Sponsored by:

DME ignitions - who cares?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts
Default DME ignitions - who cares?

Wondering why people care about this so much. I see so many threads with people talking about how the cars need to be driven and pushed hard. If the are driven like Miss Daisey then dont buy them. So then why is there so many cars for sale and every seller claims "low Igntions" or "No ignitions". I thought the point was to drive the crap out of these cars. Why care if some one bounces of the rev limiter a time or two. I know there is a member on here who bought his car as an old michelin test car and its DME report is so high it stoped counting (if i recall correctly). It just makes me laugh how so many people talk about dont by really low mileage cars that have been babied but yet the sellers are all about the DME.....i just dont get it.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:18 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 956 Likes on 597 Posts

Anything above a range 2 can be a big deal if there are a lot of them. Habitual over-revs cause extra stress on an engine. A money-shift can destroy an engine, so a single recent range 4 or more could spell trouble very soon. It’s all part of building an accurate picture of car health.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:53 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Porsche say if a range 2 is over 130 hours ago you're "in the clear" anything before that the engine is in danger of having been destroyed...
Old 11-19-2018, 08:48 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

My car is the Michelin Research and Development test car that is maxed out on level 1 over-revs. It has a little over 3 seconds above level 2. The level 2 over-revs occurred many years and 50+k miles ago, so they obviously didn't do any damage. There have been posters that stated their engines failed with fewer level 2 over revs than mine. The problem with the 996 data is that only two levels are recorded, and only level 2 has significance. The over revs on my car were likely just over the limit, where these other owners may have had a money shifts with rpms in the 9k to 10k, range or more.

I will be tracking my car at Road Atlanta next week. Potential for more level ones!
Old 11-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
My car is the Michelin Research and Development test car that is maxed out on level 1 over-revs. It has a little over 3 seconds above level 2. The level 2 over-revs occurred many years and 50+k miles ago, so they obviously didn't do any damage. There have been posters that stated their engines failed with fewer level 2 over revs than mine. The problem with the 996 data is that only two levels are recorded, and only level 2 has significance. The over revs on my car were likely just over the limit, where these other owners may have had a money shifts with rpms in the 9k to 10k, range or more.

I will be tracking my car at Road Atlanta next week. Potential for more level ones!
This is exactly what i am talking about. A true car that has been pushed to its limits and beyond. Still holds tight without issues. I drive my car twice a week to work, 25 miles each way, all highway. I love to push it. If no one is around i have no issue taking it over 120+. I've bounced it off the rev limiter a time or too. But i don't worry about it. I enjoy using my car and seeing others do the same. I could understand a money shift. I haven't pulled me DME report as all of my scan tools are not capable. But the day i do. I will post it on the fridge as a badge of honor.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:02 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

When I checked my 996 before buying it, it had 997 in Range 1.
I wish the previous owner could have had just one less.
Since then I've added a bunch more in range 1!
Since I own a Durametric, I wouldn't buy any running Porsche without taking a look.
Any recent ignitions in range 2 would warrant a lower price, or walking away.

My Snap-on Ethos Pro scanner(v16.x) can do everything my Durametric Professional can do, and can give me all the details I need (including camshaft deviation) except for over-rev information.
Does anyone know of any other scanner(or Snap-on scanner software version) that can give that info?
My Snap-on is my go-to diagnostic device because it is SO much faster/easier than firing up the old Toughbook, and wheeling my laptop station (with my oscilloscope and probes) over to the car.
I really wish it could also give me over-rev info.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
When I checked my 996 before buying it, it had 997 in Range 1.
I wish the previous owner could have had just one less.
Since then I've added a bunch more in range 1!
Since I own a Durametric, I wouldn't buy any running Porsche without taking a look.
Any recent ignitions in range 2 would warrant a lower price, or walking away.

My Snap-on Ethos Pro scanner(v16.x) can do everything my Durametric Professional can do, and can give me all the details I need (including camshaft deviation) except for over-rev information.
Does anyone know of any other scanner(or Snap-on scanner software version) that can give that info?
My Snap-on is my go-to diagnostic device because it is SO much faster/easier than firing up the old Toughbook, and wheeling my laptop station (with my oscilloscope and probes) over to the car.
I really wish it could also give me over-rev info.
I have a Snap On Verus Pro V18.2. I know it shows camshaft deviation but i am/was not aware it shows ignition counts. Perhaps it is named something different or i just didn't realize it when i looked.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:48 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
I have a Snap On Verus Pro V18.2. I know it shows camshaft deviation but i am/was not aware it shows ignition counts. Perhaps it is named something different or i just didn't realize it when i looked.
Yeah, I haven't been able to find ignition counts on mine.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

I think it's just a side effect of the preciousness that comes with the brand.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:04 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
This is exactly what i am talking about. A true car that has been pushed to its limits and beyond. Still holds tight without issues. I drive my car twice a week to work, 25 miles each way, all highway. I love to push it. If no one is around i have no issue taking it over 120+. I've bounced it off the rev limiter a time or too. But i don't worry about it. I enjoy using my car and seeing others do the same. I could understand a money shift. I haven't pulled me DME report as all of my scan tools are not capable. But the day i do. I will post it on the fridge as a badge of honor.
You understand that using machines outside the tolerance zones is not good, right? Pushing a car isn't the same as banging it off the rev-limiter as a habit and money shifting. The two are not the same thing, hence the focus on how much wear has taken place at engine operating limits. I drove mine as intended but actually caused fewer range 1s than prior owners, go figure.

It's a heuristic, certainly not perfect but reasonable for people to reference when buying/selling.

Quick Reply: DME ignitions - who cares?