Sponsored by:

Are automatics on a 996 any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:19 PM
crimony
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firecall
However... and this is a big thing - you dont get to really play with the revs. With the manual 6 speed box you might get to sit in 2nd gear close to where the power comes in hard around 4k - then floor it. Instant rush. With the tiptronic the ratios are such that I find it hard to hold it in the power band without it changing up.

You can of course use the steering wheel buttons, but I've never really got the hang of those - other Tip owners I've spoken to said they dont use them either.

Anyway - the Tiptronic is great, and get one if you know why you want it over a manual.
I think you're missing out a bit by leaving it in "D" all the time. I find driving spiritedly in the hills (yes, Adelaide Hills) much more fun in "M", you really only need 2nd and 3rd, drop to 2nd whilst braking before a corner, then blast through and back up to 3rd once you get to redline.

I leave my right thumb on the top of the button, rocking it up to shift up and down to, well, shift down, you don't need to move your thumb at all, just rock it in place. This is a RHD car.

I find in "D" mode it shifts up too aggressively for maximum fun, like it's trying to save fuel. Light throttle has it in 5th at 60km/h.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:42 AM
hauspwr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one comes up a lot.... I love manual transmission cars, but my 996 is a TIP. Love it, blast to drive, and completely enjoyable. Zero regrets. (My DD is a 6 speed manual transmission car)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:09 AM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
If I could, I would love to have a PDK in my 996 instead of a 6 speed.
And I have invested a lot, LWFW, Sachs Stage II sprung clutch disc and a Numeric shifter and cables.
Still would prefer a PDK
I find myself reaching for a paddle for a downshift all the time. But then I remember I have to rev match and do it myself, which isn’t the end of the world. This car’s manual is pretty good. This car with a dual clutch would be sublime. Sorry for the thread jack.

I would say say there is a significant performance difference between the Tiptronic and manual...to me when I’m driving one of these cars. Whether or not it is significant of a difference enough will only be answered once you’ve driven one with the Tip yourself. It’s just like driving a 996 with a torque converter automatic of that era. Some people might confuse you by saying it’s not that bad or that it shifts fast enough if you know how to drive it, etc. The Tiptronic, as robust and reliable as it may be, as far as its behavior is concerned, is nothing special at all amongst torque converter automatic transmissions.

edit* Think about it like this: if the Tiptronic provided the driving experience Porsche drivers are looking for, do you think they would’ve developed the PDK? I don’t think so.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:12 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Here's my Tip. No problem keeping up with manuals on track, and ultra reliable.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:21 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by hartmn
How do I know if I have a MK1 or MK2? My starts in second and still allows me to use the buttons in D. it’s a 2001 so which is it? A MK1 or MK2? What’s the year cut off MK1 and MK2?
I'm fairly certain that the transmissions changed along with the rest of the car, so if you have a 01 or older, it's a MK1 (996.1), 02 to 05, MK2 (996.2).
Old 12-06-2018, 08:22 PM
roguiethegiant
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love driving my '01 tip (daily driver) but you cant leave it in drive and need to use the automanual to get most out of it. Stick is fun until you get stuck in traffic or drive in the city. Tip is just as fun, feels as fast and is reliable.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 PM
crimony
Track Day

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
I'm fairly certain that the transmissions changed along with the rest of the car, so if you have a 01 or older, it's a MK1 (996.1), 02 to 05, MK2 (996.2).
Perhaps not. The later MB transmissions allowed the use of the tip buttons in "D" to temporarily gain manual control, as @hartmn indicates he is able to do, the earlier ZF unit did not (mine's a '98, so the buttons do nothing unless I'm in "M").
Old 12-06-2018, 09:24 PM
bangsters
Advanced

Buttons only on the wheel. You slot it over into M and then use the buttons.

EDIT: Apparently the box in the 996.2 will allow you to do that! Which is cool :-)

Interestingly it will normally pull away in second in Auto mode.
What do You mean box in 996.2 will let you do that? Shift from the gear lever?
Old 12-06-2018, 11:45 PM
hartmn
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Crimony,

You are correct and thank you catching on to my comment because my 04/2001 manufactured Porsche C4 does in fact allow the use of the buttons on the steering wheel to shift up and down while in drive. Being a new owner of the vehicle I haven’t figured it all out yet but the other I was driving it and was manipulating the gears via the buttons while in drive and trying figure out if I could shift it via the gear shift **** too. Thank you for your post as you are correct.

Eric
Old 12-07-2018, 01:14 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by bangsters
No, can't do that. . Have to use the steering wheel buttons. Project for next spring is to put the paddle shifters on, that should ma,e shifting more fun.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:59 PM
firecall
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bangsters
I meant you can shift with the buttons without moving to M.

On the first version you have to slot it over to M and then use the buttons :-)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:00 PM
firecall
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never managed to reliably make the thing work where you jab the throttle and it will hold the gear or something.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about LOL ?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I've never managed to reliably make the thing work where you jab the throttle and it will hold the gear or something.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about LOL ?
Yea, I know what your talking about. The 996.1 will if you full throttle it for a bit then hit the brakes hard it will hold the gear so you can exit the turn faster by staying the most aggressive map in the "D"mode. The 996.1 has only 5 TCU maps, the 996.2 has 250 TCU maps. I only use 1 map and that's the "M" map !!! lol

Quick Reply: Are automatics on a 996 any good?