996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tracking 996 in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 03:39 AM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 184 Posts

Question for the OP: did you stay away from the dry line (in the braking zones and corners)?
The rubber laid down on the track there gets as slippery as ice once wet so best to literally drive around it.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:47 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
My first ever HPDE was at Watkins Glen, in Upstate New York.
The first three sessions were dry, then it started to rain, pretty steady.
My car is a 2003 996 C2 Coupe, no PSM.
I had some issues on the interstate with the car in a couple rain storms previously.
My instructor was great, he asked if I wanted to go out in the rain, I told him I didn't think I had the (skill) confidence to be on track.
He said it was up to me, that I should look at it like an opportunity, but he did not pressure.

I thought what the heck, decades of driving on icey roads in the northeast, I can do this.
There were only a handful of novice (green group) cars that went out.
What I learned that weekend about driving on a wet surface has made me a much better driver, street and track.

Since that day, 1/3 of my HPDE days have been in the rain.

It takes a lap or two to get the feel back each time, I much prefer a dry track, but I learned to speed up that microprocessor between my ears to feel in my seat and through the steering wheel what those tires are doing, at least try to.

This is a picture of WOT out of turn 11 coming on front straight at Watkins Glen in the rain with wipers swinging.

The car has no grannies, so awareness, caution and outstanding instructions have kept me safe and on the pavement , at speeds I never thought possible .
Not to hijack the thread, but why do you always have your windows rolled down on the track?

Old 12-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
I learned to speed up that microprocessor between my ears to feel in my seat and through the steering wheel what those tires are doing, at least try to...
I agree. I went to a DE where we had to delay for 30 mins because the track was too wet. When the first group went out - the advanced/experienced group - 20 of the 50 cars went off the track. When it was my turn, I was fine, mostly because I was running all season tires, lol. The hard part is to go slower, lol. Nobody really wants to go slower

But...One technique I find useful I apply to the street and track alike: I test the tires when the conditions change. I try to break the tires loose if there’s some snow or ice or rain that presents itself to me. Or when starting off driving for the first time I’m the morning. I start on the straight bit just braking and using the throttle to the point of traction limit. That’s your baseline. I always moves from day to day, condition to condition. Then I take a couple of turns.

On the track, in the dry or rain, the first few laps, I make sure there’s nobody around me, I take the wrong line on purpose to try to get the car to slip around. You can’t see the car sliding - I’m not drifting - but I can feel it. If you can control the car and slip around a first few corners, then you know your baseline, go back to the racing line, and drive normally minus your baseline. You can either ramp up to meet your new baseline, or you can subtract your normal (dry) baseline from the new one by slowing down. Whatever is easiest for you.

By doing this, you will be dancing between the line of traction and slip, which is the whole goal of tracking when dry anyway - no difference. The difference is that rain requires more concentration because of the 20 things we have to think about, now we have to watch for water depth at each point/section of the track.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:27 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Not to hijack the thread, but why do you always have your windows rolled down on the track?
PCA HPDE rule, you need to signal point by
Old 12-08-2018, 12:40 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Rain sessions are great fun. One time when running “high performance” all seasons helps!
Old 12-08-2018, 12:52 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anestheticg

Rain sessions are great fun. One time when running “high performance” all seasons helps!
Mine are “‘ultra’ high performance all seasons,” lol. My lap record is 3:01 at Autobahn Full Track, about 14 seconds behind the lap record there for a similar car (996). So I’m 92% as fast as the record. On one hand, this could calculate at 9/10ths. On the other hand, I could have been dead last if everyone was on real track tires vs mine.

I bet I could close the gap in the rain a bit though, that’s one advantage, although rain performance with tires varies greatly among the same tire, class, and brand.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:40 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rymerc
Mid Ohio is a special kind of slippery in the rain. Not a lot of fun, driving the rain-line and being all slow but at least the track is usually pretty clear.
2nd this. I've driven tons of wet tracks and Mid-Ohio is unlike any other. Normally I have great fun in the rain and don't really mind it, but Mid-Ohio is so unreasonably slippery that you just have to tiptoe around and drive a ridiculous line to avoid the normal racing line, which is covered in ultra-slick sealer and rubber build-up. Fun for a few laps to figure it out, but pretty laborious after a while.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:49 AM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

What track was this at? Based off the times you run I'm assuming Harris hill? If so I wouldn't sweat it that track wet is punishing if you don't know all the character.
Shawn
Old 12-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Mine are “‘ultra’ high performance all seasons,” lol. My lap record is 3:01 at Autobahn Full Track, about 14 seconds behind the lap record there for a similar car (996). So I’m 92% as fast as the record. On one hand, this could calculate at 9/10ths. On the other hand, I could have been dead last if everyone was on real track tires vs mine.

I bet I could close the gap in the rain a bit though, that’s one advantage, although rain performance with tires varies greatly among the same tire, class, and brand.
what AS tire are you running. I use the pilot sport AS 3+. Performs pretty great for an AS
Old 12-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anestheticg

what AS tire are you running. I use the pilot sport AS 3+. Performs pretty great for an AS
Same tire, AS3+. I agree, they are good. They might be the best AS tire ever made, considering tire tech has improved so much over the years. They are also pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for with these.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:32 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

I also take an extra set of wheels to the track with Pilot Sports on them as rain tires. They work pretty decent in the rain. I use NT-01's in the dry.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:52 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sveach756
What track was this at? Based off the times you run I'm assuming Harris hill? If so I wouldn't sweat it that track wet is punishing if you don't know all the character.
Shawn
Yes! Harris Hill, just joined.

You a member?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:02 AM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I was a bike member for two or three years so you get really familiar with the character lol. I'm currently out of the country but plan to do a dual membership when I get back. I just did a PCA day there in the turbo and it was fun but I really wanna get my 3.4 swap boxster out there.
Shawn

Quick Reply: Tracking 996 in the rain