Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Best price on LN IMS Retrofit parts? & how to prove the IMSB work has been done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:34 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by danielcooper9
The seller on the ebay link is LN? or who? Someone mentioned Charles but I don't understand why these would be offered on ebay cheaper than LN's website?
The seller on ebay is "type4store". There are multiple retailers of the LN products, this one chose a retail price that is attractive to buyers. Another vendor that I used to buy my bearing was Roger at 928sRUS.com. He sells plenty of parts for 996 He's a nice guy, ask him for a price. He does not sell on ebay, but may match their price if possible.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:23 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Don't forget the prequalification steps documented with pictures. I as a buyer would be leery of a DIY job! Not saying you can't do it right but a professional installation is worth its weight in gold to me...
^^ "Professionals" make mistakes all the time because the quicker they do the job the more $$ they make - they also often get paid to fix what they screwed up in the first place. This is my whole impetus for doing as much work myself as possible (all except for the most intense stuff like a full engine re-build - hence sending my motor to FSI). I have a fairly comprehensive set of tools, a comfortable work-space, I take my time, fair mechanical skills and I work carefully and pay attention. This is not to say that "a DIY job" is automatically a good one, just that it shouldn't be disqualified out of hand. Also, not all "professionals" are bad or incompetent - not by any means...I just wouldn't automatically assume something was done correctly unless I had personal experience with said "Professional"...
Old 11-19-2018, 01:27 PM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

FS IMS kit $490
Hello, I have a 2003 targa and I have a kit that I bought and was doing seals, plugs, water tak, water pump and IMS as part of preventative maintenance .When we pulled engine I found out I have a newPorsche engine fitted in 2010, so kit is no good.Read below
​​​​​​Hello finally worked it out, sorry for confusion.
My kit is RND engines part for a 2002-2005 911 and 986 boxster.
Go to web site Inengineering.com, put in part # 106-08.2R and it brings up single row roller bearing kit for 2002-2005 porsche 911, my price with Seal $490.
The kit is now priced at $699 on there website, maybe I have priced mine low especially with new seal as well.
I have receipt and registration card
Thanks
John
Old 11-19-2018, 02:46 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
^^ "Professionals" make mistakes all the time because the quicker they do the job the more $$ they make - they also often get paid to fix what they screwed up in the first place. This is my whole impetus for doing as much work myself as possible (all except for the most intense stuff like a full engine re-build - hence sending my motor to FSI). I have a fairly comprehensive set of tools, a comfortable work-space, I take my time, fair mechanical skills and I work carefully and pay attention. This is not to say that "a DIY job" is automatically a good one, just that it shouldn't be disqualified out of hand. Also, not all "professionals" are bad or incompetent - not by any means...I just wouldn't automatically assume something was done correctly unless I had personal experience with said "Professional"...
+996!!!
I had a car(2001 Honda Accord with 160K miles) towed to me last Thursday.
A local shop had told the owner the engine had leaked oil into the coolant and the entire engine needed replacing and that's why it wouldn't run smoothly and had no power.
They quoted her $2500 to repair with a used engine.
They charged her $75 for their diagnosis.
She stopped there because it acted up just a few blocks from them and didn't think she could make it to my place.
She had it towed from their place to mine.

Because I'd worked on her car before,(just 2 weeks before) and because of who she was, the car got bumped up to nearly the top of my list.
(I had ordered a valve cover gasket a couple of weeks ago, and told her to bring it by soon because it was leaking badly.)
I finally got to it late on Friday.
Radiator was full of nice green coolant...hmmm
The crankcase was a little low on oil, but not out.
No milkshake on oil cap...hmmm
The oil was nice and clean(2 weeks old in fact)...the outside of the engine was filthy from the valve cover gasket leak.
I added a quart of oil and it started up, but had a bad misfire in cylinder #2.
The car had 150psi across all 4 cylinders...hmmm
I found that oil had leaked into the distributor and had pooled up around the cylinder #2 post.

...to make a long story not quite as long as it could be...

On Saturday I replaced the distributor seal, installed a new cap and rotor, new wires and plugs, and the valve cover gasket and away it went Saturday evening.
I got a text from her later saying the car had a lot more power and was much smoother.

Total cost to the customer...$43.
Total she should have been charged by the shop IMHO, $300-$400.

BTW, I provide free labor and reduced/free parts for low income individuals.
...and NO, if you own a Porsche 996, you don't qualify!

I've profited before from people making bad diagnoses.
I bought a Fiat X1/9 back in the early 90s for $100 (I paid off the mechanic's lien) that had a "blown headgasket" that turned out to only need a new $8 timing belt.
Broken timing belt can also cause no compression.
The mechanic who made that diagnosis was a trained aircraft mechanic.
He worked in the shop with me...we gave him a hard time for years over that mistake!
I sold the Fiat a few months later for $1600. (over 3 months rent at the time)

I've made mistakes working on cars and had to redo my work.
It happens.
I hate when it does, so I've learned to minimize my mistakes.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:54 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

My sad saga. I have a 06 Dodge megacab 4x4 crew truck. It actually goes off highway, and is used in the snow regularly. I had a 'professional' shop work on my xfer case as the chain would jump and make a loud crack. First time through, they replaced the drive sprocket and chain, but not the driven sprocket. Of course, after 11,000 miles and 9 months, it was doing it again. Back to the same shop. New chain, both sprockets, but didn't replace the PTO bearing and seal. ATF leaks out because the bearing is wobbly, chain wears, and jumping again after 6200 miles and 7 months. Back to the same shop. This time, I gave clear and concise instructions: Remove and replace the chain, both sprockets, input shaft front and rear bearings, PTO front bearing, both seals. We will see how it goes.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:02 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by danielcooper9
The seller on the ebay link is LN? or who? Someone mentioned Charles but I don't understand why these would be offered on ebay cheaper than LN's website?
We have returned or blemished product that has been repackaged and is fully functional on eBay. It's basically our factory outlet.

We have had so many complaints from buyers who have purchased product from various eBay sellers, only to find the product has been previously installed or is damaged and can't be installed, followed by those sellers not refunding customers their money.

We periodically will match pricing from other sellers to try to ensure you can buy from us with confidence.

Hopefully that resolves your question as to why we have product listed for less than retail on eBay.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:25 PM
rechtien
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

I purchased my spin on filter adapter and mag drain plug via the LN eBay store. Both arrived looking new. Both listed as returns if I recall.

Quick Reply: Best price on LN IMS Retrofit parts? & how to prove the IMSB work has been done?