless without pics!!!
Yes I know! I’m being a poor new member of this group but will correct that. Been on a week-long business trip to told the shop they could take their time on the RMS, clutch and IMS bearing. Should be picking it up this coming Friday and will post pictures! Not sure if i can get the seat fixed by then or not but all the other (minor) cosmetics should be good. Most are nothing a good wax and detail won’t fix.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:32 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Battery Guy
I was fortunate enough to find the remains of a chain roller when I dropped the sump cover for inspection soon after I purchased my 996. I sent it off to Flat6 Innovations to replace the chains and do some other work on it. Jake said I was very lucky that I decided to drop the sump to inspect. When they pulled them, *BOTH chains had a single roller missing. My Carrera had only 44,000 miles on it.

Jake said he's seen these fail at as low as 7000 miles. He attributes this to inferior manufacturing. He has better quality replacement chains that he can replace w/o an engine teardown.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:32 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by TechSavvySam
I was fortunate enough to find the remains of a chain roller when I dropped the sump cover for inspection soon after I purchased my 996. I sent it off to Flat6 Innovations to replace the chains and do some other work on it. Jake said I was very lucky that I decided to drop the sump to inspect. When they pulled them, *BOTH chains had a single roller missing. My Carrera had only 44,000 miles on it.

Jake said he's seen these fail at as low as 7000 miles. He attributes this to inferior manufacturing. He has better quality replacement chains that he can replace w/o an engine teardown.
Wow. That is some kind of lucky. Will definitely have my Indy look carefully for chunks of stuff in the sump (I think he would anyway).

Had a few minor items not show up, so may not have it ready by Friday. That means I may not be able to play with my new car until after Christmas. Since I have to drive it from Chicago area to Columbus this time of year I will have to watch the weather carefully.

Quick Reply: Bought a 996 Today