Sponsored by:

Fog light and turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:34 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts
Default Fog light and turn signal issue

I’ve got a strange issue that makes me suspect my headlight switch might be the culprit. All lights function properly except when I turn on the fogs. When I do, the left turn signal illuminates steadily (no flashing) and will not turn off or flash normally with the turn signal stalk unless I turn the fogs off. Once the fogs are off, everything is a-ok.

Additionally, whenever the headlights are on a green light for the rear fog light illuminates on the headlight switch assembly. I’m not use eif this is normal and/or related.

Has as anyone else experienced something similar?
Old 12-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Haven't had any experience with this issue. But i don't know that i would suspect the headlight switch only because the turn signal circuit does not go through it. The running lights do, but not turn signals. My gut would lead me to start at the tail light or head light assembly. The wiring inside these housing are known to fall apart (insulation falls off of cooper wiring). Maybe a fog light wire is crossed with a turn signal in the housing. Just a thought.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:55 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Sounds like you are getting feedback power from a faulty ground. Go to the light that has the turn signal illuminating when the fog lights are on. Check for a clean and proper ground connection to the body.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:05 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Sounds like you are getting feedback power from a faulty ground. Go to the light that has the turn signal illuminating when the fog lights are on. Check for a clean and proper ground connection to the body.
Thanks. Before I dig in, any tips on how to locate the ground for each turn signal light on the drivers side?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

When you remove the tail light or headlamp assembly look for the solid brown wire. Solid brown wires on euro cars are almost always grounds.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:56 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
When you remove the tail light or headlamp assembly look for the solid brown wire. Solid brown wires on euro cars are almost always grounds.
The only nearby ground that I can seem to find around the passenger headlight is this one just inside of the frunk. I unbolted it, light sanded the connections, rubbed with DeOxit and then retightend. The issue still remains.

I also have a spare set of headlights that I installed and they exhibited the same behavior so I think that rules out any issues with the current headlight unit itself.

Thoughts?

Old 12-15-2018, 02:16 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Well as soon as I post that I fixed it.

The headlight male plug attached to the headlight tray was apparently loose. I slid down the yellow piece that secures it and then fully pushed the male connector against the mount and slid the yellow clip back up in place.

Last edited by islaTurbine; 12-15-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:05 PM
eshultz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your post. I had the same problem and never imagined that I would find someone who knew of this and the fix. In my case, the black plastic around the male connector was cracked allowing for a poor connection. I was able to use some J-B Weld to fix the black plastic and problem solved!
Old 01-11-2024, 01:48 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts
Angry

I had similar issues, where couple of Right light Bulb holder contacts the 12V housing. Contacts to wires w/ silver looking plated contacts will corroded and turn green.
Clean these if found w small stainless wire brush. replace housing. Caution, make sure it is locked in, if not don't run over it if it comes out under braking.

Last edited by Mike Mullins; 01-11-2024 at 01:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Fog light and turn signal issue