Sponsored by:

Tip is now in emergency mode...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 04:09 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Tip is now in emergency mode...

03 C2, 89K miles on it. Changed the filter/fluid on the transmission according to the instructions from the Porsche manual. We were careful to check the fluid level correctly, started the car, got the "Tiptronic in Emergency mode" on the dash. Durametric says "3-4 solenoid shift error". We double checked the fluid level three times, still get the error. You can reverse and 1st gear works, but won't shift either manually or in D.

My one confusion is the Porsche manual says to check it when it's 40C, but when you find Mercedes how-to's, it says 80C. We did check it to the Porsche manual, 40C.

Any ideas folks? If not, I get to have it towed somewhere...

Here's the setup we used:

Here's a pic of the oil coming out of the overflow:

Old 12-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Sounds like you knocked the connector loose on the 3-4 shift solenoid while changing the filter.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:58 PM
AMCPILOT
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 22 Posts

Just a question ... where is the 3-4 connector you mention? Have you actually seen this connector come loose when replacing the filter?
Old 12-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AMCPILOT
Just a question ... where is the 3-4 connector you mention? Have you actually seen this connector come loose when replacing the filter?
I have not seen this actually happen. But the valve body and connector plate, wiring and solenoids are directly above the filter. Also the Main connector for the transmission that gives a lot of problems is close by. The Main connector is usually supplied along with the connector plate due to being a reoccurring problem.
I would probably replace the connector plate and plug, or do some extensive electrical testing of circuitry, if you have the equipment, experience, time, and patience..

Last edited by Porschetech3; 12-08-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:00 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Sounds like you knocked the connector loose on the 3-4 shift solenoid while changing the filter.
I watched the video, it doesn't seem to show any electrical connectors that the filter could touch.

Do you have another pic that might help?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
I watched the video, it doesn't seem to show any electrical connectors that the filter could touch.

Do you have another pic that might help?
No, I don't have a picture that would help, actually when I said that, I was thinking more of my own Tip with the ZF 996.1 trans, it has the connectors much more EXPOSED. But yours has the MB 722.6 996.2 trans that while the connectors and wiring not exposed, the connector plate and connector are much more NOTORIOUS for having bad connections for nearly no reason other than poor design., I would replace the connector plate and connector.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:12 AM
Maslin
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from Mercedes land, I’ve never seen that code be a conductor plate. It certainly could be, but it could also be the valve itself, or the control unit.

Conductor plates are notorious for setting rpm sensor faults.

Also good to make sure the connector housing is fully seated (if you changed it) and the lock is spun fully around. Plenty of tow ins for no shifting that end up begin a trans that isn’t correctly plugged in.

There isn’t much you can knock loose when replacing the filter. Fluid level will not set electrical circuit faults.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:29 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:
Ohm'd out all the wires on the main connector for the transmission, all checked out fine.
Pulled the pan again, there were no wires that could have been pinched, or connectors jolted.
Going to have the car towed to the local Porsche dealer tomorrow, will keep you guys updated.
Here's a few more pics:

Old 12-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Maslin
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The solenoids and conductor plate are on top of the valve body. The round connector goes directly to the conductor plate, then out to the solenoids and attached speed sensors.

Not or sure where the transmission control unit is on a Porsche, there is a tendency for oil to wick up the harness thorough capillary action, filling the control unit with oil and causing goofy issues. Easy to check if you can find the control unit, one connector will be soaked and the whole module can be filled with ATF.

Hopefully just a bad solenoid. Although I haven’t replaced more than 2 or 3 in my nearly 13 years at Mercedes.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:58 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

I just don't see how removing the pan and filter should jar anything loose. I think the problem is some dirt was somewhere and lodged in the 3-4 shift solenoid.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:23 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:
Porsche dealer just called and said they have it fixed. They said the problem is that the transmission oil cooler lines on the top of the transmission are leaking fluid onto the harness. Fluid caused the short. They said that they cleaned it out well enough for it to work fine, but that someday I would need to pull the engine and fix the leaks.

I think this has something to do with how we pressure filled the transmission with the new fluid. I'll bet I won't have this problem again unless I fill the transmission with fluid.

What do you'all think?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
UPDATE:
Porsche dealer just called and said they have it fixed. They said the problem is that the transmission oil cooler lines on the top of the transmission are leaking fluid onto the harness. Fluid caused the short. They said that they cleaned it out well enough for it to work fine, but that someday I would need to pull the engine and fix the leaks.

I think this has something to do with how we pressure filled the transmission with the new fluid. I'll bet I won't have this problem again unless I fill the transmission with fluid.

What do you'all think?
I'm wondering if you had pumped too much fluid in before cranking the engine to fill the torque convertor resulting in a momentary overfill that ran out the overflow cap on top on the trans? You may not have a leak on the cooler lines but rather it was from the overflow cap....
Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I'm wondering if you had pumped too much fluid in before cranking the engine to fill the torque convertor resulting in a momentary overfill that ran out the overflow cap on top on the trans? You may not have a leak on the cooler lines but rather it was from the overflow cap....
That sounds plausible.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:13 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Great outcome. I hope they didn't charge you too much.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:49 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
Great outcome. I hope they didn't charge you too much.
Nope, under $300!

Quick Reply: Tip is now in emergency mode...