Sponsored by:

old member-new ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 05:13 PM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old member-new ride

Hey all- Been away from the p-car world for almost 9yrs when I sold my 964 (DOH!!!) to a buddy...You know the old p-car selling sob story, the kiddos had sports, school stuff, marriage, work, locust, plague, yada yada...

Well I was recently test driving caymans so thought would end up on the dark side but no...so instead yday I was a bit bored at work and picked this up on BAT for 20k https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-carrera-21 so much for a PPI ...LOL

Now I am flying to SLC next Thursday (yes T-giving) with my 16yo son to drive her back to NJ...someone say road trip?!?

Just need to sort out payment with seller...he just emailed preference for a wire transfer BUT I prefer using a certified check (wells fargo) and exchanging for title in person, notary etc and would scan/email copy of the check prior as proof...any thoughts?

Plan is to get her ready over the winter for some track days next spring at NJMP.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:27 PM
sb3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome back.

Yes. In person with a certified check is the way to go. Should be a fun road trip, look out for snow/ice.

I know how you feel selling your 964. I sold my 1992 964 C2 back in 2002, Doh! I ended up recently getting a 1999 C4 and am now setting it up as a track car now.

Enjoy!
Old 11-16-2018, 06:53 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

I was watching that auction on BaT. I think you got a lot of car for your money. Welcome to 996 land.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Yes, wire transfer bad idea. Unless you are on the phone with the receiving bank and get the codes by phone from the bank. A friend of mine used an e-mail (that was fake) for the codes and lost a lot of $$$.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually make arrangements to meet at a bank and do the transaction there. Sometimes cash....sometimes cashiers check.

Just double check the title. I purchased a car on MO. They handed me title and I handed them cash. no problem. Except in MO they will issue you a title with a lien still on the vehicle. I didn't know that. In Illinois, the lender will keep custody of the title until loan is paid off. I live in IL so I assumed title was clear when they handed it to me.

Couldn't get the car titled for a few weeks.

It all worked out, it was just a little PITA going back and forth to get more paperwork.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Glad to hear it and welcome back!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:59 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't wire anyone the money, meet in person and do the transaction. I usually meet people at a bank or a police station it just makes it easier.

Looks and sounds great BTW
Old 11-17-2018, 11:25 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Seller here. One thing I realized is that cash is an option in the bank. I could let you drive it & look over the receipts, then transfer payment and keys at the bank. Since it would be a branch of your bank, no need to travel with any funds and no lag on processing.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:58 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Seller here. One thing I realized is that cash is an option in the bank. I could let you drive it & look over the receipts, then transfer payment and keys at the bank. Since it would be a branch of your bank, no need to travel with any funds and no lag on processing.
I completely agree, not only is this safer for both parties, its convenient to have a notary right there if need be. Buyer isn't carrying 20g's in cash, and the seller doesn't have to after either. I know when I sell things I am not so comfortable knowing the buyer knows I now have X amount of cash on me or in my house. Who knows what goons he could send back by later that day. If the transaction is after bank hours or a weekend there is a pretty good shot its in your house. Now as a seller if you are asking me to meet at your bank and I don't have an account there, I simply open one and then move the money if need be to my bank via wire transfer. Or just leave the account open as a separate play money account
Old 11-18-2018, 10:22 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Congrats man. Great car.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:50 AM
boze_man
Pro

Thanks to all for the replies!...and thanks to the seller for a great car! Looking forward to driving her back with my son...

Tony- Agree, think your cash idea at a wells branch makes the most sense for both of us. We can also have the bill of sale notarized for free at the bank.

Since the title will not be in sellers hands till about Dec1 is a bill of sale and possession enough protection in case the state delays title release or it gets lost etc?
What about in-transit tag? Do I have seller leave Utah plates on and send back when he has title? Or does that pose a risk for the seller from a liability standpoint? Obviously I will have vehicle insured for my trip back. I checked on NJ DMV website and 30d transit tag requires title?

Any thoughts? Not sure what I did when I bought my 964. Think seller left tags on vehicle as they conveyed...some states I know the tag stays with vehicle and some the tag belongs to person...
Old 11-19-2018, 11:05 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Congratulations. Nice car!
Old 11-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by boze_man
Thanks to all for the replies!...and thanks to the seller for a great car! Looking forward to driving her back with my son...

Tony- Agree, think your cash idea at a wells branch makes the most sense for both of us. We can also have the bill of sale notarized for free at the bank.

Since the title will not be in sellers hands till about Dec1 is a bill of sale and possession enough protection in case the state delays title release or it gets lost etc?
What about in-transit tag? Do I have seller leave Utah plates on and send back when he has title? Or does that pose a risk for the seller from a liability standpoint? Obviously I will have vehicle insured for my trip back. I checked on NJ DMV website and 30d transit tag requires title?

Any thoughts? Not sure what I did when I bought my 964. Think seller left tags on vehicle as they conveyed...some states I know the tag stays with vehicle and some the tag belongs to person...
You can ask the owner to let you use the plates and then mail them back after you've completed registration in your home state. I have however driven a vehicle home without one and was pulled over, showed the officer the bill of sale from earlier in the day and was let free, however you can only drive strictly home or to the DMV to get plates. This was a couple years ago so not sure if this is still permissible.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:53 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by boze_man

Great, payment squared away

For the title, I'll have a bill of sale from the bank. That plus possession should work though waiting an extra week would allow title processing and I could hand it to you directly. Whichever fits your schedule best. There's an outside chance I have to travel the first week of December but that's looking doubtful right now.

You can keep the Utah plates. I'll keep it insured through USAA until the title is in your name. You should have it insured from day one so both of us are protected. Even if you were able to get temp tags it's likely easier to keep the Utah ones on and then clean up with a formal temp tag from NJ once it's available.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:10 PM
boze_man
Pro

Sounds like we got most of the pieces in place....just need the weather to cooperate!

Quick Reply: old member-new ride