Sponsored by:

Pics of my 20 YO 996

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 06:34 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
I love how they charge $3,215 for leather seats, AND then charge $390 to make it supple
I wonder what type of seat fabric was shipped if you *didn't* order the leather at all.

I would love a set of cloth seats but I have never ever seen a set in a 996.

Car looks great. Someone is going to get a peach when you upgrade. Single owner 1999 in black. Geez Louise..
Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 PM
Maslin
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
I wonder what type of seat fabric was shipped if you *didn't* order the leather at all.

I would love a set of cloth seats but I have never ever seen a set in a 996.

Car looks great. Someone is going to get a peach when you upgrade. Single owner 1999 in black. Geez Louise..

Standard seats are leather in the center and "leather" on the sides I believe? Full leather is an option, supple leather is an option. Also comfort vs sport, rear cover in leather vs body color, etc etc etc.

From another thread:

Originally Posted by Thundertub
The were two basic types of seats for 996's in America (not including GT3, GT2, Turbo).

The standard "comfort" front seats came with leather faces and vinyl sides. Full leather was an option. Heating was an option. Manual forward/aft, up/down, and back tilt was standard. Power for same motions was optional. Power with three memory position buttons was also optional. When Lumbar Support first became available as an option, initally it had a manual hand pump, but later became power.

On ALL seats, the Porsche Crest embossed in the headrest was an OPTION.

The Sport seats came with leather faces, but could also be ordered in Full Leather. The Porsche Crest was an OPTION. Heated sport seats was an option. All Sport seats initially had manual forward and aft motion, and manual tilt. Power Sport Seats with memory was not available as a choice. However, later Sport Seats (still 996) had power tilt since the roller mechanism of the manual tilt was hard to adjust while sitting in the seat.

Comfort seat had an leather option if you prefered the wrinkled look for your seats. Not a choice in Sport Seats. Both Comfort and Sport seats had the choice for leather or Paint to Exterior Color for the back side of the seat.

Some years the Comfort Seats had gathered pockets on the lower back side of the seat for storage.

Early GT3's came standard with the Sport Seat (Porsche Crest was still an option). GT2's came standard with the "racing" seats, with the Sport Seats, or even Comfort Seats as an option. Turbo's came standard with the comfort seats, with the other two seats as an option.

Full Leather seats were a choice for both the Comfort and the Sport Seats. Deviated Stitching (colored thread) was a choice for both style seats but only in combination with the Full Leather option.

Porsche has since its beginning prided itself by having a multitude of seat choices and options for those seats, to accommodate all tastes and styles. Seating style and comfort is extremely personal and Porsche has gone to great lengths to meet the demand with a plethora of choices. After all, the seat is what connects you to the car.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:51 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Right - I see it now, the $3200 was for a full leather interior not just leather seats.

My first 996 had full leather interior and supple seats. The leather work on the dash etc was really nice.

I didn't really appreciate how nice that interior was until I bought my second 996 with the normal plastic dash and standard comfort seats. The dash is strictly functional and I don't love my "comfort" seats...it's been 9 years now and at 53 years old my back hurts if I trip too long. Not that I'm complaining per se. My 996 has been nothing but good to me.

Both of my cars were from 2002, surprised to hear that some comfort seats may have had vinyl side bolsters. For sure the standard comfort seats in my 2002 have leather bolsters. 260,000 kilometres and they are wearing a bit.

Quick Reply: Pics of my 20 YO 996