996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Scared of IMS and RMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 02:07 PM
cssource123
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also asking again, is anyone in the forums currently using a warranty that covers IMS and RMS failures in SoCal? I would pay the money to have a happy secure mind.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:51 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by cssource123
I do have the receipt of the LN bearing change but I don't know if it was the IMS Solution or the other types of LN bearings. I will give them a call and ask what the owner put in. It was put in in 2013 so I am not sure if they had the IMS Solution at the time. To keep it noted, I will change my oil every 3-4k miles?
If you have the braided hose going from the oil filter (canister filter) to under the transmission, then I suggest you have the Solution. If you don't have that, then, who knows. Solution looks like this:

Old 12-07-2018, 03:50 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Also asking again, is anyone in the forums currently using a warranty that covers IMS and RMS failures in SoCal? I would pay the money to have a happy secure mind.
The question would be, has anyone actually used a (non porsche) warranty to cover an IMS or other catastrophic engine failure. I tried doing research into it and found that nearly every single warranty company had denied claims with the explanation that some trivial maintenance was missed. It would be really easy for a company to take premiums and then, when you try to make a claim, deny it based on something you did, or didn't do, to your car over the last 15 years.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:26 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

IMHO - skip the warranty, save some money, have the LN Solution installed and drive, drive, drive. I don't know where you are on things, but I have a 99 C2 with 143K miles on my dual row bearing. Still going strong and no worries here. Change the oil and filter frequently and you will be okay.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:54 PM
cssource123
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
IMHO - skip the warranty, save some money, have the LN Solution installed and drive, drive, drive. I don't know where you are on things, but I have a 99 C2 with 143K miles on my dual row bearing. Still going strong and no worries here. Change the oil and filter frequently and you will be okay.
I suppose I should take it to a Porsche specialize shop and ask them to check if I have the LN solution fitted. If not might as well get it done instead some rip off warranty?
Old 12-07-2018, 05:27 PM
cssource123
Intermediate

Just an update. I called the Porsche shop and they said it’s not worth spending the money for an ims solution yet. They will get my oil changed and use a magnetic drain plug to see if there are any metal debris within the filter or what not. Then they will decide.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:55 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Did they tell you "when" it is time for an IMS solution (or any other IMS replacement option)? If they find ferrous metal debris in the filter or sump.....it may (likely) not pass the pre-inspection required for an IMS Solution install. Watch the prequal video above.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:11 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Just an update. I called the Porsche shop and they said it’s not worth spending the money for an ims solution yet. They will get my oil changed and use a magnetic drain plug to see if there are any metal debris within the filter or what not. Then they will decide.
Not trying to get ahead of this as I think your car is fine but, If metal is found, it's to late and won't pass the strict prequalification standards set by FSI.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:32 PM
cssource123
Intermediate

Well I have an appointment next Tuesday morning for an oil change and filter so that day will be the day. As for now, I will enjoy it as much as possible. According to the receipts from the previous owner, he maintained it like crazy and was in love with the car. He made sure everything was on top. Just a little paranoia.
Another off topic question. I currently have the turbo swirly rims on but the previous owner had a set of gt3 rims. Do they run on the same size tires? I was thinking of putting back the gt3 rims on as I like them more.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:34 PM
cssource123
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MadIrish
Did they tell you "when" it is time for an IMS solution (or any other IMS replacement option)? If they find ferrous metal debris in the filter or sump.....it may (likely) not pass the pre-inspection required for an IMS Solution install. Watch the prequal video above.
Do you think I should just tell them to go ahead with putting on the solution even if there is no metal debris found?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 PM
cssource123
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Not trying to get ahead of this as I think your car is fine but, If metal is found, it's to late and won't pass the strict prequalification standards set by FSI.
The shop just told me that they rarely see ims failures. I don’t know....it is true haha.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:40 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

The failure rate on these cars is less than 10%. A really smart person successful person once told me, “80% is always right.” So you have another 10% margin on top of that. Plus, your bearing was replaced, which gives you more margin still.

If your bearing fails, there is nothing you could have done about it anyway.

Your bearing will not fail, I would place a bet on it.

Change your oil, inspect your filter, warm up the car before flogging it, don’t leave it undriven for long periods of time. Don’t take 20 short trips in a row never getting it up to temp. Once warmed up fully (20 mins, or water temp past 180 for 5-7 mins), rev it out and all the way up on occasion, full throttle it’s good exercise. Pay attention to any changes in sound or power, check the dipstick, and you are good. I would not worry.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

My 99 had an LN bearing done, along with water pump, AOS, LT thermostat and a host of other preventative stuff done 20k miles ago. My plan is to drive the **** out of it on the weekends, carving canyons. If it goes boom, I’m calling FSI. Otherwise I’m not gonna lay awake at night worrying. Don’t know if that’s of any use to you, but they’re just cars. Why stress about it? If it breaks, fix it. 😁
Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 PM
cssource123
Intermediate

This forum has been the most supportive and most informative forum ever. You guys are so nice and uplifting, I am more at ease now. Thank you guys so much and I will give an update on Tuesday once my mechanic checks the car out and has done the oil change.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 PM
cssource123
Intermediate

Also from what I see suggested, anything below a 3k rev line is dangerous? I live in LA, the traffic is going to be tough to rev above 3k even in 1st gear. Yikes. I'm going to avoid low revving as much as possible then I suppose??

Quick Reply: Scared of IMS and RMS