Sponsored by:

Replaced clutch helper and got a bonus

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 08:44 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced clutch helper and got a bonus

I bought this C4S about a week and a half ago. What a joy to drive except the clutch pedal is a bit stiff. I test drove two other 996's. The clutches on those cars required much less pedal pressure. Following advice I found here, I pulled out the old helper spring and found that it was in two pieces. I bought a used spring from a Turbo - don't think it matters but the spring is green not blue. Anyway, what a difference. The pedal has a much nicer feel.

And the bonus - the cruise control now works. I guess the broken spring was keeping the plunger switch from closing completely.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:47 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I did the opposite- I removed my helper spring. You are correct in that the helper spring, in its last bit of travel, actually helps return the pedal fully out and depress the switch for the cruise control. I sometimes have issue with CC not working due to this switch plunger getting pushed too far in (you can just grab the plunger and pull it outwards towards the front of the car...it has a ratcheting, self-adjusting mechanism for getting the depth right.

My issue with the helper spring is that it doesn't provide linear help. What you'll find is that right as you reach the friction point, the amount of help the spring provides decreases rapidly, causing you to suddenly release the clutch pedal much quicker than desired. This, of course, leads to the clutch rapidly clamping down, causing a jerky moment, and/or choking the engine off.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:58 PM
shft22
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I also removed the spring. I was stalling the car at times and had no feel for the clutch. Much better with it off in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:35 AM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if you had a fatigued or broken spring. I have no problem using the clutch with or without the clutch helper but I prefer it with the helper spring. If you're happy without it that's great. One less part to break and replace.

Dave

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I did the opposite- I removed my helper spring. You are correct in that the helper spring, in its last bit of travel, actually helps return the pedal fully out and depress the switch for the cruise control. I sometimes have issue with CC not working due to this switch plunger getting pushed too far in (you can just grab the plunger and pull it outwards towards the front of the car...it has a ratcheting, self-adjusting mechanism for getting the depth right.

My issue with the helper spring is that it doesn't provide linear help. What you'll find is that right as you reach the friction point, the amount of help the spring provides decreases rapidly, causing you to suddenly release the clutch pedal much quicker than desired. This, of course, leads to the clutch rapidly clamping down, causing a jerky moment, and/or choking the engine off.

Quick Reply: Replaced clutch helper and got a bonus