Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Please help, bought used and may have bitten off more than...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 09:00 PM
WonByOne
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
You asked the questions, why get "knocked off" when we are trying to figure out what you have going on. I gave you some sound advice, did you remove the belt to see if the noise was a fully or tensioner?
No not yet. After the oil change it was too late and had work in the morning. Wait, what do you mean "knocked off?" I was attempting to use humor, but I realize that can be difficult to write out. Please don't misinterpret me, I appreciate all the help/suggestions.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Got you, sounded as if you were getting upset about myself and another poster asking if you bought it sounding like this. I am really curious as to what the previous owner alleged the noise was?
Old 11-20-2018, 09:04 PM
WonByOne
Instructor

The reason I asked is because if you heard this noise you must have asked the PO, what did he say?
Ahh, I see. He said it has never been a problem. I also tracked down service records for the past 5 years and it's been kept up with service checks, IMS update and new tranny. Plus a bunch of other upgrades.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:07 PM
WonByOne
Instructor

Got you, sounded as if you were getting upset about myself and another poster asking if you bought it sounding like this. I am really curious as to what the previous owner alleged the noise was?
I may have been defensive. And dumb in the purchase... But I do love the car, but sometimes that can cast blinders over you too.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:32 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by WonByOne
Ahh, I see. He said it has never been a problem. I also tracked down service records for the past 5 years and it's been kept up with service checks, IMS update and new tranny. Plus a bunch of other upgrades.
New transmission, or new clutch? A whole new trans is not very common on these cars.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Did he say how long its been doing that? If its cylinder score it could function for years without an issue, but with that amount of smoke I would think you will be consuming a lot of oil. My concerns he got the last few good years out of it with the problem and now its towards the end. ( I hope not just my train of thought at this time) I seriously hope its nothing major.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:23 PM
WonByOne
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
New transmission, or new clutch? A whole new trans is not very common on these cars.
I don't see it on the service record but it was probably done at a different shop. I was told a rebuilt transmission, whatever that means...
Old 11-21-2018, 01:26 PM
WonByOne
Instructor

Did he say how long its been doing that? If its cylinder score it could function for years without an issue, but with that amount of smoke I would think you will be consuming a lot of oil. My concerns he got the last few good years out of it with the problem and now its towards the end. ( I hope not just my train of thought at this time) I seriously hope its nothing major.
No. And I spoke to the shop where the car has been serviced for the last several years and there is no note regarding any ticking sound. The vehicle was well maintained at the same shop for many years with inspections done a couple times per year.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

No. And I spoke to the shop where the car has been serviced for the last several years and there is no note regarding any ticking sound. The vehicle was well maintained at the same shop for many years with inspections done a couple times per year.
You didn’t, by chance, use wide open throttle during a test drive or after taking possession on the car when the engine was cold, did you?
Old 11-21-2018, 02:12 PM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

haven't watched the video and engine sounds on video can be exaggerated anyway.. but i'll throw in my $.02.. chain tensioners. My personal experience. There are 3, 2 easy to get to, and one...not.. up behind the PS pump. I bought all 3, have replaced 2 to date and noticed much improvement.

my experience is buying a VERY high mileage early 99 C2 back in February. only docs I had were the IMS, clutch and motor mounts, and a replaced SAI pump years before. Test drive was stellar and I was off. Next day I pulled the plugs and replaced them (easy for my car since it had no mufflers blocking..just FabSpeed bypass tips) changed the oil and checked the filter, replaced the water pump, tstat and 90% of the coolant hoses..and immediately took it on a 800 mile round trip to Werks Reunion in FL. Since then the tensioners, KONIs and built a few new exhausts. Put 12k on it so far and not holding back.

Best of luck.. just take a deep breath and dig in. Make a list. Feels good when you check things off.

YMMV.. I got lucky admittedly
Old 11-21-2018, 04:54 PM
bliq00
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To all the mechanics, I did not mean to imply anything shady by the shop. In fact, even after the quoted starting price I was still going to use them, but then I found a recommended mechanic on other part of town. But know this, while on my cars I do most of my own work, there is a mechanic down the road whom I have more respect for than anyone, trust him fully. I asked him to look at the Porsche but he said to try out this other guy where the car is now. Left it with him and he's going to go through it.

By the way, I changed the oil last night and today the CEL went off and stayed off the whole way to the Indy (~25 miles). Question, I've driven this car for over 700 miles now with zero issues other than a ticking sound. The thing is so incredibly fast and powerful. If the problem was scoring or head, shouldn't I notice something? Yet I don't notice anything--feels like a brand new engine, nice and tight. Anyway, the Indy who has it now when he saw the smoke he said that was normal to see when the temps drop this low. When I took the above video last night, the car was outside and it was about 8°F. I'll post again if he finds anything.
Dude it's up to you but if you've got that sound, and you might have piston slap or something worse, why are you checking out how powerful the car is. I'd be driving it gingerly AF until I knew what was going on. The last thing I want to hear is the mechanic tell me that because of high stress/high revs, something is worse than it would have been otherwise. Wait til it's all sorted, then you can confidently get a feel for the car without messing it up further.

I guess if you already need a rebuild or a new engine, messing up the current one further won't matter...
Old 11-21-2018, 05:23 PM
pcasanova
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bliq00
I guess if you already need a rebuild or a new engine, messing up the current one further won't matter...
Well, it could get worse and end up with a permanent oil drain. i.e. Rod thru case.

For now, enjoy the holidays and family, let the mechanic do their thing. Give them time with the car.

Just curious, but what city are you in?
Old 11-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

OP - what folks are trying to tell you is these engines tend to feel great - right up until the moment they don't. It is rare on these boards to see "car feels low on power", "car has sluggish throttle", "car isn't pulling as strongly as before" types of threads. Fairly common to see 'Engine quit out of nowhere", "Car died while driving," type of threads. These cars having a very narrow range of failure symptoms is part of what gives people the level of caution that you're seeing in this thread.

Answer to your question on bore scoring symptoms- yes you will see more symptoms the worse it gets. High oil consumption, smoke on startup, slapping sound from bottom end being the most prevalent, and you have two of those three. I would also encourage you to ask your mechanic to do a bore scope, it shouldn't cost too much money... in the grand scheme of things.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:47 PM
pcasanova
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
OP - what folks are trying to tell you is these engines tend to feel great - right up until the moment they don't.
Could have not said it better.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:06 AM
WonByOne
Instructor

Looks like a few small scratches in #4...the cel seems like it was due to poor connection to the #6 coil pack. I cleaned all the wires and connections, cleaned iac, maf and filter. Changed oil and it's running great with no cel but there is the tick so we will see how long #4 lasts and if it gets worse or runs for awhile... Here's a photo of the scoring up towards the bottom of cylinder. I don't think their bore scope was the best but it did show some scoring.

Last edited by WonByOne; 11-22-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Please help, bought used and may have bitten off more than...