996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Leaking Doors

Old 11-14-2018, 04:27 PM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Leaking Doors

Hi Gang....I have been battling sporadic wet carpet for the past year in the front passenger side a few times, and the rear passenger side once. I'd dry them out, and it'd be fine for awhile. I cleared all the sunroof drains and cleared the drains near the battery (not sure if any of them were clogged in the first place). We've been having some major rain in the Northeast and i randomly happened to touch the bottom part of my passenger side door, and the door panel was not tight against the door. I felt underneath and it was soaked! I felt the driver's side door and that was soaked as well. I've read about a membrane needing to be replaced, but it seemed like a pretty expensive part. I do have aftermarket speakers from previous owner, and i'm wondering if they were unable to put the panel on correctly for a tight fit, or if the membrane is even there anymore.

A couple questions: Do you guys know how exactly the membrane works? Does it prevent water from getting into the door from the bottom of the door? I'm unsure as to which part of the door needs to be sealed off to prevent water. Are there any alternatives to getting this fixed, besides purchasing a new membrane for each door? Seal it with plastic or use rubber stripping from the hardware store? Any ideas would be helpful.....Temps are below freezing now and i don't want the water to freeze inside the doors.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Yes, the door membranes behind the door panel prevent water from getting inside. I would pull the door panels and check. If the aftermarket speakers are keeping the door membrane from sealing, then you might have to find correct ones, or some other way of sealing along the bottom edges.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking Doors