996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Antenna Booster

Old 12-06-2018, 12:17 PM
charha01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Antenna Booster

I've been reading that the 996 cars have really poor radio reception, especially AM stations. Mine is in that group so I've seen that there are signal boosters on the cars that can possible go bad. I have an 03 C4S and was wondering if anyone has replaced the booster on this car and if so, are there any instructions on how to do this? I've read that there may be two of the boosters, but I've also read that there's just one. I've read that they are located behind the A pillar or B pillar, but can't seem to get a definitive answer on this. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-06-2018, 12:23 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

The antenna booster is on the right-side A-pillar Some recommend just cleaning the ground but that had no effect on mine. I think AM reception is a lost cause for these cars.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

I’m interested in the some solution. My FM reception is also not that great.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:01 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 382 Posts

Recommend you first check and make sure the booster is getting power. Over the years I've run into many a German car with no power to the booster, connect power, all works fine.
I've never actually seen one go bad...
Old 12-06-2018, 02:40 PM
charha01
Instructor

Originally Posted by wyovino
The antenna booster is on the right-side A-pillar Some recommend just cleaning the ground but that had no effect on mine. I think AM reception is a lost cause for these cars.
Great info! Is taking the A-pillar off pretty easy? I know there's an airbag back there so I don't want to cause an explosion by messing around in there.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:29 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

It's nowhere near the airbag. Just get some plastic auto trim removal tools. They have them at any auto parts store and at Harbor Freight. You have to remove or loosen the screws that hold the sunvisor in place. There is a little removable plastic piece that you pry out with a small screwdriver. Under that are two allen screws. Then you just carefully pry off the A-pillar cover using the plastic tools. My Car is a cabriolet so I'm not sure if the trim is the same on a coupe.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:29 AM
charha01
Instructor

Originally Posted by wyovino
It's nowhere near the airbag. Just get some plastic auto trim removal tools. They have them at any auto parts store and at Harbor Freight. You have to remove or loosen the screws that hold the sunvisor in place. There is a little removable plastic piece that you pry out with a small screwdriver. Under that are two allen screws. Then you just carefully pry off the A-pillar cover using the plastic tools. My Car is a cabriolet so I'm not sure if the trim is the same on a coupe.
Thanks for the info. I don't know why I thought there was an airbag in there. Must be on another of my cars.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:31 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts

The AM reception in my cars is really pathetic, so I opted to use iHeart Radio and plug-in Bluetooth receiver in order to listen to Jimmy Cefalo on my drive to the office. This topic reminds me of the great advice given to someone complaining about the audio quality in his 996, "if you're more concerned with a sound system than performance, buy a Camry"
Old 08-27-2019, 06:04 PM
Harley42
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I’m new. I too have a 2003 996 cabriolet, with radio fm woes, I’d like to find my booster and check it’s connection ,as many attempts at adding powered antenna boosters don’t work, so, which side of car is A pillar I need to get into to find the booster, Please help, and a few pics would help. I’m 78 and this is about all I need to fix to finish my repairs. Thanks. Harley42. Love my car. Waited many years.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:40 PM
Harley42
Rennlist Member

Ok, I got the A pillar cover off the right side, and by the feel and looks of things, no one has been in there. I don’t have the tools to test if the booster is good, maybe the tech at Best Buy that put in my Kenwood DNX575S, can check it tomorrow. Trying to get HD2&3channels to work without dropping out. This makes Seneca that there’s a booster there, we’ve been trying to add another powered booster and that doesn’t work. We’re puzzled as to how to get a stronger signal for the HD channels. Have you dealt with any of this? Thanks. Harley42
Old 08-27-2019, 06:50 PM
Harley42
Rennlist Member

Here’s my A pillar with antenna booster. I couldn’t see anything out of place. Looked like just from factory, unless booster has gone bad. I’ll check tomorrow
Old 08-28-2019, 10:40 AM
charha01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harley42

Here’s my A pillar with antenna booster. I couldn’t see anything out of place. Looked like just from factory, unless booster has gone bad. I’ll check tomorrow

Thanks for the pics!
Old 08-28-2019, 10:57 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by charha01
Thanks for the pics!
I've owned 5 Porsches, 3 of them had the power wire to the booster disconnected.

Check that out.
The following users liked this post:
charha01 (08-28-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Antenna Booster