996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car is running very rich.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:42 PM
Alex Tirado
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s pouring here in San Jose and my car just wants to do donuts lol. Might have to take her out to Mexico in an hour or so, so she can get her fix.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:14 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Alex - popping in to say the car looks great, man. I'm glad you're having fun with it.

I wish I could help with your issue definitively. I would absolutely follow up on the injectors so long as your car isn't holding codes for MAF, O2, air intake stuff that could be throwing off fuel mix due to the ecu being confused. Your car had sat for some time... perhaps they really are just a little gummed up. I think you should pick up a bottle of that Joe Gibbs in the meantime, while you troubleshoot the issue, and see for the fun of it. It's pretty cheap.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:19 PM
Alex Tirado
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Alex - popping in to say the car looks great, man. I'm glad you're having fun with it.

I wish I could help with your issue definitively. I would absolutely follow up on the injectors so long as your car isn't holding codes for MAF, O2, air intake stuff that could be throwing off fuel mix due to the ecu being confused. Your car had sat for some time... perhaps they really are just a little gummed up. I think you should pick up a bottle of that Joe Gibbs in the meantime, while you troubleshoot the issue, and see for the fun of it. It's pretty cheap.
Just filled up and threw a bottle in the tank, car loved it. Between that and the Techron, injectors should be clean. When the rain clears up or probably sometime in the next week or so I’m gonna drop the engine a little bit and check them out. I think I found a vacuum leak earlier but I’m not too sure. I have to wait and see till tomorrow morning after the car sits overnight. Thanks for the compliment, she deserves it right now.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:26 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Maybe clean the throttle body and Idle Control Valve.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:59 PM
Alex Tirado
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltusler
Maybe clean the throttle body and Idle Control Valve.
throttle body is spotless, cleaned it about a month ago. My car doesn’t have an idle control valve? Or does it.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:04 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Hmmm. Few things...
  • Most automakers limit fuel trims. I find it hard to believe Porsche engineers would cap fuel trims at +/-99%.
  • If your vehicle is running rich due to a mechanical issue, your 02 sensors should cause ECM to adjust fuel trims to a negative number.
I wouldn't drive the vehicle, you'll damage your cats. I think your diagnostic hardware is suspect; what are you using?
Old 11-22-2018, 04:45 AM
Alex Tirado
Advanced

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Hmmm. Few things...
  • Most automakers limit fuel trims. I find it hard to believe Porsche engineers would cap fuel trims at +/-99%.
  • If your vehicle is running rich due to a mechanical issue, your 02 sensors should cause ECM to adjust fuel trims to a negative number.
I wouldn't drive the vehicle, you'll damage your cats. I think your diagnostic hardware is suspect; what are you using?
Some generic one. Need to find someone who has a durametric in my area. Haven’t had a chance to buy one.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:48 AM
Alex Tirado
Advanced

Hmmm. Few things...

Old 11-22-2018, 01:47 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Tirado

throttle body is spotless, cleaned it about a month ago. My car doesn’t have an idle control valve? Or does it.
If it has a throttle cable it does.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:59 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alex Tirado

That's the 02 sensor indicating 99.0% fuel is being burned. That's not fuel trim.

Look for STFT1, STFT2, LTFT1, LTFT2.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:40 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

That's the 02 sensor indicating 99.0% fuel is being burned. That's not fuel trim.

Look for STFT1, STFT2, LTFT1, LTFT2.
Hmmm...
Old 11-23-2018, 08:56 PM
Alex Tirado
Advanced

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Hmmm...
Thats embarrassing. My mistake I’m gonna read the codes again.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:16 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

If you're looking for a new ~$100 scanner, I would highly recommend Blue Driver.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Alex Tirado
Advanced

So yesterday. My car threw codes for the mass air flow sensor. And now it starts right up and doesn’t die when I start it. Getting car smoked next week to see if there’s a vacuum leak, but now I’m lost. When MAF wasn’t throwing codes it was stalling and now it’s not. Would that be causing all the problems?
Old 12-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Clean the MAF. You'll need a tamper-proof torx bit to remove it. There is a special MAF cleaning spray, but some use carb cleaner.

Quick Reply: Car is running very rich.